Home Delivery Network

Options

Comments

• isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Max2009 - I can not see how the couriers could be delivering over a 100 parcels a day .... seems a lot from my experience .... especially if they need to handle returns?

Michjoe - normally things are misrouted because the address is not 100% clear, so when the label is printed by the client, the routing info the depot is not correct - or it is put into the wrong sack / container .... etc etc.

But when that happens, you should be able to view the tracking info & it will show where it has been.

Kavanne - I would not expect that high value goods would go via a home delivery network - just to expensive .... normally the client will specify they require a signature or not ... if no signature is required, then the courier will leave in a secure place - often this may be behind a bin (or even in the bin) & leave a card. If they can not find somewhere to leave it & there is no neighbour in, then they would leave a card & try again the next day. I don't think that any of the delivery companies that offer this kind of service when it is the addressie only signature - normally if they offer a siganture service, it can be a neighbour.

Remember that the couriers normally only get paid when the parcel has been delivered or you have been carded a number of times (normally 2 or 3 times), so it is of their interest to make sure the parcel gets delivered. The staff at the depot will certainately pick up on the fact if things don't get delivered or are stolen.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    Hi,

Max2009 - I can not see how the couriers could be delivering over a 100 parcels a day .... seems a lot from my experience .... especially if they need to handle returns?

Quite easily, our driver had 250 to deliver at xmas he couldnt get them all on the van ! So 100 a day seems very possible.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    100 parcels is easily possible
    hell i can get over 40 on a foot delivery
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    The average multi-drop driver nowaday does 80-100 a day.They have a lot of pressure put on them from above.That is why some drive around like maniacs,run around like madmen over gardens and hedges and leave parcels without getting them signed for.I know it is no excuse but that is what you are up against.
  • michjoe
    michjoe Posts: 227 Forumite
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    Hi,

Michjoe - normally things are misrouted because the address is not 100% clear, so when the label is printed by the client, the routing info the depot is not correct - or it is put into the wrong sack / container .... etc etc.

But when that happens, you should be able to view the tracking info & it will show where it has been.

Remember that the couriers normally only get paid when the parcel has been delivered or you have been carded a number of times (normally 2 or 3 times), so it is of their interest to make sure the parcel gets delivered. The staff at the depot will certainately pick up on the fact if things don't get delivered or are stolen.

I suppose you work for HDNL then???

I know from experience there has been no fault on the address.
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Michjoe

Misrouting will occur with any 3PL provider. Their delivery rate is 99.7%+. HDNL are as good as a carrier as you'll find, given the fact there are now very few out there which are not part of a wider network...

Geopost/DPD are one in the same...

DHL own T&B, and also a few others.

They all virtually use the same technology and similar platforms, as well as multi drop bomb sortation machines.

I do not work for them, but know the industry relatively well. I find less issues with HDNL than anyone else...
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

Michjoe - fraid not - don't work for them - just have worked for a number of the logistic companies (like DHL / TNT, etc) as a consultant ...

As to the misrouting - wasn't suggesting that your label was wrong .... just that is one of the reasons for misrouting - there are others - caused by the sender & the logistics firms ....

From my experience most logistics companies (like DHL) will bend over backwards in an attempt to deliver your parcel - sending items back to the supplier, is often not an option - anything sent back will result in claims from the sender ... can be expensive for the logistic firm.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • iloveme_2
    iloveme_2 Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    ive had no problems with them, if im not in they leave it in a suitable place or do come back the next day. They do tend to come the minute ive left to do the nursery run if I have ever missed it. The delivery guy even knows me now and is always friendly. perhaps its coz i live in worcester near the depot that its on time!
  • violetmva
    violetmva Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Had a few things ordered from additions direct and littlewoods last week and for two days in row they have failed to ring the bell or knock on the door. Call them today to complain after finding another card but i was told i missed the driver and it was my fault for that. What kind of company would accuse its clients for being awake since 6 O'clock to wait for delivery:confused: I have written to the both companies i made my orders with and told them i will not put anymore orders untill they sort their delivery services. For a discount of 5-10 pounds or a percentige of the price it isn't worth it.
  • 1ipstick
    1ipstick Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone had any luck getting any apology or answer or even compensation out of HDNL?

I'm moving abroad soon and letting out my flat. Ordered a few large things for the flat from John Lewis which were attempted to be delivered really quickly - about two days later. Obviously I was at work so re-scheduled for the next Saturday. Waited in all day - this was pretty much my last day without it being absolutely necessary to leave the house before I go (so much to do!) and needless to say they didn't turn up. When I rang the next Monday they said the address wasn't accessible - it was. They then automatically tried to deliver it on that Monday without even letting me know - I could have told them I wouldn't be in!

I asked for it to get delivered the day after and left with a neighbour - I left very specific instructions - when I tracked it that evening it hadn't even left the depot.

Anyone know if you can get compensation if you have to get a day off work to accept their delivery, if they repeatedly fail to deliver it on your specified days?

They are absolutely useless and I would have expected better from John Lewis (who are helpful but can't actually do very much).

At the least I would expect them to be able to do an evening delivery or something since they've cocked up twice now. Or, at least deliver it at a specified time.

How does something so simple become so complicated??!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure