🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Signing up for call1899/18866/18185

Options

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1645j wrote:
    Hi, I have just been reading the latest news letter and was interested in the 1899 telephone service,however, in the newsletter martin says it costs 3p for a connection to a land line OK I understand that,however, when I go to the 1899 web site it clearly states that calls to UK Fixed land lines are Free.
    so I am confused :confused:

Can anyone clear this up for me please. :beer:

If you are on a BT landline the cost per minute to 01/02 numbers are free, however there is a 3p conn charge for each call answered
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• 1645j
    1645j Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    derrick wrote:
    If you are on a BT landline the cost per minute to 01/02 numbers are free, however there is a 3p conn charge for each call answered

So what you are saying is calls to a 01904 number are free apart from the 3p connection charge.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    1645j wrote:
    So what you are saying is calls to a 01904 number are free apart from the 3p connection charge.
    From a registered BT landline , calls of any duration to any UK 01 or 02 number are free except for a 3p connection charge.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • 1645j
    1645j Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    From a registered BT landline , calls of any duration to any UK 01 or 02 number are free except for a 3p connection charge.

Thanks for clarifying that
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • Sixth_Sense
    Options
    Go to MSE homepage and scroll down to The UK's Cheapest Home Phone Calls Provider and you will be able to work this out through Martin's comparison tables.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Im with telewest for my telephone, broadband and tv.... is it better for me to switch to just dial? I have free weekend & evening calls, but they charge me a 5p connection charge on each of these calls..... If im goin to be better off, can someone tell me what to do?
    Regards
    Nicky
  • pricefighter
    pricefighter Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Nicky321 wrote:
    Im with telewest for my telephone, broadband and tv.... is it better for me to switch to just dial? I have free weekend & evening calls, but they charge me a 5p connection charge on each of these calls..... If im goin to be better off, can someone tell me what to do?
    Regards
    Nicky

You cannot switch to Just Dial if your a cable customer.Only BT customers can CPS their calls.
    PF.
  • Happy_saver_4
    Options
    Sometimes users receive an email saying that capacity is currently full and to try again in six weeks when signing up for 1899,

[/b]Should this happen, sign up again using a mobile number and once you get the email saying you are registered go back into your profile and add your landline number and all should be well.

Used this tip last night..

When using my landline number I recieved the reply "registration refused - capacity full; try again in 6 weeks"

Went straight back and registered with my mobile number and rec'd the reply " congratulations - registration accepted" Now I've added the landline number.

Thanks for the tip :T
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing
    " Large print giveth - small print taketh away. "
  • LisaH_3
    Options
    Hi there. I also signed up to 1899 online couple days ago.Very long numbers to dial so will be curious if it's all worth it.Im with Telewest. I read just about everything.If you havent had a confirmation email it could be that your email address is blocked.I'm with aol and they put it into the spam folder and with other ISP's.I think in FAQs you will find the info you need.They say you need to use another email ad.I went Yahoo.You could test it out yourself now by dialling the 0808 1708 708 and then wait for the prompt.You can also find out your customer no by calling 0808 170 1899.Remember you still need to dial the std code regardless. Hope this helps.
  • vobrien
    Options
    Hi there, new to MSE, great site.

But getting seriously fed up with 1899 and 18866.

Have been trying to sign up to 1899 for two weeks now, no joy, just same 'no capacity' message keeps appearing. So this morning tried 18866 and got same message. Then read this thread and suggestion from Edinburghlass and tried the mobile alternative suggestion on both sites. STILL getting same message. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone else experienced the same?

I sent them an email last week asking what the problem was and got a standard email back, saying to try again in 6 months! I replied (irritated) saying that they should perhaps put this on their home page rather than letting people take the time to go through the registration process, inputting personal bank details etc. to then find out they can't sign up. May they have blocked me from being able to sign up? It's just I notice that a couple of other people have been able to sign up with the mobile number idea and I still can't.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family