Premium Bond Winner ?

Options

Comments

• cal
    cal Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    It makes no difference to your chances of winning if the numbers are consecutive or not. Keep it simple, think of a die (single of dice). If you roll a 6, does it effect the chances of getting a 6 on the next roll. The events are completely independent. You could pick to win on evens or numbers 1 to 3 the probabilty of you winning is still 1/2.
    The premium bond is exactly like that but more numbers involved. Most scientific calculators have a random generator button, try one add see what happens, you could find that in say 100 attempts the same number comes up more than once - does this make it lucky? Are high numbers more likely then low? Of course not.
    If it makes you happy to trade in bonds or buy consecutive fine, but do not believe you are actually increasing your chance of winning.
  • trademark
    Options
    £10150 now ..... no knock on the door yesterday , no phone call today ..... best stay at work i think ..

i AM going to win the big one on these ...........
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have my holder's number on me at the moment, but browsing through November's list of major prizes, I see that someone in LB of Barnet (where I live!) with a holding of £30K (which I have!!), had a big win with a bond bought in March 04 (close - if not exactly - when I bought some!!!) in a block of 5,000 (which mine were!!!!).

Ooooh, the suspense!

Alas, it can't be me because it's one of the million quid prizes, and they would have contacted me in person already.
  • ericpode
    ericpode Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It makes no difference to your chances of winning if the numbers are consecutive or not. Keep it simple, think of a die (single of dice). If you roll a 6, does it effect the chances of getting a 6 on the next roll. The events are completely independent. You could pick to win on evens or numbers 1 to 3 the probabilty of you winning is still 1/2 .... etc

You are absolutley right. The numbers themselves are really just convenient "labels" to allow each premium bond to be uniquely identified. The mistake some people make is to ascribe properties of numeric systems (such as numbers being consecutive) to Ernie's selection process just because the labelling system uses numbers.

The same goes for numbers selected in the national lottery.

If each "bond" or ball was labeled with a unique hieroglyph then there is no concept of any two being "consecutive". In this case numbers are just as unrelated.

You have just as much chance of a getting a big win on the lottery by selecting 1,2,3... as on randomly chosen numbers. You might however find that you have to share with more or fewer winners but that depends on the psychology of the other players.
  • trademark
    trademark Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    unlucky stonk .... yes apparently if you win the million a nice chap called andrew pops around to your house for a cuppa .....

ive seen this on a previous advert so andrew may have left by now of course
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    trademark wrote:
    unlucky stonk .... yes apparently if you win the million a nice chap called andrew pops around to your house for a cuppa .....

Now I'm home and can find my holder number, and it turns out I am a winner! Just the usual £50, but don't knock it ...

:beer:
  • helen21_2
    helen21_2 Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Options
    Stonk wrote:
    Now I'm home and can find my holder number, and it turns out I am a winner! Just the usual £50, but don't knock it ...

:beer:
    how you know you won already? Put my number in and it only comes up with octobers :confused:
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    webwiz wrote:
    Have you checked with NSI whether any of your bonds have won prizes? Warning - don't ask if you have any unclaimed prizes, make it clear that you want to check all the wins against your own list of wins (which is nil but don't tell them). This weird procedure is necessary to get them to do the job properly, given a chance they will simply tell you about your prizes which are unclaimed according to their definition.

Or just check online: http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/haveYouWon.jsp
  • Irishorangutan
    Options
    just checked my £10 bonds I've had since 1982 (when I was born) and I haven't won a sausage either.......or money for that matter.
    26/09/2017 - Started comping again. Wins so far: 1!
    11/10/17 - Capture Kill Release on DVD
  • ianm41
    ianm41 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had £2200 since sept 03....total winnings so far......£0 Ah well...maybe next month!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure