PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Recipe - Risotto

Comments

• Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    16011996 - its quite thick, kind of gooey i guess! But has a huge amount of flavour to it. Very filling, so you dont need to make loads, although i always make some for lunch the next day!
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
  • MMHHHHHHH Risotto- here's BQ dad's super special Risotto Recipe:
    Ingredients: 1-2 cans of tuna in oil or brine
    1 can crabmeat (optional)
    enough rice to feed the family
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    1 can sweetcorn
    handful frozen peas
    handful frozen prawns (optional)
    1 fish stockcube (or real stock)
    water

How to make:

If oil tuna, open can and pour 1 cans worth into a big fryingpan, if using brine tuna use 1 tbl vegetable oil.
    Heat up, then add finely chopped onion and garlic. Fry for a minute until soft
    Add rice and stir until coated with oil and onion. Add generous amount of salt and pepper and stir in tuna and crabmeat if using.
    Make up enough fishstock to cover the mixture with about 1 inch stock higher than rice.
    Bring to the boil, then turn down and add drained sweetcorn. Pop the lid on the pan and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes.
    Add frozen peas and prawns if using, put lid back on and let heat through another 5 minutes. DON'T STIR THROUGHOUT!
    Hey presto- yummy scrummy famous daddy's risotto ;)
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • ;ooooooh....yummy!
    this is going onto next weeks' weekly menu....probably wednesday!!

incidentally, can you use any rice, or does it definatley have to be risotto rice (arborio..?)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    I would always do it on the hob. If you like comfort food its great you only need a few ingredients to make a risotto. I posted an onion and rosemary one a while back, chestnut is also lovely, as is prawn and pea with mint. (last one is a Jamie Oliver)
    Freezing it is fine if you manage to save any!

I have made sarahsavers onion and rosemary risotto and it is excellent - I highly recommend it.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • ;ooooooh....yummy!
    this is going onto next weeks' weekly menu....probably wednesday!!

incidentally, can you use any rice, or does it definatley have to be risotto rice
    (arborio..?)

To be honest I never knew there was a special Risotto rice :o
    I always use normal rice, but bizarrely my recipe works best with Lidl's parboiled american rice (I think that's what i's called).
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • Bendybops19
    I have always used proper risotto rice, i didnt realise that u could use other rice?
    Does it work as well? That'll be great if i can use normal rice!! Save me money!
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    If it's just for me then I use any old rice that's around...(even pudding!) If I'm making an effort and doing it properly then it has to be either arborio or carnaroli rice as I do think it makes a difference.. The risotto seems to be just soooo much creamier with the proper stuff.

BTW...how 'soupy' do you make your risotto? I'm always arguing with people about this! I'm a 'so runny it has to be in a soup dish' advocate...but I've noticed lots of people (and some restaurants), make it so it stands up on its own :eek:
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Bendybops19
    Allexie - risotto isnt supposed to be runny at all, its a thick dish. So yeah, it should be able to stand up on its own! Your supposed to keep it cooking until most of the wine and stock has disappeared, so its just the flavour.

But, i am sure runny risotto is still as tasty :)
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    I love Jamie Oliver's Prawn and Pea risotto. Take a look here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cats/risotto.php

IMHO risotto should always be fairly gloopy and you should be able to stand a fork up in it.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Risotto is also one of my all-time favourite comfort foods mmmmm :)

I like a mushroom one using a variety of mushrooms - porcini, !!!!ake, chestnut etc - and I always add white wine, HM stock, fresh parmesan and a dollop of butter (not great for the waistline so I don't eat it often! :o )

I agree with others that it should be "gloopy" but not too runny that it spreads out on the plate, and can be eaten with a fork, not a spoon LOL! ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.