New Post Advanced Search

how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• angchrisangchris Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    hiya :D i have just been given 1 large carrier bag of pears and 1 of cooking apples,and i have never made a pie or a crumble before :o the pears need using very soon before they go over ripe and get wasted, was thinking of going and buying a load of foil pie dishes and making up a load of pies/crumbles to stick in the freezer has anybody got any foolproof step by step recipes or hints for a complete novice?? i`d hate to end up throwing them away and thats what will happen if i dont cook them this weekend as i wont have time in the week, thanks in advance :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Alternatively you could stew the fruit with a bit of sugar, freeze in 'crumble' sized portions and use when you need
  • Crumble is really easy
    flour sugar and butter
    I don't bother weighing it when I do it.
    I will use about 2 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar and enough butter(add a little at a time) just to make the mixture crumble. then just put on top of stewed fruit and bake until a light brown colour.
    Someone will probably give you exact measurement, but I have never found I needed too.
    Good luck
    Frey
    Saving for the future of the earth
  • Its half fat and half sugar to plain flour,just made rhubarb & blackberry today, sprinkled some cinnamon on top too-smells divine. Alternatively you could do a kind of eve's pudding, you could put any fruit in dish, same as with crumble but instead of crumble topping, top with sponge cake mixture, nice for a change.
    Basic Sponge;
    4oz sr flour
    4oz soft marg
    4oz castor sugar
    2 eggs

whack it all in bowl and mix thouroughly,cook on 180 for 60-75mins-or until you put a skewer through topping and it comes out clean, when the cakes brown really.
    Happy cooking.
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • aimeelisteraimeelister Forumite
    600 posts
    ✭✭
    My crumble receipe from my nan is 5oz oats, 4 oz marg, 3 oz sugar, heat the sugar and marg until melted and then add the oats, then put on top of some apple bits mixed with a bit of sugar and a shake of cinnamon and nutmeg , bake until bubbling!

An alternative for the pears is poached pears. Peel them and quater them removing the inside. Put in a saucpan with a bottle of red wine and a splash of water and a shake of sugar and then add spiced for mulled wine eg cinnamon nutmeg and or mixed spice. Heat slowly until the pears are hot and gone red but not mushy and falling to pieces and then serve. You can then use the leftover wine as mulled wine. mmmmmmmmmm.
  • jobbingmusicianjobbingmusician Forumite, Board Guide
    20.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proportions above are perfect - equal amounts of sugar and fat, and twice as much flour - 60g, 60g and 120g are what I usually use. But the posters above have not mentioned the most important thing for a delicious crumble - USE BUTTER! :D Tastes much better than marg. Get the cheapest stuff - 53p for 250g in Tesco/Sainsburys/Lidl.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
  • angchrisangchris Forumite
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for your help! i made a huge crumble earlier because i knew i had a housefull tonight to watch the boxing:rolleyes: theres just a big dirty dish left now :D they have all scranned my homemade apple crumble n custard and everyone of them cleaned their bowls. looked funny to see a room full of grown men shouting at the telly all sat with their bowls instead of their cans of beer! was a bit like feeding a dozen naughty school kids :confused: now i kinda know what im doing will make some for the freezer tomorrow:j would normally have ordered pizzas or similar but with chrimbo around the corner we cant really afford pizza so they got my homemade offerings instead;) much cheaper as it was virtually free food and they loved it :j
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • jobbingmusicianjobbingmusician Forumite, Board Guide
    20.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pizza made in the breadmaker is the best ever.......:D
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]eysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
  • angchris wrote:
    thanks for your help! i made a huge crumble earlier because i knew i had a housefull tonight to watch the boxing:rolleyes: theres just a big dirty dish left now :D they have all scranned my homemade apple crumble n custard and everyone of them cleaned their bowls. looked funny to see a room full of grown men shouting at the telly all sat with their bowls instead of their cans of beer! was a bit like feeding a dozen naughty school kids :confused: now i kinda know what im doing will make some for the freezer tomorrow:j would normally have ordered pizzas or similar but with chrimbo around the corner we cant really afford pizza so they got my homemade offerings instead;) much cheaper as it was virtually free food and they loved it :j

Yay boxing night with a crumble buffet, I like your style- well done on the baking, sounds like it went down a storm!:T
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • SammzSammz Forumite
    3.4K posts
    I've bought a bag of frozen summer berries and want to make a crumble. I assume I've got to defrost the berries but do I add water or sugar or anything before adding the crumble and baking?
    OD Girls On Tour
    Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009