Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Emergency food tin - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Emergency food tin

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
49 replies 28K views

Replies

• MrsB_2MrsB_2 Forumite
    659 posts
    First of all - dont panic. You're in the right place for lots and lots of AMAZING ideas for money saving and lots and lots of support while you need it.

Keep positive and remind yourself that this is a temporary situation because this is the chance to start anew and make your life whatever you want it to be.

Take care and good luck
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at our Welcome sticky at the top of the Old Style forum listing (or linked in my signature below). There's lots to read and lots of links that point you to other useful areas of the MoneySaving forums.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • joe13joe13 Forumite
    501 posts
    Great Idea for the food, my daughter would definately need a jar of marmite on her list- only eats toast and marmite for breakfast. but does anyone have a definitive list of other bits required at uni.
    I am just in the process of making up a box for my daughter who is off to uni. for the first time in September.
    She is going into halls of residence and I was suprised to learn that they have to take crockery, cutlery, bedside light etc. with them.
    So any suggestions from someone in the same position or anyone who sent a child to uni. last year.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joe13 wrote:
    Great Idea for the food, my daughter would definately need a jar of marmite on her list- only eats toast and marmite for breakfast. but does anyone have a definitive list of other bits required at uni.
    I am just in the process of making up a box for my daughter who is off to uni. for the first time in September.
    She is going into halls of residence and I was suprised to learn that they have to take crockery, cutlery, bedside light etc. with them.
    So any suggestions from someone in the same position or anyone who sent a child to uni. last year.
    Hi, :)

Take a look at the Student Board where you'll find lots of ideas, inspiration, and help.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • starlite_2starlite_2 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    you didn't add cous cous into the box...great stuff you can even make it with just a kettle..and much better than a pot noodle or other such instant foods.
    if you add spring onion, a few herbs and tom's or something it is a 5 minute, super easy dish, and you can buy pre flavoured ones these days pretty cheaply
    Membre Of Teh Misspleing Culb
    2.4K posts
    oooh...and add some ibuprofen and alka seltzers...plus plasters and other odds that students never think to buy until they need them!
  • Starlite wrote:
    oooh...and add some ibuprofen and alka seltzers...plus plasters and other odds that students never think to buy until they need them!

OOOH - what would they be then??? :p :eek:
    [
    2.4K posts
    hahahahahahhaaa
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joe13 wrote:
    The two threads I am very conscious of are List for University on the Student Board, which includes another link to the Studential site which has an absolutely comprehensive list of what you'll need in different kinds of student accommodation, and Daughter starting Uni on the Old-Style Board which is similar but longer and maybe chattier ...

I have to say my son is NOT impressed at my attempts to set him up with everything everyone else will forget so that he will have a constant stream of visitors to his room borrowing things he didn't want in the first place (like a corkscrew - he doesn't drink!) in the hope that these people will become friends, but I did point out to him that if I bought enough stuff there wouldn't be room for me as well as him, his father and all his junk in the car when he goes, and as I can't drive at the moment that would forestall the fond and tearful farewells on campus. This cheered him up!

My husband's not that impressed either: his memory is of being dropped on campus by his parents and abandoned to his own devices. Lucky him: I had to go by train on my own!

I don't think my son is going to need crockery and cutlery, but if I find he does I would trawl charity shops - and that's something your daughter could do once she gets to Uni!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Oh, Savvy_Sue, boys aren't very good at indulging their Mums are they? :rolleyes: And their Dads aren't much better either - my OH is doing LOTS of muttering about spoilt brats at the moment, as I fill yet another crate with could-be-really-really-useful items. I say he's just jealous because he wants to relive his (mis-spent) youth! :D I think we're going to have to take two cars.......son may have to get the train.....just kidding (I think!)
    [