Money Moral Dilemma: Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

Comments

• goosy
    goosy Posts: 1 Newbie
    It does not matter if the gift cost £1, £30 or even if it was a freebie.It is unused, it is the friend`s style so it should be the thought that counts.I get lots of bargains, some I keep the others are given as gifts, as long as it is appropriate to the person it`s fine in my book.
  • I gave my mum a bottle of opium which I got free with Boots points one year. She was pleased with it and ended up with a couple of cheap bits too. Everone suited, especially my purse!
    Striving down south to stay northern and tight! :rotfl:
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Money shouldn't be a measure of friendship, care and attention should.

^^^ Exactly this...
  • gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Id definately do it. Plus a small personal gift too.

If it something they would like, and you would normally get them it then theres no problem. :confused:

My family and friends know I rerely pay full price or try to get the best value for something. They also know, however, that i spend an awful lot of time and effort in getting them a present that I think is 'just right' for them. The fact that it was ona deal just makes it sweeting IMO. :D
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
  • Snapelover
    Snapelover Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd go for it and I wouldn't feel guilty. After all, the friend would be receiving something that you wanter to giver him/her anyway and it would be saving th buyer a lot of cash to go towards something more of a necessity such as a bill.

Anyway, how would the person know that the friend always spent exactly £30 on them?

It's the thought that counts anyway.
  • Oh, I think this moral money maze question is a no-brainer, for MSE-ers!

OF COURSE I would take advantage of an offer to buy gifts on offer, or free, or below retail. In fact, I invariably do!

I'm totally unimpressed by peer pressure to spend extravagant amounts on special occasions. You only have to look on e-Bay, to see what happens to the majority of presents, no matter how well-intentioned ....even when you think you have bought what they like, you never know for sure! (and besides, they might be so strapped for funds that cold cash wins every time!)

I love to give gifts, and I give many of them - but I won't let the impulse to be generous make me a spendthrift. It's the thought I want to be generous with, and I want others to know I think of, and appreciate them. All of that can be achieved, without tossing half your salary into the greedy mouths of the high street stores.
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I'd spend the £1 and give them £29 to do whatever they want with it. If they're my friend that is. They all know me well enough to know they'll get the best I can afford and am not too proud to give money if that's what they want.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Absolutely yes, you'd be foolish not to. A good friend would congratulate you on your common sense.
  • Richard019
    Richard019 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AlisonW wrote: »
    Just re read the dilemma. What magazine gives away really expensive perfume for a £1 subscription? : ) You'd probably miss the small print and end up signing up to one of these deals where you have to set up a direct debit which you need to cancel at the end of some trial period and if you are like me, forget about it and end up spending more than the perfume was worth in the first place. Doh!

When bought through a cashback website? Not in the same (potentially highly profitable for them) area I know but I've made an absolute killing by signing up to bookmakers through them this week.

There might be the odd magazine subscription deal that slips in. Even without those sites I'm around £35 and a magazine to my door once a month up from subscribing online. More importantly the freebies were genuine in that I was going to buy them at full price anyway, or at least as close to full price as I pay for anything.

As for the dilemma, if it's what I'd have bought them anyway then I'd do it and not top it up with another present. Assuming they'd have been happy with it on it's own if I'd paid full price then they can be happy with it when I've got it cheaply. If they're not then they're far too materialistic for my liking.
  • PrinceGaz
    PrinceGaz Posts: 139 Forumite
    That doesn't seem like a dilemma at all to me. You are giving them something they will really be pleased with which would otherwise have cost them £30 or so. The fact that it cost you a negligible amount because you knew of a way to get it very cheaply is irrelevant-- the value to the recipient is the same as it would be had you spent £30 on it. In fact the cash value may be less important than your buying them something they like.

If you are still left with a guilty conscience, tell them how much it really cost you and how you got it so cheap (so they know it isn't counterfeit), and offer to buy the cinema-tickets, or a few pints or whatever the next time you go out in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure