Memory foam mattresses

Options

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2009 at 7:15PM
    Options
    Sensemaya wrote: »
    http://www.bedlum-beds.co.uk/product/Calypso-Memory-Foam-and-Pocket-Sprung-Beds/

£375. How long does this last for? ( I like the Kaiser bedstead btw )

Thanks.

You should get between 50% and 100% more life just by the fact that you can turn it over.
  • saso2299
    Options
    Try the mattress from the RelaxWay !!

I have one 2 months at home and i love it!!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Got a cheap n' cheerful memory foam topper from the Littlewoods catalogue. It's about an inch and a half thick and cost about £100 (if that). Once I took the rubbish terry cover off - it was far too small for the topper, so it twisted and buckled all the time - it was perfect. I sleep with one leg up (because of the hip), mostly belly down/slightly sideways (allowing for breathing machine mask) on a funny shaped pillow from IKEA (cause of neck problems) and so I can stick my legs out the side when the inflammation gets me too hot. Yes, I would have been shot by now if I had been a horse.

Anyways, the pain I got in my hip which made it impossible to lay comfortably at all, disappeared within about a week. I go to sleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow (apparently almost seconds sometimes) and, whilst nowt is going to cure everything, I don't actually wake up in the morning feeling like I've gone ten rounds with King Kong anymore.

Bloke thought it was horrible when he stayed over. Then he stayed at his Mum's for a fortnight housesitting, sleeping on a pretty expensive, 3 year old mattress and bed. He practically crawled back onto my memory foam topper and refused to come out for 12 hours.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Craftyscholar
    Craftyscholar Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can use an electric blanket with a memory foam topper?
    I am addicted to my blanket in winter.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can use an electric blanket with a memory foam topper?
    I am addicted to my blanket in winter.

No you can't.

The way memory foam works is that it needs your body heat to react with it and soften the memory foam closest to your body. Then the memory foam further away will remain firmer, and support your body. If you use an electric blanket then it will soften all the memory foam preventing it working properly, and giving you support.

The heat can also damage the memory foam.

Memory foam has a warmer touch than most mattresses, so you shouldn't need an electric blanket anyway.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I agree with Tim.

It is much warmer on a memory foam topper/mattress - we're down to a 4.5 tog quilt and still haven't felt the need to close the window or add blankets yet, even when Bloke is not around. At the same time, I'm wearing jumpers and woolly socks during the day and looking for nice gloves, so it's not exactly tropical here.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • Craftyscholar
    Options
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    No you can't.

The way memory foam works is that it needs your body heat to react with it and soften the memory foam closest to your body. Then the memory foam further away will remain firmer, and support your body. If you use an electric blanket then it will soften all the memory foam preventing it working properly, and giving you support.
    Thanks. That makes sense.
    So if you change position during the night the memory foam has to readjust.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It adjusts very quickly. If the cat walks across the bare topper, she leaves a fading trail of perfect paw prints, By the time you turn and sigh, the foam has already adjusted.
  • Craftyscholar
    Options
    It adjusts very quickly. If the cat walks across the bare topper, she leaves a fading trail of perfect paw prints, By the time you turn and sigh, the foam has already adjusted.
    Thanks, Jojo.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    The trouble with memory foam in terms of warmth though is that if you get into bed cold it reflects the cold back at you and it's very hard to actually get warm. But once you're warm it's really toasty.

Very comfy apart from this though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport