Money Moral Dilemma: Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

Comments

• muffin_man
    muffin_man Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All my friends know how obsessed I am with getting a bargain, and lets face it, which requires more effort?

Going to a shop at the last minute and slapping your money on the counter
    or,
    Finding the deal in the first place, making sure you apply early enough to get the gift in time (if a special occasion), messing about setting up the direct debit etc. and, as mentioned above, remembering to cancel it!

The extra thought and effort expended on them is worth far more than the monetary saving.

However, if I had already set aside the extra money, I'd probably treat us to a night out or somesuch and tell them why. That way, you're not just adding pressies to make up the monetary value - after all, did you become friends for the material benefits?
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    It's the thought that counts - the prezzie is not worth £1, it's worth £30. My friend would never ask how much I paid or how I got it.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Of course its ok no-one gets hurt and it saves money, no brainer
    Busy mum of 3, so if my posts don't make sense or ask a silly question be patient:rotfl:
  • lamp
    lamp Posts: 57 Forumite
    I get gifts people will love, not gifts according to the price tag. Sometimes it costs a bit more then i'd like to spend, sometimes you get the above scenario...

What moral dilemma? :)
  • Dorrie
    Dorrie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's the thought that counts, not the cost, so, yes I would just give the perfume. But - I don't give presents to friends anyway!! A couple of them get a birthday card, and they do the same with me.

Must be a bit tight in my family anyway, as we all only spend about £10 per niece or nephew! My children get more - they got around £60 for their birthdays this year (aged 14, 16 and 18).
  • Why not?

It's what it's worth to the recipient that counts, not what it costs you!
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

Why ever not, its worth £30.

When we were both working, before the children arrived and before the endowment went pear-shaped, we would have got the perfume for £1 and then topped it up with something else so that the recipient benefitted from the bargain.
    However, now (especially now I'm an MSEr) I'm afraid that they would just get the perfume. After all, the recipient doesn't know its only cost £1. That's £29 into the mortgage fund!

I don't spend £30 on pressies anyway, so, if it was my friend, I would be handing it over saying "you got lucky this year, I found a corking bargain....", so in my case it would only be £9 in the mortgage fund but every little helps.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    I'd get it, buy them something else, then when they opened the £1 pressie & thanked me for being so generous, tell them the truth & have a good laugh about it, that's what being friends is all about!!!
  • full-time-mum
    full-time-mum Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Dorrie wrote: »
    Must be a bit tight in my family anyway, as we all only spend about £10 per niece or nephew! My children get more - they got around £60 for their birthdays this year (aged 14, 16 and 18).

Well, if that's the case, I'm tighter - £10-£15 on nieces/nephews/siblings and £30ish on children unless there is something specific they want/need.

I always challange myself to spend as little as possible but with as big as possible value. £1 for £30 bottle would be a right RESULT!

Same with birthday parties - DDs (12 today) is costing me less than £3 per head - total £20 and I could have cut more corners if I was being a real cheapskate.
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • Yes do it. If the person is a true friend its the thought that counts on the present not the amount.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure