Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Emergency food tin - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Emergency food tin

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
49 replies 28K views

Replies

• I used to serve Beanfeast when I cooked for flatmates and believe it or not I used to pad it out to make it go further! Baked beans in the spag bol, tinned toms in the chilli etc. Add some cheap rice and I could feed four adults.

A pack of plain soya mince would be cheaper than Beanfeast, but perhaps not quite so convenient.

What about a pudding for the tin? Economy brand tinned peaches don't cost a lot, or perhaps a pack of jelly.

There's a classic book about bedsit cookery by (I think) Katharine Whitehorn which lists the basic essentials ie dried herbs, mustard etc which can be used to make the plainest meals interesting. She reckoned it could all be fitted into a shoe box or similar, for bedsits with no kitchen cupboard!
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    we do economy jelly with economy mandarin oranges in. costs about 40p all told, and last 4 of us two nights.
  • What fantastic recipes, thank you all so much!

By the way - many thanks for pointing out that a laurel tree is the same as bay leaf - I am always cussing as I cut back this huge tree - while buying bay leaves from the supermarket - doh :o
  • oooh good idea - it actually sounds more appealing. I'd spotted a packet of beanfeast in the cupboard earlier tonight that I'd forgotten about. the only problem is - i don't want to pad it out - it serves 2 but there's only me in the house that is vegetarian.

I used to serve Beanfeast when I cooked for flatmates and believe it or not I used to pad it out to make it go further!  Baked beans in the spag bol, tinned toms in the chilli etc.  Add some cheap rice and I could feed four adults.

A pack of plain soya mince would be cheaper than Beanfeast, but perhaps not quite so convenient.

What about a pudding for the tin?  Economy brand tinned peaches don't cost a lot, or perhaps a pack of jelly.

There's a classic book about bedsit cookery by (I think) Katharine Whitehorn which lists the basic essentials ie dried herbs, mustard etc which can be used to make the plainest meals interesting.  She reckoned it could all be fitted into a shoe box or similar, for bedsits with no kitchen cupboard!
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumped for the proud parents wanting to prepare such a tin for their dear offspring off to Uni soon ... with many thanks to Squeaky for searching for it for me!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
    8.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Think if I was doing a basic box of store cupboard bits for my DD when shes older (shes 10 at the mo..lol) it would consist of:

Tinned
    Beans, tomatoes, kidney beans, sweetcorn, SM garden peas (nice at 13p each), spagetti, new potatoes, tuna, salmon, sardines, soups, butter beans, chopped ham and pork, rice pudding, custard, fruit.

Other bits
    Rice, pasta, lentils, suet, flours, sugar, baking powder, dried soya, salt, pepper, basic spices, dried milk, ketchup, HP, coffee, tea, squash, oil, gravy, stock cubes, pudding rice, semolina, oats, weetabix, jams, marmite, marmalade, peanut butter,chilli powder,biscuits, long life milk.

Theres probably tons more but these are items that can be used to bulk out items, flavouring etc-more store cupboard bits really. I would advise dd monthly to buy (fresh/frozen):

bread (3 loaves £0.57), butter (2 blocks £1.00), cheese (huge block £2.40), eggs ([email protected]£1.12), meat (mince,chops,small chicken/pieces)(£8.00), fruit (apples or bananas £3.00), pots (1.5kg weekly £1.95), veg (frozen cabbage, french beans-1 a week over month period £1.50), natural yogurt(SM 1 a week £1.24), SM juice (OJ or apple 1 a week £1.40)

Total rough spend = £22.18 = £5.55 p/week

If you have the main basics then you really dont have to spend alot on food items. DD could eat very well on the above.

Breakies-toast, porridge,weetabix, egg & toast, fruit juice, yogurt, fruit etc

Lunch-jacket spuds-tuna, cheese, beans-beans/spag on toast, soup, sandwiches

Dnners-chops spuds and veg, shepards pie, chilli and rice, chicken and something, stew & dumplings, toad in hole, roast dinner, curry...endless

Make extra to have next day...sorted ;) She'd have snacks too of whatever. DD is fussy with butter and some other items but she is only used to smart price stuff and think personally that most items taste no different.

Hope this helps someone-im bored and resting..so sorry for the long post...im going off my head at the moment :wall:

I only spend about £25 a week on food and we eat very well. Anyone needing any advice just ask...i have the time...if youve got the question...lol.

Take care

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penny pincher

Love your list!

Have DD at uni (starting second year)

Turns nose up at sardines, salmon , baked beans etc. etc.

When asked what she does like - she keeps moving the goalposts.:confused:

Eventually decided just to load her up with stuff that she will eat plus loads of toiletries etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does this emergency tin come with an emergency pick-up truck to carry it around icon12.gif
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    most students I know roll out of bed too late for breakfast, eat junk at lunchtime and have a liquid dinner icon12.gif
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • As you can see what I am I think the emergency food tin is a brilliant idea, could definately help during the next few weeks

would also like to suggest a link to beyond baked beans. co.uk

brilliant web site, cheap food and some good ideas for meaties and veggies

the books are brilliant and I managed to locate them at my local library so at least one of Martins tips is working "Dont buy - but Borrow"

Really scared how the next few months are going to go: redundancy money should be here within the next 14 days and then Oh my God - I knew I should have got into the saving habit earlier, but this was never going to happen to me

Is this what you call head in the sand syndrome.