how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• Natty68Natty68 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm all these different versions of crumble mix, guess who's having crumble for supper..lol. I have a tin of apple and blackberry fruit in the cupboard and I think I will make my own topping instead of opening the packet that I have in supply.. DH will be in heaven..crumble with ice cream, mmmmmmmmmmmm

:(Struggling financially :(

:) Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17 :)
  • This might sound like a stupid question, but can you cook it in a metal flan pan? Or does it need to be a ceramic dish?

I dont come from a great cookery background so I've not got much intuition on these things.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • susanksusank Forumite
    804 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Near us there is a shortbread factory which sells shortbread crumbs in a large bag - I can freeze and have instant crumble - it is very yummy
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    susank wrote:
    Near us there is a shortbread factory which sells shortbread crumbs in a large bag - I can freeze and have instant crumble - it is very yummy
    is that deans shortbread, they still sell the crumbs do they?
  • Natty68Natty68 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy, I suppose there is no harm in cooking a crumble in a metal flan tin, as long as the base isnt removable. Otherwise the fruit will leak out the base..

:(Struggling financially :(

:) Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17 :)
  • Natty68 wrote:
    Happy, I suppose there is no harm in cooking a crumble in a metal flan tin, as long as the base isnt removable. Otherwise the fruit will leak out the base..

Hummm I think it does have a removeable base, I'll have to invest in a proper ceramic dish. I did have a Le Cruset dish but it cracked in the oven the second time I used it. I was not impressed as I'd binned the recipe, complete waste of money!!! :mad:

Next time I see one of those old school canteen sandy coloured dishes, I'll buy one!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • For a really tasty crumble topping I use wholemeal flour, coconut, brown sugar and rolled oats ( as well as butter of course). Its also good with a pinch or two of cinnamon or ginger. mmmmm delicious over plums.
    You - only you- will have stars that can laugh :rotfl:

:starmod: Debt-free:starmod:

£2 Coin Savers' Club - Christmas due on 25/12/06! £[STRIKE]142.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]16/07/06 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£150.00 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]21/07/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£158 2/08/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£166 28/8/06[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]3/10/06 £198 [/STRIKE]25/10/06 £214 :xmassmile
    DFW Nerd 137:j
    Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This might sound like a stupid question, but can you cook it in a metal flan pan? Or does it need to be a ceramic dish?

I dont come from a great cookery background so I've not got much intuition on these things.

I would always use a ceramic dish, dont know why lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • researcherresearcher Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I use pyrex, ceramic and enamel - depends on how much fruit I've got. I think the enamel is probably the best, as raw fruit cooks quicker than in the others. I think I found it in a charity shop for 20p!
  • I tried 1/3 flour and 2/3 porridge oats/wheatbran mix from Tesco (a new product I think...it's about 80p), plus dark sugar for a change to my usual rhubarb crumble topping and it was absolutely delicious!

:D