how to make crumble - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• Swan_2Swan_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    it'll be fine just covered in a cool place if you're going to eat it tomorrow (today now) but for longer storage, best in the fridge :)
  • kiwichickkiwichick Forumite
    1.9K posts
    And if you do it in advance another time they are perfectly fine in the freezer.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • researcherresearcher Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    For years my crumbles have been good, but not outstanding, until I followed a Delia Smith recipe - and this is so excellent I thought I'd share it:

8oz plain flour
    3 oz butter (I use flora)
    5 oz granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder.

Mix flour, baking powder and butter to breadcrumb stage, then add the sugar, mix and place on top of your (cold) fruit - don't press down too much.
    Cook in an oven 180c (170c for fan), try after 30 mins, but depending on the fruit might take up to 45 mins.

This makes a lovely crunchy topping. I made a blackberry and apple crumble which was the best I've made in my life, so I've had to repeat it a couple of times just to make sure :rotfl: (Plum and then a spiced apple). Thing is - I don't even like crumble much, but everyone else raves about them!

Oh, and if the dried mixture is a little much for your dish - put the extra in the fridge, and you've a ready made topping for individual dishes.
  • tapladytaplady Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! thanks for this I'll give it a try, I just love crumbles! different recipe from what I usually use but it sounds good!:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Thanks Researcher - again, is a little different from the proportions I use but will try this.

I also like quite crunchy toppings too so I like to add flaked almonds to the topping. Depending on the fruit being used I might add some cinammon to the topping too.

I make double quantities and store the extra in the freezer.

Sparkly
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have a load of blackberries picked yesterday that I need to do something with.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Oh yeah if you are doing apple crumble add justa little bit of cinnamon both to the apples and the crumble mix, I sometimes add crushed nuts as well.
    Proud to be me, proud to be who I am!!
  • lisa76lisa76 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i add porridge oats to my crumble topping - yummmmmmmmm
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i add some porridge oats and cinnamon,and an extra sprinkling of brown sugar to caramelise the top.
  • Bargain_RzlBargain_Rzl Forumite
    6.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask if anybody has a foolproof recipe for a SAVOURY crumble topping - i.e. one you could add appropriate herbs to and use on top of a chicken or fish "bake"?
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124