PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• clair2305
    clair2305 Posts: 189 Forumite
    ....on all the posts over the past fews days as I was out and about over the weekend.

Got £3 from Iceland for my pitiful excuse for a Ham and Pineapple pizza!!! :j

As the weather is warming up I think it's time to start my mushrooms and I;m going to buy another tomato plan (I didn't know they only last a season!!!???)

May investigate this BM, by hand, or ask friend to use her BM.

Gonna have to make those weetabix brownies.....DS is going through the biscuits at an alarming rate....as well as a one litre bottle of SPrice Lemon in 4 days - he's just being greedy :eek:
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    The iced finger recipe is bun dough

Made in bm on dough only

Ingredients are the same as DD&D's apple braid recipe here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=575356&page=3

Shape into fingers and top with glace icing (icing sugar and water) i sometimes put sultanas in the dough too

You can shape into balls and put in a deep cake tin to make a swiss crown topping the icing with cherries

Shaz
    Shaz
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    wornoutmumoftwo Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    I tried the iced fingers and was able to pour it out of the bread tin :confused:, not too sure where I went wrong, going to have another go at it though.:rotfl:
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • chicken_pie_2
    chicken_pie_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Hi everyone- I have been doing ok with my spends, just spent £4.94 in mr m today on fruit, yogurts and milk, so that brings total spend so far up to £92.57. Which leaves me £57.43 for the rest of the month (to 23rd May- we are away for a week then) I should be able to do it, I've got a mr t delivery due on wed evening, should be around £45, and the rest will cover fruit and milk. So here's hoping!! Thankyou to whoever it was that posted the recipe for the cheesy snacks- can't remember who it was- I made some for DS to snack on and they were lovely. Will definately be making them again. Hope May is going well for you all.
    Feb 2008 Grocery Challenge £160, Spent £163.48
    March 2008 Grocery Challenge £160 Spent £206.70
    April 2008 Grocery Challenge £180 Lost count:eek:
    May 2008 Grocery Challenge £150
    Spent : £148.72
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    SAVVYMUMMY_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    :hello: Good afternoon everyone,

Hope you`re all well after the bank hols. Spent most of the time either down the allotment, in the garden or chopping wood for the next winter.(very energetic).

Anyway, have sown some more toms and peppers in the greenhouse this morning, so hoping for a continuous supply, but need some more seeds. This will come off my garden budget until we start to eat our own produce. Then any money left at the end of my monthly grocery budget, half will go towards next years supply of seeds and the other half for christmas(if that makes sense)

Spent a grand total of £6.21 today:eek: , this was for milk, fruit and salad and have had to cancel milkman as he was getting too expensive.

For tonights menu we will be have a mince concoction for OH and me, with mash and veg. DS1 and DS2 will proberly be having sausage mash and beans.

Will have to make carrot and corriander soup later today, with some sad carrots and corriander. Ready for OH packed lunch tomorrow and also have some HM rolls proving at the moment.

Will read rest of posts and update siggy in a mo.

See u all later.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Hi all - not been on since Friday so trying to read through all the pages:-

debbym - hope your bruised hip is a lot better after your fall

fizzel81 - welcome to the GC - your not too far from me, I'm in Welling. As for Aldi's, I usually only buy fruit & veg in there but I think they are very similar to Lidl.

victory - well done with the money from Sainsbury's, that's the least they could do after the ordeal they put you through.

Mrs. Irwin - hope you are doing ok trying to bring on the baby - my DD1 was late and what did it for me was when the Hospital told me what they were going to do to induce me, the thought of it brought my Labour on that night!!

savingfortravel - thanks for the Glamorgan Sausages recipe, have them sitting on a tray at the moment ready for this evening and they look yummy

Sharon-1970 - thanks for posting the link to the Choc Yoghurt Cake, made that this morning and it looks great, can't vouch for the taste as resisted so far but it smells gorgeous

Hope that is everyone thanked:T :T Didn't want to leave anyone out as everyone is so kind and helpful on here and full of great ideas so thanks again.

Don't know if anyone saw "The One Show" last night, but they were talking about Lidl, Aldi's and Netto and they had a guy on there from "Which" magazine and he basically said that the quality of the goods they sell is on a par with Sainsburys and that the reason they are cheaper is because they can buy in bulk as they sell across Europe and they keep staffing numbers down to a minimum. Must admit I've never had any probs with anything I've bought from them.

Looking forward to Martin's programme on 5 tomorrow night as he is going to be talking about OS food/cooking.

Been out in the garden today and lettuces are looking good, tomatoes are getting there and cucumbers have been put into bigger pots. Potatoes have been earthed up a bit more and I've finally got around to putting some Hanging baskets up as been too wet and wild before now for them so feels really summery out there now - good luck everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Following from last month's major overspend, I have managed to spend very little for the last 2 weeks. Total of £35.57 so far. :j

It seems as though I will hopefully even out the spending over the two months. Saw BIL at weekend who gave us a big bag of fruit, cheese and 24 eggs he got from work and couldn't use, which was a help. Have made omelettes and quiche over the bank hols but sick of eggs for dinner now! So will be making some cakes tomorrow for the freezer:D

Will be able to make do for the rest of the week I think, but may stock up on some meat next week. Lidl are doing their 40% off deal starting next Monday around here (Essex) and although I don't need anything for at least a couple of weeks I will take advantage of the offer. Have also bought some herbs from Morrisons this week (on offer £1 for 2) to plant out - about twice the size of the ones I nearly bought in the garden centre and LOADS cheaper... only hope they grow OK!
  • Angelraesunshine
    Angelraesunshine Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Went back to aldi this morning got my refund and spent £13.36 on all the fresh veg, fruit and a few other things i needed T.rolls, soft cheese and ok one impulse buy of mint humbugs that cost me 45p for a big bag.
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    ifonlyitwaseasier Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cheers shaz,

well went and bought, pot's, carrots, tom's, radishes, celery, lettuce, some snack seeds, and tissues (darn hayfever)

so £8.49 to add on, but as we had no fresh stuff in at least this'll last the week out (i hope)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• clair2305
    clair2305 Posts: 189 Forumite
    just spent my £3 Iceland vouchers....should I add them to my Grocery spend, just asking cos technically I haven't spent anything and I wouldn't have gone in there if I didn't have the vouchers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure