school exam invigilator anyone??

Options

Comments

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Yes , men are just as welcome as women, and having children of your own is not necessary. You do have to have an enhanced CRB check - in our school we would arrange, and pay, for this if you are deemed suitable after interview and as long as your references are fine.
    [
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    Interesting thread I hadn't noticed before.
    What about males, no children, no experience of school (apart from when having to be there!). Are they wanted as well? Also are we expected to provide a CRB in addition to what the school may want? I've never needed one before.

As Bennifred rightly says, you probably DO need a CRB check - but if the school wants to employ you, then they ought to fund it.

I used to run the Examinations Office in an internationally-famous private school, which is why I know about these things.

Males are subject to the same checks as females and, certainly in the larger schools, suitable volunteers are most welcome. We had to rely on teachers for our invigilation and looked into external support towards the end of my time there. Using teachers means, of course, that non-exam-year pupils can miss out on classes and some exam-year students can potentially miss out on extra revision assistance.

Good luck to you. x
  • kst101
    kst101 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    I invigilate at two local secondary schools and one local university. University pays rather more and also has longer sessions which is doubly good. They also have more sessions (I will be doing about 10.5 hours in one day in a couple of weeks for them).

There is a range of people who do it - quite a few retired, some people like me who are generally stay at home parents but like something that fits in around children being at school and some people who do various other things. There are quite a few post grad students at the university who do invigilating.

Does get very boring sometimes but is always good knowing you are earning money for watching people work. And there is quite a good sense of being part of a team which I like.

Have been putting all my sessions into my diary - am going to be busy over the next couple of months or so (also have a couple of exam marking jobs too).
  • tinktay84
    tinktay84 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    timefortea wrote: »
    I used to do this, I worked through an agency which also supplied TAs and teachers to schools (I did all three). The advantage of working with my agency was that they paid a flat fee of £30 for half a day, so if I was lucky enough to get a 30 minute exam I would be in and out within an hour, £30 richer! They also handled liaising with the schools, so I didn't have to apply to lots of places, negotiate my hours, or deal with getting paid at all, the agency handled it all. I also only needed one CRB, though I had to pay for it myself.

was this agency a local one or national? I am very interested in this and have just emailed a few local schools. There are around 10 schools within a mile of my house (none of which had a place for my son but thats another story!) and im sure at least one of them must need help...its just getting in there
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • SAK45
    SAK45 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Is it too late to apply guys? If not please direct me. Thanks in advance.
    Even time will never heal these scars
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    I would say far too late for this season. Most schools will have their invigilation timetables drawn up over Easter. Best time to apply for summer invigilation is January/February.
    [
  • SAK45
    SAK45 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Bennifred wrote: »
    I would say far too late for this season. Most schools will have their invigilation timetables drawn up over Easter. Best time to apply for summer invigilation is January/February.

Thanks for your advice :o
    Even time will never heal these scars
  • kst101
    kst101 Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    If you applied to one of the schools here I think they would welcome you with open arms. We moved here last June and I got in touch with lots of schools (having invigilated where we used to live) and did a few sessions in one of the schools.

Wouldn't harm to get in touch with some - they probably do exams in November and may use invigilators for tests in September. There are January exams too and a few in March.
  • mumof2nanof2
    mumof2nanof2 Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sak45, It's not too late if you apply for a college. I have an interview tomorrow and have been told it's a year long job.
  • timefortea
    timefortea Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    tinktay84 wrote: »
    was this agency a local one or national? I am very interested in this and have just emailed a few local schools. There are around 10 schools within a mile of my house (none of which had a place for my son but thats another story!) and im sure at least one of them must need help...its just getting in there

They operate in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. They're called Leap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure