We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Diesel cars - Bl**** H*** !

SickStu
SickStu Posts: 87 Forumite
My old car (2.5 V6 petrol) was written off recently. It used to do 20mpg or 25 on a motorway trip. I've replaced it with a 2.0 tdi Diesel. It was telling me today via it's dashboard display that it was doing 60.2 mpg and I would need to fill it up again in 614 miles :beer: - and it's no slouch either, pulls away nicely. If they could only get rid of that clatter clatter noise it makes when you start it up I'd be converted (totally).
«1345

Comments

  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Quite agree. Most of the people who knock diesels have never driven one.
  • autismmum
    autismmum Posts: 444 Forumite
    My friend has bought a diesel, and she let me drive it, wow!! im converted, she has a santa fe 2 ltr and i cant believe its so economical, the needle hasnt moved and we did miles, i shall swap my fabia maybee... lol so this fuel price isnt really a problem, she tops up with veg oil, although she's only allowed to put in a litre a week. cheap as chips
    totally debt free:j and mortgage free too 2010
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Quite agree. Most of the people who knock diesels have never driven one.

    They have -just not one of the new generation which are a marked improvement.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    My last two cars have been diesels, I have never noticed them making a clattering noise on start up, in fact sometimes I can't tell it's running at all.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I recently jumped into a friend of mines new BMW 330d. Its debadged so I didnt know what it was.

    Anyway it shifts and I thought it was a petrol from sitting in side untill he told me its a diesel. I was amazed how smooth and quite it was.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    i have a diesel car its brand new theres no clatter noise i have a 53 plate fiat doblo van thats a diesel that doesnt really make a clattering noise :)

    I did have a petrol car until last month and that was just rubbish!

    Steph xx
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Golf TDi GT for next :cool:
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am a diesel convert, for £50 worth of fuel we now get 700 miles out of the diesel, when we were lucky to get 400 out of the petrol!!!

    ours is a bit noisy, but not much difference to petrol.
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Riq wrote: »
    Golf TDi GT for next :cool:

    My brothers got that. Very good Mileage and its got the oomphh as well when required.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    My brothers got that. Very good Mileage and its got the oomphh as well when required.
    My dad got one from work and brought it home for a couple of days and it went like stink.

    I fell in love with that car that day! :D
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.