Forum Home » Shop but don't drop

Great “Battle of the Brands” Hunt - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Great “Battle of the Brands” Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
90 replies 34.4K views
12345679»

Replies

• No one's mentioned Asda's 'Malted Wheats', they taste identical to 'Shreddies' but are about a third cheaper, the Coop equivalent is pretty good too. But i can't compromise on 'Weetabix' or 'Kelloggs Cornflakes' as nothing else comes close.

We buy branded all the time as most taste/perform the same and are much better value for money, only exceptions are: Branston Pickle, Muller Yoghurt, Warburtons Seeded Batch Loaf and also their Crumpets, Felix Cat Food in jelly, Bold Liquitabs and of course Fairy Washing Up Liquid.
  • Ive just discovered Sunny Bisks at Asda... they are like Weatabix but work out to be about 2p per biscuit! Cheap and more crunchy than their more expensive counterparts.
  • mcgi6ah2mcgi6ah2 Forumite
    109 posts
    Gillette razor blades are probably the best. Haven't found any other brand as good - including Wilkinson etc.
  • lawrie28lawrie28 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one's mentioned Asda's 'Malted Wheats', they taste identical to 'Shreddies' but are about a third cheaper, the Coop equivalent is pretty good too. But i can't compromise on 'Weetabix' or 'Kelloggs Cornflakes' as nothing else comes close.

We buy branded all the time as most taste/perform the same and are much better value for money, only exceptions are: Branston Pickle, Muller Yoghurt, Warburtons Seeded Batch Loaf and also their Crumpets, Felix Cat Food in jelly, Bold Liquitabs and of course Fairy Washing Up Liquid.

What is it about the Felix in Jelly that you particularly enjoy?:p Surely the cat could cope with something else? Or can you not do what the guy did in the adverts and swap the laels around so the moggy never new??
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i have been buying asda value items for the past 3 weeks and i have cut my shopping bill from £120 pw to £40 pw.is there anything you would not buy a cheaper version of ? for me its fairy washing up liquid and comfort.:A
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ooh there is another thread about this somewhere, I will have a look when the kids let me, and merge them for you.

Well done on such a big saving. i think from that result there is proof you don't need to buy branded goods!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • surfsistersurfsister Forumite
    7.5K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    value tea bags at asda are awful!! I use the cheap washing up liquid to pour over stains before washing t=in the machine works a treat on collars of shirts etc.
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    There is no alternative to Marmite thank goodness:p I've tried a product that is supposed to be similar but _pale_

Norwegian Formula Hand Cream lasts for ages & doesn't irritate our skin.

Lurrrrve MrT value vanilla ice cream in the 2lt tub, & also their value strawberry ice cream sauce.

Can't think of anything else that is brand-specific, apart from alcohol of course & then you'd have to ask the offspring cuz I don't have a favourite.....I rarely drink booze full stop, so it very much depends on my mood at the time.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have been fine with Tescos own yeast extract - it's worth a try!

Body shop body butter is a bit expensive but it lasts ages and I use it all over, its good for stopping new shoes giving you blisters, and for very dry hands. My Dad used to use Norwegian formula and you are right from what i remember you dont need to use a lot either.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Penny1981Penny1981 Forumite
    92 posts
    Tesco Value face wipes are brilliant for removing make up i think they are about 45p and they smell really fresh
    TTC #1 02/11
    :jEED 12/11:j
    MFW by 2020 Currently £91,272.49 28/06/11