PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ummmm....that sounds like a nice one. Ta.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Ummmm....that sounds like a nice one. Ta.

did you spot me trying to lay it out like that book you like? :rotfl:I don't think my brain works that way naturally!

re: indexing. May take some time folks, I've done an hour and a half and I'm less than a third of the way through! It's a labour of love though...

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep...I did...I did...duly noted!:D Give that woman 10 out of 10.:T

Ta muchly (from all of us) for that index....we do appreciate you weezl:T
  • weezl74
    Options
    Ta ceridwen :D, I'm gonna take a break from the indexing for a bit, my shoulders are aching!

ISOM this link looks good for wholemeal pastry...

being wholemeal, it will also help with your iron quest. As would letting me make you a blood sausage, but i guess you can't be tempted!?

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • queen_of_string
    Options
    The index is fab thanks. Just a quick question, in the cinnamon bread, is that strong flour or normal? thanks
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya,
    Right I'm totally new to this so I hope I get it right....

I just spent the last two days reading the entire thread, and it's fab, thanks to all of you, got a long list of recipes I want to try out when I get time (i.e. tear myself away from the computer:o)

We had spinach & potatoe pie (which of course can be subst with nettles!) with cheese on top t'other day and it was deeelicious! Wholemeal pastry...can anyone offer a good recipe so I can lurk it tomorrow from work & get ingredients on way home tom? Pretty please...pref a tried & tested recipe but if not a tried & tested chef maybe?!!

ISOM, if you tell me how to make a potato pie I'll give you my very well tried, tested and loved wholemeal pastry recipe!

To make enough for a pie (I make mine in a sandwich tin) you need

300ml wholemeal flour + extra
    150g butter
    3 tbsp cold water

Mix it all together rapidly so it dosen't get too warm, I always add more flour, probably about another 100ml.

Leave in fridge for 15-30 min, then just line the sandwich tin with your lovely pastry, reserving about a third of it for the lid.

Put your filling in , whop the lid on and cook away!

I get lots of compliments for my pastry so I know it's good.
    I use the same for sweet and savoury dishes alike but sometimes add a tbsp of sugar for sweet ones.

Hope this is useful.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    was walking the rottie earlier and wandered past an elderberry bush and i thought of this thread as all the elderflowers are out at the moment and i must admit they smell bloomin lovely. as i`m skint this month (bit of an understatement! :rotfl: ) i thought i`d look up recipes for elderflower, theres loads of elderflower wine/cordial recipes but i thought you guys might be interested in the elderflower fritters that i might have a stab at tommorrow http://www.recipezaar.com/67595 not exactly the healthiest but it looks like it might make loads for pennies, apparantly elderflower fritters were very popular back in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. dya reckon i could freeze the fritters :confused: have never tried freezing fried food before :undecided
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • weezl74
    Options
    The index is fab thanks. Just a quick question, in the cinnamon bread, is that strong flour or normal? thanks

hello queen of string and welcome!

I have done it with both (non strong is cheaper ;)) but find that with non-strong (normal plain) flour it helps to use the water from boiling the potatoes in as part of the liquid in the bread. This increases the starch content and makes it stronger.

germish_se, hiya and thanks for a fab recipe! You must've been reading this thread for a long time, it's gotten pretty enormous! Thanks for posting, and joining in the fun. :D

Hello again angchris :A, fab idea about the fritters! I would say freeze away, they just might lack a crunchiness after being defrosted. But doughnuts are fried, and can be frozen after, and I think they're still yummy...

Love to all of you,

Weezl x

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about using potatoe water for the pastry.

The potato pie sounds like good old Homity Pie.

There are loads of recipes, but I make a filling by boiling the potatoes and onions together - season and you can mix cheese in and/or put some on top.

Google it and take your pick.
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Heres our family fave veg curry i use balti paste and sometimes stir a bit of coconut milk or cream in at the end

Chickpea and Potato Curry

1-tablespoon oil
    1 large onion finely chopped
    4 Tablespoons curry paste abou 1/3 jar
    1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
    100ml water
    1 x 400g cans of chickpeas drained and rinsed
    250g potatoes peeled and diced quite small
    5 lumps of frozen spinach
    Approximately 12 cherry tomatoes
    • Fry the onion in the oil until softened
    • Add the curry paste and cook gently until all the onion is coated
    • Stir in the tinned tomatoes

• Add the potato and chick peas
    • If the mixture is very dry add the water then bring to the boil reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are cooked (approx 15 minutes)
    • At the last 5 minutes add the spinach and cherry tomatoes

Shaz

Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills