Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expensive Perfumes

edited 12 September 2013 at 10:55PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
1.1K replies 735.4K views

Replies

• lynseydeelynseydee Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I wear an Avon perfume and the smell lasts all day on me.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • pattycakepattycake Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The oils from Perfume Parlour smell just like the real thing. Because they are concentrated they last very well on the skin.

I placed an order with them yesterday and have had an email today saying they have been dispatched. I have always been very pleased with my purchases from them.
  • veronaronaveronarona Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I've just ordered a key-ring rollon for me and my stepmum, Chanel Allure, which I've never sniffed but SM says she likes it.

My favourite ever perfume was/is Chanel No22, which is like gold-dust but probably more expensive. I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the Perfume Parlour in the US, where No22 is still sold - although I'm told that the version available today is inferior to the one I used in the 60s. I had the perfume and the EdT. Nothing comes close :cry: ... for me.

I bought a YSL Paris smell-alike oil from eBay years ago, it was great when I mixed it with un-smelly body lotion.

veronarona
    542 Posts
    ✭✭
    I ordered from Perfume Parlour a couple of days ago - unfortunately they had a problem with the item, the container had tarnished, so they emailed me suggesting an alternative (they'd tried to phone me but as usual my mobile was languishing somewhere out of ear-shot, running down its battery).

As this is quite an old thread and hasn't been updated since September, I thought I'd give it a bump for fellow moneysavers who can't/won't afford their favourite scents, and I'll let you know what I think of the Chanel Allure I've ordered - although I've never smelt it before, I'm looking for a substitute for the real Chanel No22, I'd happily die and go to heaven if I could get that in the perfume or EdP.

veronarona
  • pattycakepattycake Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I placed an order with Perfume Parlour on Sunday and received my oils yesterday. Cracking service. I have re-ordered some of my favourites and am trying a couple of others. They are Euphoria and Be Delicious. I am not familiar with the originals, admittedly in this case. I am wearing the Be Delicious now. It is very nice and fresh smelling.

I also ordered some oils for my daughter and a friend who have commented on how good I smell! I spilled the beans and let them in on the act. I am sure they will be pleased.

Good luck veronarona on your quest for Chanel 22. I wonder if it is worth emailing Perfume Parlour and asking them if they would make some for you? Just a thought.
    542 Posts
    ✭✭
    pattycake wrote: »
    Good luck veronarona on your quest for Chanel 22. I wonder if it is worth emailing Perfume Parlour and asking them if they would make some for you? Just a thought.
    I did "speak" to Amir about it, he can't find it :( but will let me know if he comes across it.

veronarona
  • missm29missm29 Forumite
    340 Posts
    The avon reps get a magazine which sometimes mentions their new perfumes being similar to the big names. The avon play for her they say is similar to clinique happy. I've heard too that m&S and next copy the popular perfumes. I bought a gift set for myself from next with their mini perfumes and they are very nice, i was surprised as i've always worn expensive perfumes. Might have to try m&S issy M copy.
    542 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've received my Allure from Perfume Parlour. Lovely idea, little pot of EdT with an atomiser to dispense it into. But I thoroughly dislike the perfume - whether it's this Allure or Allure per se that I hate, I do not know. The initial hit has the same effect as the genuine Allure Sensuelle had on me.

veronarona :confused:
  • pcg2001pcg2001 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi sausage cat,

a while ago I started a thread over at the Shop but Don't drop Forum about this issue:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=599666

Here is what i found out:
    pcg2001 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just read a thread that Peanuts started about Marks and Spencer fragrances and designer brands.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=598042

and decided to start one generic about high street stores own brands (M&S, Next, etc) and how they mimick designer perfumes.

Borrowing from the above thread to start this one (hope that is all right), here are some correspondances:

M&S Isis is close to Issey Miyake (thanks WelshLamb): purse spray 25 ml is £5 and now on 342.
    M&S Perfection is close to Coco Chanel (thanks Peanuts): purse spray 25 ml is £5 and now on 342.
    NEXT 'just pink' smells just like Ralph Laurens 'romance' (thanks jeni-b): 75ml bottle of Just Pink is £10

It would be great if any of you could share your tips, especially since there are several promotions in the runup to Xmas in these stores.

I promise to updated this post with any tips you give. Thanks.
  • Violetta_2Violetta_2 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought Stitch No5 from Poundland it's in a blue bottle also seen it in semichem and maybe savers, it smells like Angel. doesn't last all day though but at that price I don't mind.
    Booo!!!