Memory foam mattresses

Options

Comments

• LizEstelle
    LizEstelle Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    jayne26 wrote:
    i got a topper from dunnell mill shops 130 ish , i love it , comffe , and wonderful . you seem to melt into it and it has a fleasy topping cover on it ,im sure my back pain has got better , its the best bed ever, try one it may just do the trick

So can you run past me what this 'topper' thing is?

Dad has been talking about getting a 2-inch or maybe TWO 2-inch mattresses (one on top of another) and I've no idea what to advise him. Where do you get them? Is ebay a possibility and if so who are the recommended sellers?
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    devasrs wrote: »
    Hi, a mattress topper seems to make much more sense. Most mattresses that I looked at only had a layer of memory foam on top, so it seems that a topper would do the same job at less than half the price. I got my Prima Comfort one online. When my mother-in-law stayed she slept on it and was free from her arthritic symptoms all the time that she was with us.

Toppers are a good cheaper alternative, but they don't come anywhere near a high quality mattress with memory foam built in.

Manufacturers spend a lot of time and money developing their mattresses in order to make sure all the fillings work well together to give the best possible support.

Also never use a topper to try and revive an old worn out mattress.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    LizEstelle wrote: »
    I have been wondering whether memory foam might be good for my arthritis-suffferer father who frequently can't get a reasonable night's sleep because of discomfort.

The necessary thickness of the foam seems to be a matter of some debate - and I wouldn't want to get this wrong.

Some manufacturers use very deep layers of memory foam, and tell people that the deeper the foam the better. The truth is that the optimum thickness for memory foam is 2" to 2 1/2". Less than this and it won't be enough to contour to your body. If the foam is too deep, then you will sink into it, and it will wrap around you making you too hot.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    LizEstelle wrote: »
    So can you run past me what this 'topper' thing is?

Dad has been talking about getting a 2-inch or maybe TWO 2-inch mattresses (one on top of another) and I've no idea what to advise him. Where do you get them? Is ebay a possibility and if so who are the recommended sellers?

I hope your dad isn't thinking of using 2 memory foam toppers on top of each other instead of a mattress??

Memory foam doesn't provide any spring, it just moulds to your body. The bounce comes from the layer underneath the memory foam. This can be either latex foam, open coil springs, or pocket springs. We recently sold an Eros and a Calypso mattress to an osteopath. So we asked their professional opinion on the best type of mattress for back support. They told us that most of their profession recommends a combination of pocket sprung and memory foam. They also went on to say that if you can't afford pocket sprung with memory foam, then the next best option is just pocket sprung, and that they are far superior to latex (or reflex) foam and memory foam mattresses that seem to be the most common memory foam mattresses on the market.
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too suffer from back problems.

I have been debating about purchasing this particular memory foam topper from Dunelm.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/range/Memory/Bedding_Mattress%20Protectors/1

Has anyone tried it?

Or shall I save up and buy a new mattress instead? I have a bedstead, so only need to replace the mattress.

Thanks.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Sensemaya wrote: »
    I too suffer from back problems.

I have been debating about purchasing this particular memory foam topper from Dunelm.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/range/Memory/Bedding_Mattress%20Protectors/1

Has anyone tried it?

Or shall I save up and buy a new mattress instead? I have a bedstead, so only need to replace the mattress.

Thanks.

See post 33...........however it all depends on your budget.

You need a mattress in good condition under a topper.
  • defjam64
    defjam64 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    my kid has a matress and it keep breakin he is a heavey lad but i was wonder in if meroy foam can break if not does anyone have ann aalterntaitve
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    defjam64 wrote: »
    my kid has a matress and it keep breakin he is a heavey lad but i was wonder in if meroy foam can break if not does anyone have ann aalterntaitve

The springs should be fine for any weight, however no mattresses are designed to be :j on. If he doesn't jump on it then you should take the mattress back to where you bought it from. What is the make and model of the mattress?

Memory foam mattresses aren't designed to be jumped on either, and would also be damaged by jumping on them. Also the price of memory foam mattresses means that constant replacement could be very expensive.
  • defjam64
    Options
    well the thing is he was sleeping ona sigle bed matress its silnght night and it broke as in the spring were dented and bends were in the matress this could be because the side rails were broken but it might not be have any ideas or y this happend
  • defjam64
    Options
    ps he is about ten stone & 1/3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business