We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diesel cars - Bl**** H*** !

1235»

Comments

  • Andy_Hamilton
    Andy_Hamilton Posts: 660 Forumite
    I recoupe most my MPG just by planning ahead for junctions. Easing off early can get you an extra 5mpg for even the shortest trip.
    Never freewheel as it take diesel to keep your engine turning over.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Just think how much you spent in petrol traveling to all the different stores to buy all that.

    Nothing as it was on works vehicle!
    Did you have to buy that number plate though?

    Yes Cheapo one from the DVLA Direct.
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    with antistipation you can save even more fuel something us HGV drivers do very well ,
    eg you can seen a trafic light at green in the distance ,you look at the juctions on the light to see if there is cars waiting, the trafic lights will change before you get there ,you start slowing down (not put foot down wastes fuel) not using fuel now ,you come up to the light and they change back to green and away you go again with out stopping, i now you cannot always do this becuse how traffic runns put out side rush hour trafic you can
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I think all you diesel enthusiasts are fooling yourselves regarding how noisy diesel engines are. I regularly drive a variety of diesel cars through work and I always notice the racket that happens when you start the engine.

    Try driving a decent one instead of a bargain basement fleet one.
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    VickyHurn wrote: »
    CLubcard Deals it took me 1 Quarter to amass £7100 in Tesco Vouchers £1775 Cash Value or £7100 in Clubcard Deals

    I purchased over a Thousand Packs of the 35p Garlic Tablets (Each gave £2 towards the car) and sold the Garlic off for what it cost me to a market trader


    Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 5 Door (Diesel with Air Con) (+ Visibility Pack)

    07 Reg with just 700 miles (UK Car with full 3 year warranty and RAC cover)


    "Paperwork shows it has been sitting in Gurnsey from a few weeks after registration off the road (some sort fo VAT scam I am told) "

    Tesco Deals Partner - Motorpoint

    Cost £8000 + £86.13 in charges

    £8086.13

    - £7100 Tesco Vouchers
    - £500 PX for my old banger that was going to be scrapped

    = £486.13 (Paid that on Credit Card a deposit)

    So although it cost me £486.13 I made that back with some well placed Double the Difference Deals, so worked out in the end at a ZERO Cost

    I think I'd better start using my club card
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Conor wrote: »
    Try driving a decent one instead of a bargain basement fleet one.

    I have tried some pretty good ones as well as the bog standard ones. The best one I've driven was an E Class Merc while I was over in Germany. I took it for a good run down the autobahn and it went quite well. I could still tell it was a diesel though - it wasn't as smooth as a petrol car.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    VickyHurn wrote: »
    CLubcard Deals it took me 1 Quarter to amass £7100 in Tesco Vouchers £1775 Cash Value or £7100 in Clubcard Deals

    I purchased over a Thousand Packs of the 35p Garlic Tablets (Each gave £2 towards the car) and sold the Garlic off for what it cost me to a market trader


    Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 5 Door (Diesel with Air Con) (+ Visibility Pack)

    07 Reg with just 700 miles (UK Car with full 3 year warranty and RAC cover)


    "Paperwork shows it has been sitting in Gurnsey from a few weeks after registration off the road (some sort fo VAT scam I am told) "

    Tesco Deals Partner - Motorpoint

    Cost £8000 + £86.13 in charges

    £8086.13

    - £7100 Tesco Vouchers
    - £500 PX for my old banger that was going to be scrapped

    = £486.13 (Paid that on Credit Card a deposit)

    So although it cost me £486.13 I made that back with some well placed Double the Difference Deals, so worked out in the end at a ZERO Cost

    :T that is just outstanding. I'm a bit of a car nut spending time of car enthusiast forums learning all kinds of ways of getting good cars cheap, but a free car for buying garlic tablet's win's the Oscar. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.