Emergency food tin

1235»

Replies

• joe13 wrote:
    Great Idea for the food, my daughter would definately need a jar of marmite on her list- only eats toast and marmite for breakfast. but does anyone have a definitive list of other bits required at uni.
    I am just in the process of making up a box for my daughter who is off to uni. for the first time in September.
    She is going into halls of residence and I was suprised to learn that they have to take crockery, cutlery, bedside light etc. with them.
    So any suggestions from someone in the same position or anyone who sent a child to uni. last year.
    Include the basic cooking tools: old saucepan, wooden spoon, tin opener and corkscrew. Sell her a good knife for 1p (I'm superstitious.)
    I'd include a couple of Beanfeasts and some packet savoury rice for 'no brainer' emergency meals (put toast under the first and add tin of hotdogs to second).
    Write out any favourite easy recipes you make at home *by hand*. (I got terribly homesick when I went to Uni.)
  • Wow, thanks for the tips - my student diet is going to improve greatly - and hopefully my bank balance too. :beer:
  • My Tuppenceworth, an emergency food tin should be kept for emergencies. As such it should be kept somewhere inconvenient for day to day use, to prevent "borrowing" stuff that doesn't get replaced. IYSWIM

With that in mind I'd keep it to only items that have a long shelf life, and won't need replacing too frequently. Tinned items, like beans, sweetcorn, tomatos. Dried foods like lentils, rice. Stock cubes would be good. Possibly tinned meat (think you can get stewed beef in tins) or tinned tuna/other fish.

I regulary use dried garlic slices from the local chinese supermarket. Not seen dried onion before, but I believe you can buy it tinned. iirc a 10KG bag of rice costs about £10 from chinese supermarket, and will go a LONG way for a single guy (or even a couple - just realised you didn't specify).

I do stir-frys with onion, sweetcorn, peas, spinach and any generic meat (usually chicken, but could just as easily be anything esle) flavoured with (dried) garlic, and sometimes ginger (pureed in a jar). Serve with rice. I use frozen for most of the veg, but half a tin of each would work too.

Just a few thoughts from a single guy who moved out of home a few years ago, and totaly failed to stick to my budgets. A tin kept 'out of sight' somewhere with food in would of come in pretty handy a fw times.
  • competitionscafecompetitionscafe Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My 'emergency food tin' is whatever I can find lurking in the cupboards when I can't be bothered going to the shops. :) Always find the following useful: basmati rice, risotto rice, puy lentils, tinned toms, pasta, tinned tuna and frozen peas and chicken stock in the freezer or cubes (Kallo organic chicken or Marigold vegetable are both okay) for emergency. Of the shorter life stuff always good to have garlic, onions, eggs, lemons, parmesan/cheddar. Plus salt, pepper, olive oil, etc obviously.

All of the above gives you quite a few meal options, tomato sauce to go with pasta, basmati rice for pilaf - add frozen peas, tinned tuna, eggs (hard boiled, shelled and chopped) if you have them, risotto with peas and parmesan, puy lentils with tomato sauce, etc plus you can add whatever fresh veg you have and stocking the freezer with chicken portions, bacon, sausages etc will give you loads more options: pasta with tom sauce and chicken, chicken pilaf, puy lentils with tom sauce and sausages, risotto with chicken or bacon and peas, puy lentils with poached chicken or puy lentil salad, etc..
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a list of essential cupboard items in the excellent "Cooking for Blokes" trilogy, consisting of "Cooking for Blokes", Foreign Cooking for Blokes" and "Flash Cooking for Blokes", which the young man in question might be interested in.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • windrawindra Forumite
    199 Posts
    In my first year of uni i was in halls with 6 other people and we had one waist high freezer for all 6 of us, so tinned food is the way to go.

My cubourds always contains the following:

East End's tandori massala spice mix (absolutly gorgeous mixed into baked beans,really gives it an edge and is lovely in curries,caseroles and pizza's)

baked Beans

Soy sause + any of the following:
    honey,mustard,paprika,sqeezy tube of garlic, tomato paste,dried chilli flakes,chinese five spice(this one is GORGEOUS as an alternative to batter on fried chicken)...
    This is the staple of most of my meals, its amazing how many sauses you can make by mixing soy sause and its good with any meat or veg
    , and far better than takeaway.
  • AllegraAllegra Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Caterina wrote: »

If you pass a laurel (bay leaf) bush in a road that is not too busy with car traffic (to avoid lead deposits from car exhausts), take a few leaves - they go very well in bolognese sauce. Tear a couple of leaves and add to the cooking sauce.

Most laurels are actually poisonous - sweet bay is the only one that isn't. So be careful when helping yourself to someone's hedge - it could bite back ! :eek:
  • how about packets of ready flavoured dreid soya mince - Asda do several cheaply. You can add them to the tin of tomatoes and make pasta sauce.
  • faybeefaybee Forumite
    13 Posts
    Asda also do packets of veggie sausage mix. You can get about 8 sausages out of it by just adding water, and you don't have to make it all up at once, just weigh out half or quarter and reduce the amount of water accordingly. I like to make little 'meatballs' out of it and add it to tomato sauce for pasta- dead easy, and my meateater husband loves it.

To serve two:

Saute a clove or two of chopped garlic and a pinch of dried red chilli seeds (or flakes, or chilli powder, or fresh chilli, or leave it out if you like!) in around a tablespoon of oil (preferably olive) for around 5 minutes on a low heat, add 1 tin of tomatoes (i use plum and chop them in the pan...they're usually cheaper than chopped), a good pinch of salt, and some basil if you're feeling fancy. Simmer gently for about 10 mins, or as long as it takes for your 200g pasta to cook. Meanwhile, make up the sausage mix according to to the packet instructions, then roll into meatballs and saute in a little oil to 'seal' or brown. Drain the pasta, mix it all together and top with grated cheese if you like!

I use this basic sauce for most of my pasta dishes and it's lovely, if you want to add extra veg, such as mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, onions etc, just add them after the garlic has sauteed for a couple of mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides