PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe - Risotto

Options

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I heat the rice in some oil and garlic/pesto/something with flavour first. Then add boiling stock to the rice.

Classic recipes say you should add the stock slowly but I bung it all in and then bring up to boil, then simmer gently with a lid on the pan for about 20 mins. You should stop cooking just before the rice is ready as it will absorb a bit more liquid as you're serving up.

As you've got lots in the cupboard I would recommend experimenting with flavours that you like. Try using wine, lemon, salmon etc. It's worthwhile as once you've got the knack risotto is a delicious and quick meal and one of those things you can vary according to what's in the cupboard (or going limp in the bottom of the fridge!)

We're having risotto tonight, with dried mushrooms and leftover chicken. I love risotto! (can you tell?)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • carinska
    carinska Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Hi! I don't have recipe as such, but the trick to tasty rissotto is to add the stock a teeny bit at a time. Normally I have a pot of chicken stock on the hob next to the rice pan, keeping it warm seems to help too. (I just use a stock cube but I'm sure real chicken stock would be even tastier). I normally chop up some onion, about 1/2 an onion but there's only 2 of us, so more if you're cooking for more people obviously. Sizzle that in a little bit of oil in a saucepan for a few minutes, garlic too if you like it, then add the rice (dry) and sizzle that for a few minutes with the onion and garlic. Then add about a small ladleful of stock, stir occasionally until it is all soaked up, then keep adding the stock a small ladleful at a time until the rice is cooked. (about 20 mins I think?). Don't add any more stock until each spoonful is absorbed, if you know what I mean. Then when it is ready you can add anything else you like, I put in a bit of grated parmesan, butter if feeling really piggy, sometimes those dried mushrooms that you soak first, sometimes basil, some chicken bits, basically anything that's lying about. Oooh any kind of spicy sausage is nice too like chorizo or pepperoni. Leave it for few mins for flavours to all mingle.
    Mmmm I am hungry now. hope that helps!
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My first attempt at making risotto was using a Jamie Oliver recipe (from Jamie's Italy). It's similar to the one here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta/

I now just add additional ingredients to the basic risotto mix. We are having risotto tonight and I'm throwing in some of the gammon currently in the slow cooker and some mushrooms.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is an oven baked version from Delia - saves the whole adding a bit of stock at a time thing if you're worried about it. It may look as though there's an awful lot of ingredients, but pecorino is cheaper than parmesan and just as tasty, if you're really trying to save then use finely grated strong cheddar, and leave it out overnight to loose some moisture.
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped me out :T

I made a lovely risoto earlier - just with some onion, celery and mushrooms and lots of butter :o It tasted really yummy and will definitely be making it more! I made a 4 portion one and there is a tiny amount left after OH and I really went for it!

Thanks for taking the fear of risoto away and for giving us yet another dinner idea!
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    You can make a sweet risotto too (like rice pudding) - with hot milk instead of stock and some sugar, cinnamon, etc - good comfort food on a cold winters night. :)
    http://creampuffsinvenice.typepad.com/cream_puffs_in_venice/comfort_food/index.html

If you want a soothing Arborio rice dish without any stirring try the baked rice recipe: http://creampuffsinvenice.typepad.com/cream_puffs_in_venice/2007/01/rice_is_nice.html

General risotto tips and recipes:
    http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/Food.homepage/sid/5949
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • debtworrier
    Options
    Think of it as savoury rice pudding.
  • kimith84
    kimith84 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    hmmm this is making me hungry - neber thought of having gammon in rissotto
    may have to try some 2night hee hee
    :rolleyes:

keep your drink.....just give me the money
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love gammon risotto - having it tonight! Just debating whether to put white wine in it too.

Gammon risotto always has more taste than chicken (I think). I also like prawn risotto. yum yum.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Fivenations
    Fivenations Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    Allexie wrote: »
    BTW...how 'soupy' do you make your risotto? I'm always arguing with people about this! I'm a 'so runny it has to be in a soup dish' advocate...but I've noticed lots of people (and some restaurants), make it so it stands up on its own :eek:

I dont think there is really a right or wrong way. tIt Italy it all depends on what part of of the country you're from! Many Italians tend to prefer it on the drier side while Venetians like it sloppy (but then they would!) To each their own
    NSD 0/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport