We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diesel cars - Bl**** H*** !

135

Comments

  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,547 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think all you diesel enthusiasts are fooling yourselves regarding how noisy diesel engines are. I regularly drive a variety of diesel cars through work and I always notice the racket that happens when you start the engine. Also I usually find you get vibration through the steering wheel and pedals on a lot of cars. Then there's all the smoke that comes out of the back when you floor it.

    I'm always glad to get back in my car to experience the smooth and free revving straight 6 petrol engine. Its not as economical but there is no comparison in terms of refinement.
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've recently moved from a petrol to a diesel car and although I do like it, I can't say I've found it to be cheaper than a petrol car to run. It's a 2.0 litre HDI with automatic gearbox and averages about 38mpg which isn't great especially since diesel's now more expensive than unleaded petrol.

    I'd be interested to know whether those of you who are reporting them as being more economical have manual gearboxes and/or tend to drive long distances. I agree it's economical then, but then so was my petrol engine.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Argyll wrote: »
    It's strange though how the price of veg oil has risen from £10.50 to £16.00 in a year!

    Have you been buying extra virgin olive oil by mistake?:D
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I think there's some unfair comparisons going on here.

    We have a petrol car which is not very fast and does 34 mpg, and a diesel car which is far faster and does c.50 mpg.

    38mpg isn't particularly bad for an automatic although my colleague with an automatic diesel Seat claims to get low-40s.

    Diesels are actually way more economical on stop-start, urban driving and less economical (relative to petrol) on long distances when some petrol cars do pretty well. I can get in my diesel car and drive 4 miles from cold on slow 30mph limit roads and be showing 60mpg cumulative without any trouble. The petrol car wouldn't have reached 30mpg by the same point.

    BTW 30-40mpg also isn't bad for the Superb given that it's an enormous car. It's way better than you'd get out of a petrol equivalent sized car. If you drive any car with a heavy right foot, economy is going to suffer - particularly a relatively fast modern diesel.
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Converted to Diesel after years of petrol motoring

    Bought a New Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI

    Cheapest Motoring I have ever done

    1 Years Road Tax £35.00 :T

    1 Years Insurance £17.00 :T (£117 - £100 Quidco)

    Fuel Economy 55-60 around Town

    Claimed to be 74mpg on a run, so on last trip from Nottingham to London drove at a steay 65mph there and back and achevied an average of 76.4 mpg for the journey

    NO Way am I going back to Petrol

    Oh and Add to that the £12000 Fiesta was FREE with Tesco Points (But that's another story). So I am a Diesel Convert

    np3.jpg

    np1.jpg
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    i have a astra diesel it's noisy at start like most diesel and yes they all do it put we get used to them and do not hear it any more ,
    my do's about 38/41 mpg round town,it's the sports diesel engine one,not took it on a motorway yet for a long run so my motorway mpg is ??
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Is that number plate for real?! :D
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,773 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    VickyHurn wrote: »
    Oh and Add to that the £12000 Fiesta was FREE with Tesco Points (But that's another story).

    Wow, you can't not tell us now :grin:

    From R&R or Clubcard deals? :beer:
    .
  • Stageshoot
    Stageshoot Posts: 592 Forumite
    Dan29 wrote: »
    Wow, you can't not tell us now :grin:

    From R&R or Clubcard deals? :beer:

    CLubcard Deals it took me 1 Quarter to amass £7100 in Tesco Vouchers £1775 Cash Value or £7100 in Clubcard Deals

    I purchased over a Thousand Packs of the 35p Garlic Tablets (Each gave £2 towards the car) and sold the Garlic off for what it cost me to a market trader


    Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 5 Door (Diesel with Air Con) (+ Visibility Pack)

    07 Reg with just 700 miles (UK Car with full 3 year warranty and RAC cover)


    "Paperwork shows it has been sitting in Gurnsey from a few weeks after registration off the road (some sort fo VAT scam I am told) "

    Tesco Deals Partner - Motorpoint

    Cost £8000 + £86.13 in charges

    £8086.13

    - £7100 Tesco Vouchers
    - £500 PX for my old banger that was going to be scrapped

    = £486.13 (Paid that on Credit Card a deposit)

    So although it cost me £486.13 I made that back with some well placed Double the Difference Deals, so worked out in the end at a ZERO Cost
    Over 100k miles of Electric Motoring and rising,
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Andy_Hamilton Posts: 660 Forumite
    I think all you diesel enthusiasts are fooling yourselves regarding how noisy diesel engines are. I regularly drive a variety of diesel cars through work and I always notice the racket that happens when you start the engine. Also I usually find you get vibration through the steering wheel and pedals on a lot of cars. Then there's all the smoke that comes out of the back when you floor it.

    I'm always glad to get back in my car to experience the smooth and free revving straight 6 petrol engine. Its not as economical but there is no comparison in terms of refinement.

    I have a VW Bora TDI 6 speed. When started it can silence a taxi rank. When I push it there is black smoke which covers the cars behind me and there is some slight vibration through the clutch peddle but who cares.:rolleyes:

    My car is just clicking over 212K miles in 8 years and it starts on the key every single time. When I push it hard I get 50mpg, when I drive it sensibly I get 55mpg and when I'm a sicko I can get 73.5mpg (over 700miles per tank). I dirve a passat with the same engine anc can't coax it above 45mpg.

    Diesels with a bit of poke in them are just easier to drive, not needing to drop a cog as you drive with torque, something most petrol cars fail to have.

    I simply can't afford to run my petrol car all the time as it only gets between 8-12mpg:eek:
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.