🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Fight back against over-priced cosmetics! Post your cheap but outstanding discoveries

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    Suki - do you not live in England?

Where do you live?

Im an Ex Londoner living in the wilds of N Ireland :D

Another reason I need to try other ranges, its a nightmare here for shopping :( Its great for independent stores but the beauty concessions are so small and are the same everywhere - Clinique, ester lauder, dior etc. For Benefit, Decleor, Elemis, Laura mercier etc its a trip into Belfast and even now some of those brands have only just made it here. And because theres no where else to buy - prices are high. And P&P to N.Ireland is a joke so internet shopping isnt always any cheaper (and its no fun is it)

So I shall be spending a day in Kingston in the beauty departments wishing I was rich :D

I dunno about the smell. To me its quite mild, certainly not as strong as lizs cleanse and polish. Its a mild cucumber/flowery smell. Its certainly not as highly perfumed as that review suggests. Ive smelled foundation thats stronger
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »

I'm an ex-Londoner living in Surrey (close to the Sussex & Kent borders though, not London side) & I have lived in the West of Ireland:D
  • beautyscientist
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    & I DON'T SEE HER VIEW POINT :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :D

I think shes short changing us & as a fan, i'm really annoyed, I expected better from them.

I never even thought it wouldn't be there until I saw the thread mentioning SPF's & though I would check.

Just adding an SPF is not a light matter and your product will not be the same if it has an SPF of 15. I would be pleased if I could get an SPF of 15 without adding at least 10% of a sunscreen agent to a formulation. This would definitely make the product oily.

I am a bit bemused by why Liz Earle products have such a high reputation, but I think they are right to keep the sunscreen products as a separate line.
    Student of the science of beauty
  • StompingOgre
    StompingOgre Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »

Another reason I need to try other ranges, its a nightmare here for shopping :( Its great for independent stores but the beauty concessions are so small and are the same everywhere - Clinique, ester lauder, dior etc. For Benefit, Decleor, Elemis, Laura mercier etc its a trip into Belfast and even now some of those brands have only just made it here. And because theres no where else to buy - prices are high. And P&P to N.Ireland is a joke so internet shopping isnt always any cheaper (and its no fun is it)

So I shall be spending a day in Kingston in the beauty departments wishing I was rich :D

I dunno about the smell. To me its quite mild, certainly not as strong as lizs cleanse and polish. Its a mild cucumber/flowery smell. Its certainly not as highly perfumed as that review suggests. Ive smelled foundation thats stronger

i have the same problem ! cant find most of the stuff in NI !! and I never really get the chance to go to belfast ! someone should improve the shopping in NI !!!
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re Avon I use the skin so soft dry oil as an insect repellant as I get bitten terribly - might be useful for those midges I hear you get in Scotland.

Also I really like their foot cream, it does have an effect on my very dry heels.

Changing the subject slightly I recently got the M&S poduct which is like Clarins beauty flash balm - very impressed with it apart from the pump packaging which I find quite a fiddle to use.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Butternut
    Butternut Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I've been following this thread and have now had chance to put a few more of the recommended products to the test.
    I can recommend the Siana Night Cream from Aldi, goes on nicely. The eye gel is good too. For the price, you really can't complain.
    I also can recommend the Lacura Body Lotion (about £1 for a huge 500ml bottle) and Lacura Handwash with Aloe Vera (55p for 3500 ml) both from Aldi.
    Barbara Daly foundation - really lovely coverage, not at all heavy.Mine was 99p off ebay.I'm probably going to get Elemental Beauty mineral foundation next though, as I've tried the samples and they are great (even better for me than Barbara Daly).
    I have bought some Pool shampoo from Lidl for OH to try, 79p. Hopefully he will be impressed and i'll get some for me - they do teh colour protect range, so thats ideal.
    i LOVE this thread so much.:T
    Win £2008 for 2008 member No 678 £62/2008 so far
  • Butternut
    Butternut Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to also mention M&S hand and body lotion in a 500ml dispenser - £1 from my local M&S Outlet shop. Perfect on my bedside table to rub on before bed! I got Aloe Vera one & a0 Cocoa Butter one. Great value!
    Win £2008 for 2008 member No 678 £62/2008 so far
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Butternut I agree - I love the 1 litre M&S shower gel for £1.00, which I use in the shower but also decant into the handwash pump bottle and as it's so rich I then also add a tiny amount of water, as let's face it we're not fishermen nor gardeners so our hands are not grimyneeding scrubbing to that level :p
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts