🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Signing up for call1899/18866/18185

Options

Comments

• Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, i signed upto 18185 this evening and to test it i phoned my mobile number but got through to someone else , i tried it again and it happened again, i went online to check my account and i dialled number right, does this happen often?
    Sandra
    Never happened to me - after several years using them (and others).

If it happens again, see if you can find out the number you've been put through to. That may help to work out what's happening.

V
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    Never happened to me - after several years using them (and others).

If it happens again, see if you can find out the number you've been put through to. That may help to work out what's happening.

V

If you complain they respond as follows.

"Dear Customer,

We strive to provide the best service we can, for as cheap as possible and unfortunately this means that we cannot always guarantee that the connection will be perfect. In this case, there are too many people trying to use the service to one area, and this has created a problem for you. While we constantly upgrade our services to accommodate the service levels necessary, it can take time for the line to become reliable and you will either have to keep trying during this time, or use your normal service provider.

In the meantime we have reported this incidence, and the accompanying details to our technical team and have asked them to look into the issue.

Kindest regards,
    Customer Services."
  • eagertosave
    Options
    was wondering if 07744/55 numbers were considered as standard moblie numbers by 18185
    thanks
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    was wondering if 07744/55 numbers were considered as standard moblie numbers by 18185
    thanks
    I'm pretty sure they are. In any case, you should get the price announcement at the start confirming it's 6p per minute or whatever.

V
  • eagertosave
    Options
    so that makes a better option to call certain international destinations. those which cost more than 6p/min obviously; like many middle eastern countries. so if u want to call dubai, wud u say, this is much better than the 0871 numbers shown my MSE as the cheapest?
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    so that makes a better option to call certain international destinations. those which cost more than 6p/min obviously; like many middle eastern countries. so if u want to call dubai, wud u say, this is much better than the 0871 numbers shown my MSE as the cheapest?
    Best to try it and see what happens (You can access your 18185 online bill very shortly after each call has been made).

Of course, it is just possible they have withdrawn access to these routes if they were making a big loss on them.

V
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    I like the text messaging facility on 18866! I find it very handy as I hate typing texts on my phone and prefer to do it on a keyboard! They also only charge 1-2p to send texts worldwide and I have found it pretty reliable.
  • Mihail_3
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    If you're with another line provider but are still able to use the 4 or 5-digit prefixes, great. Beware though, your line provider could bar such access without telling you, route your calls itself and charge you its own rates.
    Heinz wrote: »

I have been on Talk Talk International 2 package for 9 months and recently they started barring my access to the excellent 18185 (as recommended by MSE)
    The explanation they gave was that I had been transferrred to a Talk Talk exchange (from a BT one) and their new 'system' did not allow overrides such as 18185,111 Discount Dial or whatever. A Talk Talk engineer called me to say there were 'no exceptions to this bar, it is 100% complete'.
    Is this restrictive behaviour legal? Isn't there a legal principle about restraint of trade-in this case 18185 or other override companies- which Talk Talk are in breach of?
    I called Oftel who were typically toothless on the issue and referred me to the Otelo telephone ombudsman.

It all seems very time consuming to resolve , given that we are stuck with 18 month Talk Talk contracts and now expensive, exclusive Talk Talk bills with landline to mobile calls.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Mihail
  • zolabud_2
    zolabud_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I too am on Talk Talk International 2.And was quite cross when their prices went up,so I signed up with 18185.
    (Have to call 0808 1 703 703) and asked a few questions on this site and was told that Talk Talk would probably bar the calls.
    I have found over the last couple of months,that some numbers work,and some don't.It can be any time of day,to local or 0845's or 0870's....Everytime I ring,and I get no answer,I ring again,without the prefix,and they answer.
    So I thought Talk Talk had barred my calls.
    It has gone on like this for the last month,and I will be interested to get my next bill from Talk Talk,due in the next few days.

How did they cut you off?
    Did they stop your calls completely,or did they allow you to access your numbers using the prefix and just not let you get through?
    Did Talk Talk contact you?

Sorry for all the questions,but I'm interested.
  • Phil_Kerridge
    Options
    :T Re the 1899 site,I have no probs getting my account details, and they certainly take debit cards. I've used them for a number of years and have no complaints
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport