PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gooseberries

Options

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thursday evening would be a good day for me, MBE, to read and watch a gooseberry crumble unfold ;)
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thursday evening would be a good day for me, MBE, to read and watch a gooseberry crumble unfold ;)

I totally agree,having read your other cookery attempts, I will pour myself a drink and sit back and enjoy :rotfl:
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Should be ok for Thursday, I think. I might make a pie, not a crumble. A crumble's a bit easy, don'tcha think? :rotfl:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The easier the better in my book. And crumble's much nicer than pie. Can't stand goose-gogs though. Yeurgh.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Sadly, no time tonight. Working until 2130 tomorrow, also working on Saturday & Sunday, so really pushed for time. Some of the gooseberries have indentations, as though they're collapsing - does this mean they're going off, or is it just because they've been frozen? :confused:

I absolutely refuse to let them go to waste. Can I pre-cook them or something that would buy me more time? Or should they not be pre-cooked before being made into pie? Either that, or it'll have to be a crumble, as that's quicker and I've done one before. :rolleyes:

I'll be back (much) later to find out...cheers. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Aliss
    Aliss Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Make chutney! (only if you're actually gonna eat it, mind you!)

Otherwise make up a batch of very sweet muffins then include the gooseberries, cook, cool and refreeze. Should be ok.

I'm assuming you know how to do the above but if you don't just reply and I'll try and help!
    Aiming to pay off mortgage by my 30th birthday... £39438 to go!

"Had a documentary made about me" non-clique No.1, PM me to be added!
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably collapsing because the cell structures break down when frozen. You could cook them gently if you are worried, but I think I am seeing crumble as the end result rather than pie with a collapsed filling.
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you stew them? My mom will often stew apples if they start to look a bit dodgy rather than chuck them out (how did I become a spendaholic with a mother like that?), then she pops the stewed apples in the freezer (yes, I know they've already been frozen, but isn't it ok again once they've been cooked?).
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    I'll have a go at a crumble tomorrow. Hopefully. :rolleyes:
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Do I make the crumble the same way as the STC crumble here?

How much sugar should I put on the gooseberries? :confused:

Do I cook the gooseberries first in the same way as the apple and then put the crumble mixture on and then back in the oven? :confused:

Should I put anything else in with the gooseberries (e.g. cinnamon / cloves [yeah, I know that's for apples - what's for gooseberries? :D])
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure