Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

how to make crumble - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 posts
    ✭✭✭
    lisa76 wrote:
    i add porridge oats to my crumble topping - yummmmmmmmm
    me too, everyone loves it, I've got some blackberries and raspberries in the freezer, think we might have crumble after tea tonight.
    Sue
  • bulchybulchy Forumite
    955 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Researcher - again, is a little different from the proportions I use but will try this.

I also like quite crunchy toppings too so I like to add flaked almonds to the topping. Depending on the fruit being used I might add some cinammon to the topping too.

I make double quantities and store the extra in the freezer.

Sparkly

Do you cook the crumble first before you freeze it Sparkly?
    Sue
  • MimiFMimiF Forumite
    282 posts
    ✭✭
    Stewed some apples last night so will do a crumble tonight, was thinking crushed amaretti biscuits might be good added to the mix above although was worried they might burn as the sugar content would be higher.

MimiF
    :beer:
  • Sounds nice, might have a crack at this tonight. Never made one before though, so how many apples do you need? I've got 2 or 3 bramleys in the fruit basket, is that enough? And do I need to mix some sugar in with them? If so, again how much?

Thanks.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • researcherresearcher Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I'd slice the apples, sprinkle with sugar and then put the topping on - no need to cook the bramleys in advance - as they 'fall' nicely. They will need extra sugar though. You could always add a handful of dried fruit to the apples too - thats nice. I like to add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to the mixture - Oh I can feel another crumble coming on!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thankyou so much. DD been asking me for apple crumble this week. I'm visiting a friend tomorrow who has an apple tree in her garden and can't keep up with them at the moment, so looks like we will be having apple crumble tomorrow night.
  • BambamBambam Forumite
    359 posts
    We all love crumble too! For a really, really quick, last minute crumble, heat up a tin of pie filling or use any stewed fruit you may have in the freezer, then (here's the quick bit) take several trifle sponges and rub between the hands until they resemble bread crumbs, you can add ground almonds, cinnamon etc., sprinkle over the fruit, put in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the top has gone crispy and heated through thoroughly. Tip: don't put the topping on the fruit until ready to go in oven as the sponge absorbs the juices and makes it soggy.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    :kisses3:
  • This sounds nice,crumbles are one of the easiest puddings to make and one of my favourites.

I find it useful to make a large quantity of mix at a time and then I put the extra in a plastic bag in the freezer.It doesn't freeze solid and you can just take the bag out and sprinkle it straight on to the fruit and then cook.
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bambam wrote:
    We all love crumble too! For a really, really quick, last minute crumble, heat up a tin of pie filling or use any stewed fruit you may have in the freezer, then (here's the quick bit) take several trifle sponges and rub between the hands until they resemble bread crumbs, you can add ground almonds, cinnamon etc., sprinkle over the fruit, put in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the top has gone crispy and heated through thoroughly. Tip: don't put the topping on the fruit until ready to go in oven as the sponge absorbs the juices and makes it soggy.

i aways keep a tin of morrisons sliced apples in my cupboard in case of a crumble emergency.I can also just make one portion in a hurry if i need to
  • I'm off out in a minute, can someone tell me if my two bramleys are enough as I might need to get some more. Theres only going to be me, wife and 2yr DD eating it. Also, how much sugar is required (roughly) for this amount of apples?

TIA
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"