Signing up for call1899/18866/18185

Options

Comments

• msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Its 1899 and yes they are free to 01/02 numbers but there is a connection charge of 5p so this is all you pay no matter how long you are on the phone for.

Hi,

I made a phone call to 0207 number. When I press the hash key, the machine told me that the cost of the phone will be 1p per minute. I have checked my recent calls and 20p has deducted for 15 minutes call time. The same thing happens will I dial 0121 (Birmingham) number.

So is it really free? At present it's charging 1p per minute.

Thanks
    M
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    msaquib wrote: »
    I made a phone call to 0207 number. When I press the hash key, the machine told me that the cost of the phone will be 1p per minute. I have checked my recent calls and 20p has deducted for 15 minutes call time. The same thing happens will I dial 0121 (Birmingham) number.

So is it really free? At present it's charging 1p per minute.
    Calls via 1899, 18185 or 18866 to UK 01/02 numbers are only 5p connection and then "zero p per minute" from registered BT landlines when access is gained via the 4 or 5 digit prefix.

If you used one of the 0208 or 0808 gateway numbers, you will have been charged at the 1p/minute rate - as you say you were.

http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Calls via 1899, 18185 or 18866 to UK 01/02 numbers are only 5p connection and then "zero p per minute" from registered BT landlines when access is gained via the 4 or 5 digit prefix.

If you used one of the 0208 or 0808 gateway numbers, you will have been charged at the 1p/minute rate - as you say you were.

http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php

Heinz,

Thanks for this. Much helpfull.

M
  • Parisien
    Options
    I have used the 18185.co.uk site send 400 plus SMSs this last month, it was unreliable to use the first few days but worked well since and this morning despite 20 attempts it won't send, is this a general problem for everyone or just me!!??
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    Parisien wrote: »
    I have used the 18185.co.uk site send 400 plus SMSs this last month, it was unreliable to use the first few days but worked well since and this morning despite 20 attempts it won't send, is this a general problem for everyone or just me!!??
    When you say it won't send, what exactly do you mean?

I've used 18185 to send a couple of texts in the last few days, including one this morning, and both times it came up with the "Succesful" (sic) message.

Is this what you get, or something else?

V
  • Parisien
    Parisien Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It keeps going back to the login page even though I have already succesfully logged in, these people never replied to my e-mails, any other free/1p SMS service recommended?
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    Big probs on the 18866 site at the mo... It's not their normal site but coming up with lots of !!!!!! instead!!
  • Victor_Delta
    Options
    vjain wrote: »
    Big probs on the 18866 site at the mo... It's not their normal site but coming up with lots of !!!!!! instead!!
    It's working fine here...

V
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    vjain wrote: »

www.call18866.co.uk is working fine.

Note sister company www.18185.co.uk offers cheaper overall calls.;)
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have been using overide numbers the 0844 ones and never knew about these 188 things. thanks. the ones best for me are 18185 and 18866. thanks
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure