We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diesel cars - Bl**** H*** !

124

Comments

  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,461 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Am now sadly considering a diesel, (cant believe I have just written that) I have tried quite a few, with getting hire cars through work, most of them, Fords/Vauxhalls/Citroens/Renault etc have been dog rough.
    I have only enjoyed driving one of them unfortunately its a 535D.
  • loofer
    loofer Posts: 566 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    DKLS wrote: »
    Am now sadly considering a diesel, (cant believe I have just written that) I have tried quite a few, with getting hire cars through work, most of them, Fords/Vauxhalls/Citroens/Renault etc have been dog rough.
    I have only enjoyed driving one of them unfortunately its a 535D.

    Consider the the VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) range of diesel engines, very good and not quite the price of a 535D
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    After going to Wolverhampton in my brothers diesel today (from Plymouth) and getting all the way up and back without filling up, and still having 1/4 a tank left Im wondering why I didnt look at them earlier!!!

    And I only bought a new car a few months ago, damn!!!
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    VickyHurn wrote: »
    I purchased over a Thousand Packs of the 35p Garlic Tablets (Each gave £2 towards the car) and sold the Garlic off for what it cost me to a market trader
    Just think how much you spent in petrol traveling to all the different stores to buy all that.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    [saddo mode]I drove 10 miles today in the diesel and got 69.5mpg (on the trip computer which probably exaggerates a bit). Best ever single trip, but I was driving like a complete monk. 30mph on cruise control on the 30mph sections and 40mph on the derestricted bits. Fortunately nobody driving behind me to get frustrated!

    When you drive like that you realise how much difference hills make. I was achieving over 70mpg until I had to go up a few (short, small) hills which knocked off 2mpg. You don't recoup coming downhill what you lose going up![/saddo mode]
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    My 2.2 Diesel Civic tells me I'm getting 41mpg for town driving. As soon as I do a longer journey it jumps to the mid 50's - sadly I generally stick around town and have to queue lots. However I'm still getting a good 400 miles to a 50l tank, whereas my older 1.6 Petrol Focus achieved around 300 miles to a 50l tank. I'm not saving a great deal, but hell the drives more fun! :D
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    You don't recoup coming downhill what you lose going up!
    Even in high gear foot off gas pedal?
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yes, even downhill with cruise control using no fuel at all. Obviously the mpg goes up a bit, but not to where it was before you climbed the hill.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,461 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    loofer wrote: »
    Consider the the VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) range of diesel engines, very good and not quite the price of a 535D

    I have considered the VAG group of motors, but currently don't like the styling of most of them, and as far as I am aware Audi dont do a oil burning version of the RS4.
  • chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Wow free cars from Tesco . . . Did you have to buy that number plate though?

    I have a diesel, when I first got it I was not a happy bunny but as my inner speedqueen has now mellowed with age (and I checked how much money I spent on petrol) I am loving the cheapness. I have a diself Golf - fast enough and even the man int the Shell garage down the road commented that he never sees me anymore. It doesn't look too bad and although it occasionally decides to kick out a puff of black smoke I have now learned to get it to perform on demand (when there is someone in a bmw etc driving up my A***) Result!
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.