New Post Advanced Search

how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine's about the same as Rikki's except I use ordinary sugar not the fine stuff and I sprinkle a little muscovado sugar over the top to make it dark and chewy.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • You can add oats or muesli to the crumble mixture too.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • moo842moo842 Forumite
    446 posts
    ✭✭
    wow i knew you guys would help...now have a lovely cruble for after our stew!! kept the kids happy for five minutes whislt they helped make it!!
  • RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo842 wrote:
    wow i knew you guys would help...now have a lovely cruble for after our stew!! kept the kids happy for five minutes whislt they helped make it!!

How long did it take you to clean up the mess and the children?

They will enjoy the crumble even more knowing they've made it.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • I make my crumble with oats, sugar and butter/marg a bit like a flapjack it is lush!

• St Delia says to replace about half the flour with ground almonds. A bit expensive/extravagant but totally gorgeous!

• moo842moo842 Forumite
    446 posts
    ✭✭
    Rikki wrote:
    How long did it take you to clean up the mess and the children?

They will enjoy the crumble even more knowing they've made it.

:D thy ate so much of it it didn't take anylong to clean up than hubby cooking it!!

as for the eating it, once it's cooked they won't touch it as it's 'mixed' eldest has a form of autism so mixed food is a no no in his eyes and youngest follows his lead :rolleyes:

but me and hubby will enjoy it!!
  • savingpenniessavingpennies Forumite
    688 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Nice made with wholemeal flour as well. Don't restrict crumbles to puddings. An oaty crumble is tasty on top of fish in a sauce (white or parsley) as an alternative to mash potato. I make a fish pie with the oaty crumble and add some curry powder to the white sauce and fish. Especially good with fish such as coley which doesn't have quite the same flavour as cod/haddock. Great with broccoli.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2020 in 2020: £21
    2020 £2 savers:
    £8
  • Please help. I have cooked an apple crumble tonight for our pudding tommorrow. But how do I store it? It's in a caserol dish at the mo on the count with a tea towel over it. Is it a good idea to leave it out over night how it is at the moment. Or should it go in the fridge?

Thank you for helping.

MonkeyGirl

• Karma67Karma67 Forumite
    541 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Depends on how cold your kitchen gets over night...i'd put clingfilm over it....and pop in fridge :D

HTH