Memory foam mattresses

Options
Has anyone tried memory foam mattresses. I suffer from chronic pain, the nerves in my spine are damaged, so I would love to know:
1. Do they work
2. Which one would you recommend
3. Where's the best place to buy one?
C'est la vie!

Comments

• krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    My sister has suffered from chronic back pain and now uses a Tempur mattress. She finds it excellent and as far as possible avoids sleeping anywhere other than her home. They are pricey, but she certainly reckons they are worth it. As I understand it the first couple of times it feels strange but you soon adjust to the feel and get all the benefit.

Don't know where you are, but if you are anywhere near London Warren Evans (http://www.warrenevans.com/) are great. And you can try out the mattresses in the showroom.
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tried out a couple of memory foam mattress and found that Tempur was too hard and made me hot so have gone for a medium Sealy Mirrorform mattress which is slightly softer and easier to get used to.

Lots of bed showrooms, Bensons, Furniture Village, have memory foam but dont get talked into cheap ones they dont last.

See BLT Beds and Citybeds websites for good deals
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about memory foam mattress toppers? A friend with FMS and a spinal injury got one last year and swears by it.

Has anyone else tried these?

Daisy
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I purchased ours from IKEA - layered foam mattress , with top being memory

not a bad price and looks quality
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    I bought my (double) memory foam mattress from QVC it was about £230 and comes with a reversable (fleece one side, quilted cotton the other) cover. I've had it for a year now and it is priceless. I had an overnight stay away from home last month and after sleeping on an ordinary mattress I felt like I'd been kicked all over. They have them in single, double and kingsize and you can try it for 30 days to see if you like it!! Honest - I don't work for QVC I'm just a very happy customer :j
  • Coolhandluke
    Options
    Also check out here
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Single: £119.99 Double: £149.99 King-size: £179.99
    You might want to read thread CHEAPEST MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS/ADJUSTAMATIC
    It would be helpful if anyone who has had one of these miraflex memory foam ones posted back to say how they have got used to it or not?
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have purchased Slumberland Memory Foam mattress (double) from Benson's at 450 pounds (we paid cash so we got 10% discount).

Have got it for nearly a week and it is superb!

Did not really like it when we tried at the shop and could not tell the difference between a traditional spring mattress but my DH really loved it and that's why I gave in.

Now we both really love the mattress and it's not too warm at all!

The mattress feels very different as it feels soft and hard in one (contradicting I know!), and we feel very refreshed in the morning too.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi

I suffer with Lupus, Fybomyalgia, oestiaporosis (in hips and base of spine) and a ton of other ailments..lol. I am unable to move around alot and am in pain 24/7. Joints, bones and muscles are very bad..only 30 :eek:

We have a superking bed and about 6 months ago bought a memory foam mattress from my mums catalogue (she had a voucher code and 6 months %0-and she paid half :D )...it is great. Although i dont sleep well anyway when I do get up the stairs to bed it is worth every penny. I would recomend personally to anyone with problems like myself.

I am waiting for my stairlift to be fitted, then I will be able to sleep in my comfy bed each night :p

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • valmiki
    valmiki Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://www.miraflex.co.uk

Apologies already posted this on the at home board, but I may get a reply on here!

I need to buy a king-size memory foam mattress, and the miraflex one has been mentioned a few times by Ted Hutchinson on various threads, but are they any good? the one person that mentioned use of them on here said that the mattress was pretty hard; when I emailed the company they said that the mattress was a 'medium'?

also the website advertises as 10cm viscose foam, but in their email they say it's only 5cm VF with 12 cm reflex foam - is this good/bad/neither? sadly, i'm not an orthopaedic chemical engineer!

please, if anyone out there has bought one of these then could you drop a quick message here to say whether they are any good... the prices for one of these mattresses look unbeatable, but the proof is in the use

thanks again

valmiki

the email I received

"The mattress is not too soft and not too hard it is in between both which is
    medium. The mattress consists of 5cm of visco elastic memory foam and 12cm
    of reflex foam altogether being 17cm deep. The warranty is 5 years. We offer
    free delivery in England, Scotland and Wales"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport