PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Ess-six
    Ess-six Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear about hubby's job Dink 1 - my DH lost his job 3 weeks ago when the firm went belly-up, and he's been working for an agency since - the money's much less, but at least it was still coming in. Then he got a call out of the blue yesterday from a firm he worked for years ago offering him a hob, and he starts on Monday - so keep you chin up, you never know what is around the corner.

MrsM - my parsnips have finally decided to put in an appearance - so thanks very much for the tip:T - now have beans, carrots, chilli peppers and 'normal' peppers, spinach and various herbs coming thru!

Jut about to update my siggy - spent £38 of the budget so far - however as I was laid-low with the flu over the weekend it was DH and DD that hit Mr T's, so not quite as much to show for it as I'd hoped - never mind.
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have had a baking day today; made
    2 x 5 cup fruit loaves ( netmums cookbook)
    2 banana loaves
    tray of flapjacks (netmums) used oatibix instead of oats
    batch of Nigellas choc brownies ( uses whole pack of butter)
    bacon, spring onion and cheese quiche
    sausage rolls using pastry trimmings with some sausagemeat got out for stuffing
    victoria sandwich
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • curly_cabbage
    curly_cabbage Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon All

Just popped in quickly to catch up that was 2 hours ago, big plus is that this is my 2nd NSD Yippeeeeee!!!!! and i'm hoping to make it to 5 this week.
    Have a good day

CC
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yesterday I spent £2.20 that was not really nec. Today I am making my own sandwiches and putting in some of my own salad leaves..... I,m so proud. I mean I,m taking sandwiches to work which include home grown salad leaves.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I managed to get out of Lidl's, spending only £4.91. Got cat food, 2 x 1.5 l juice, 1 mango, 1 pack cherry toms, 1l lemonade and 2 x 1.5kg bags of flour- am chuffed and still only using the leftover money! Not much left but hoping to make rest of the week very MSD's! I also got some more gardening bits, although not from grocery budget- some mint, another cherry tom plant and two baby leeks, some net to cover the strawb/courgette plants, oh yeah and another window box/tub thing to put the leeks in! Been pottering again, although restricted to the porch really as its teeming down here today! Knitting/fish cake making for the rest of the afternoon me thinks!
    Managed to scrape the car, long story, kind of my fault :o but its kind of on the bottom and not too obvious!
    Have updated my sig.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    hi, me again, i cant leave this site alone...,anyway went mr t this morning to stock up on some bits and pieces,stuff to take away with us on thursday and spent £31 not bad!!nipped into MIL's on way home and she'd picked some ruhbarb from her garden and offered me some.hubby loves ruhbarb but ive never had it!! anyway i made a oaty ruhbarb crumble, i might be brave enough to try it after tea..oh ps.... tea is pasta the one that JO advertises for mr S, got everything except creme fraiche which i also got today... feed ur family for a 5er my a**e more like £2 LOL
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    angelnikki wrote: »
    galadriel were you trying to post this? I haven't made it yet but it looks really yummy. Thanks PPM

Yes Nikki thanks, I made it to go with pasta and a veg sauce, it was so easy and delicious, have seen another recipe for a cheese and chive one that I want to try next.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yesterday was another nsd (2 in a row) as oh worked late and they fed him and I had 1 of the 3 portions of the soya chilli and rice I had put by in the freezer from Sundays meal, We used to eat the lot at one sitting between us:o this time I got 5 portions!:eek: :D To make it all go further, I am serving it up with a salad made from whatever I have in the fridge, yesterdays salad was couple of lettuce leaves, some leftover orange pepper chopped up, 1 tomato and some just about eatable cucmber with some lemon juice as a dressing. Roll on tomorrows veg and fruit box delivery:rolleyes:

This morning, after a visit to my drs, I popped into our local mill shop and bought a couple bags of organic wm flour, bag of doves yeast and a huge bag of porridge oats for £6.25 (first spend of the month) so now I need to get some baking done, have to go the healthy route now as I have high bp, been told that oats are good for lowering cholestrol.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    No spend day for me as I had to come home from work early as I have a streaming cold. Haven't got the energy to go out and spend money. Am hoping DS can be persuaded to eat the left over curry from last night, it's far too hot for me as he added some hot sauce stuff to it after I had taken my portion.
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add some boiled potatoes - makes it go further and cuts the heat of the sauce.
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family