We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diesel cars - Bl**** H*** !

245

Comments

  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    I had a brand new Skoda superb 2.0TDI with the Volkwagen engine. I got between 30-40mpg out of of it, which I found disappointing considering how good diesels are supposed to be. I'd buy another diesel as it was very smooth, but unless you drive like a monk, I found very little difference between the petrol and diesel.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    ^^^ Should advise my parents to buy one then.

    I gave my mum a lift today, she set off expecting the journey to take 20mins, it took me just over 6mins. :rolleyes2
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    kiddy_guy wrote: »
    I had a brand new Skoda superb 2.0TDI with the Volkwagen engine. I got between 30-40mpg out of of it, which I found disappointing considering how good diesels are supposed to be. I'd buy another diesel as it was very smooth, but unless you drive like a monk, I found very little difference between the petrol and diesel.

    I drive my 2L Mondeo TDCI like a loon and get 55-60MPG out of it. Once drove a late 90's VW Golf TDIABCDEFXYZ thing and that went like stink and returned over 50MPG.
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Does sort of beg the question how I could only get 40mpg tops doing motorway mileage...
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Agree about the golfs i had a mark 3 tdi which was great on diesel i then had a demo in a gt -tdi if was great and the salesman said push the trip computor to see what it was averageing and it was nearly 50mpg bearing in mind it was a demo so it was thrashed everywhere .
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Kiddy guy, how long did you have the Superb?

    I have an Audi A3 with the 2.0TDi 170PS with a DSG gearbox. It's not as good on fuel as the 1.9 unit, I get 35-40 round town, but on a run it will do over 50.

    Petrol equivalent is the 2.0T and I'd get mid 20s round town and mid thirties on a run.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Conor wrote: »
    I drive my 2L Mondeo TDCI like a loon and get 55-60MPG out of it. Once drove a late 90's VW Golf TDIABCDEFXYZ thing and that went like stink and returned over 50MPG.

    Although always safely, within the speed limit and with consideration for other drivers.;)

    I had a couple of Mk4 Golf diesels, a 90bhp TDi and a 150bhp GTi, they did 60 mpg and 57 mpg respectively.
  • Gavioli_UK
    Gavioli_UK Posts: 183 Forumite
    3 months ago I bought a 2L Focus TDCi and it amases me.

    I have averaged 50mpg over 3000 miles of mixed driving, in fact only 300 miles motorway.

    On the motorway at 60 / 70 mph it achieves 61mpg in 6th gear.

    The surprising thing was its acceleration from 30mph upwards in 4th gear,and 50mph upwards in 5th. It has brought the enjoyment back to driving for me.

    My daughter has a 2l petrol Focus, and there is no doubt the diesel out performs it. Needles to say she now wants a diesel.
  • Argyll_2
    Argyll_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    I had a test drive of a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI last week and I was impressed. It gave and average of about 60mpg. Apparently I've been told it's virtually the same car as a volkswagon Golf/Bora.
    My friend has bought a diesel, and she let me drive it, wow!! im converted, she has a santa fe 2 ltr and i cant believe its so economical, the needle hasnt moved and we did miles, i shall swap my fabia maybee... lol so this fuel price isnt really a problem, she tops up with veg oil, although she's only allowed to put in a litre a week. cheap as chips

    I can't really see the point of this as topping up with just one litre of veg oil will only save about 30p i.e litre diesel is £1.15 and veg oil £0.85p.

    Is she aware that the general rule is that a car running on veg oil should be generally older than a 2002, should have a bosch fuel pump and can't be a turbo? I'm no expert but I think the Santa Fe is younger than 2002. I just wouldn't like to see her doing damage to her car.

    I run my ford courier van on veg oil and run it at a 100% between now and September. I generally save about a tenner every tank. I've been doing this for about a year now with no ill effects to the van.

    It's strange though how the price of veg oil has risen from £10.50 to £16.00 in a year!
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    We have a 2.2 CRD PT Cruiser and for mileage and performance it far outshines its petrol equivalent.

    Took OH some persuading to test drive a diesel, but I doubt he would go back to petrol now.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.