PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe - Risotto

Options

Comments

• slonik
    slonik Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I always used to use arborio, or other stuff sold as 'risotto rice'. But I ran out the other day and tried it with the cheapo Sainsburys basics rice. IMHO the risotto was just as yummy and much cheaper.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • nickij_2
    nickij_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I' m going to try this tonight using the long grain rice I have in my store cupboard, some chicken stock and chicken pieces (from rubber chicken I cooked on Sunday), some bacon bits and a pepper - hope it works!
  • JoKay_2
    JoKay_2 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a delicious risotto - the first I've ever made - mushroom, courgette and chorizo (what's left in the fridge, basically!!).

Thanks for the tips and hints on this thread for a lovely cheap dinner!!
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon if you use ordinary rice and call it pilaff then no-one can bother you!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • Fivenations
    Options
    Long grain doesn't do it for me - there is no bite to the grain and not enough starch to give it its creamy texture or the right mouthfeel. But then I was weaned on the stuff - more's the pity as it costs!
    NSD 0/15
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    My kids are good eaters mainly but I'd like to be able to cook them a rice dish (for a change) and thought risotto would be the best idea - anyone got a foolproof recipe please??? :o:D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • witchypoo
    witchypoo Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use my favourite risotto recipe from one of Carol Vorderman's books, it is her summer spinach risotto. My kids love it and even my husband does and he never usually likes risotto! I cook it a few times a month. If you would like to try it I can look it up for you tomorrow.
    IAAR/IAAMM/MFTMFAQ/IOA6BH
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Mics_chick,

There are lots of nice risotto recipes on these threads:

Recipe - Risotto

Anyone got an easy savoury rice/risotto recipe

Risotto Recipe

Many of them contain wine but if you don't fancy using wine in food for the children just replace it with stock.

Pink
  • anniebooklover
    anniebooklover Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    I use Gary Rhodes' risotto recipe. It is foolproof and can be adapted so easily. He says so long as you remember three things, your risotto will be a success. One is to make sure that your stock is hot as you add it. Two is to add the stock in small amounts and keep stirring so all the rice is used to absorb it. Three is to add some parmesan as it really lifts the other flavours.

HTH
    "Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    - Proverb
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    I developed my own, just follow the pack instructions and add ingredients as you feel necassary. You have to start with onion and I use chicken in mine. Normally I add sun dried tomatoes or a bit of pesto, sweetcorn or peas, chicken and cheese to finish. I add some garlic and herbs for extra flavour too. Its really yummy and lots of kiddie friendly flavours!

There are no quantities and I just put bits in until im happy with the distribution and flavour. Its pretty foolproof!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure