PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    This is my own recipe:

Roast Parsnip and Apple soup
    Onion, chopped
    1lb/500g Parsnips, roasted
    1lb/500g Apples, peeled and cored
    2-3 litres Veg or chicken stock
    Seasoning

Cook onion until soft. Cut roasted parsnips into pieces and add to onions. Add apples and stock. Simmer. Blitz with blender stick. Serve.
    TL
  • donner_kebab
    Options
    Hiya!

I make soup everyday for lunch...I'm on a diet too so they are Slimming World friendly if anyone is interested! I am looking for more though so hope everyone keeps on posting! The measurements should be about right...I am doing this from memory though!

Tomato and Basil -
    1) Big jar of passata
    2) 1 red pepper
    3) 1 red onion
    4) few cloves of crushed garlic
    5) 1/2 tsp of Sweetner
    6) 1 pint of veg stock
    7) bunch of fresh Basil...must be fresh!

Fry 2 and 3 and 4 together for a few mins. Add 1 and 6 and then 5 and simmer for 30 mins. After this add the basil and then blend when it has cooled (I didn't and melted my blender stick! :D )

Leek and Potato -
    1) Leeks chopped up
    2) onion
    3) handful of potatoes (i keep the skin on cause I'm lazy but it tastes fine to me!)
    4) Boquet garni (tea bag with herbs in!)
    5) Dried Thyme
    6) 1 litre veg stock

Add 1,2,3 to a pan. Add 6, 4, 5 and bring to boil and then leave simmering for 30 mins and then blend when cool

Minestrone -
    1) 2 big Tins of chopped toms
    2) 1 litre of beef stock like bovril
    3) basil
    4) onion
    5) 1 carrot
    6) celery (if you can stand it...I can't so leave it out!)
    7) macaroni pasta tubes
    8) crushed garlic

Fry 4, 5, 6 and 8 for a few mins. Then add 1, 2 and 3 and simmer for about 30 mins and it will thicken up. Blend when cooled down a bit and then I cook the (item 7) pasta tubes and add them to the belned soup as I don't like soup with lumps. You could just add the tubes to the soup mix before you start to cook it for the 30 mins if your not a baby like me and don't like food with lumps in! :rotfl:

I hope these help a bit...they do taste yummy (if I do say so myself) and I make them for my boyf everyday and he eats them too...and is still alive to tell the tale!

Take care, luv Don x
    :j 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' - DFW Nerd member 866 :j
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/index.htmlHi

found this site which has some nice soup recipes for spice lovers. Also has lots of other interesting stuff too.

Hope it works, first go with a link. Am better at making soup methinks!

J
    x
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • jmarko
    jmarko Posts: 4,137 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ok, possibly the wrong place so feel free to move it but we've recently rediscovered soup. Making our own, that is.

We have this thing against eating processed foods and often get into the 'how do you find the time' conversation. But yesterday, for instance, I made a butternut squash and carrot soup. Took an hour or so but it wasn't for yesterday, has nothing bad in it (if you excuse the lump of butter!) and I know that I'll not have to cook for another three days! Ooh and it tastes yummmmmmmmmy! And it wasn't that expensive (especially when you consider it will feed two of us for three days).

So, my question is, with the time and money constraints that a lot of us have, why aren't we making our own soups?

jmarko

PS all receipes gratefully received.
    PPS mine was particularly easy and I will share it with you in a little while but only if you want me to! :)
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,687 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't it because my generation (I'm 30) has been brainwashed by advertising into believing that we have 'no' time and that pre-packaged muck is the answer? I had homemade soup today for lunch (made yesterday), lentil and bacon.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • jmarko
    jmarko Posts: 4,137 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That sounds good! :D

Could be - I'm that generation too though! I've a bad feeling that we may be the last of the cooks! :eek:

jmarko
    My signature has been removed by the authorities. If you have been affected by the issues raised in this signature, please contact the Action Line on 1-800-THEY-NICKED-MY-SIG.
  • Peem
    Peem Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    I make a batch of soup every week. Think I learned it from my mum. This week's was chorizo and bean. It does at least one lunch at the weekend. Lunch through the week and sometimes some goes in the freezer as a standby.

I do tend to keep a tin of heinz tomato in the cupboard. Means I don't always have to make something the kids'll eat ie can make something dh and i will really appreciate (specially spicy). Or sometimes it comes in handy for when Dh doesn't want what I want to make (he can't stand stilton but kids and I love broccoli and stilton soup)

(Note : I hate heinz tomato soup and since I'm in charge of soup making then I get to pick.lol)

I don't make my own stock though.

Oh - and I'm not THAT old. (37)
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am making soup :)

At least twice a week - big batches. Loads in the freezer and always with homemade stock;)
  • carrieparkinson
    Options
    i would love to make hm soup but i havent found a soup recipe yet that doesnt make me feel sick. (i only eat cream of chick and mulligatawny and at a real push, mushroom) yes im a very picky eater.
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made parsnip soup last night (while cooking the curry for tea) and am just eating it now!!

Adding in curry powder works well to take away some of the sweetness. ;)

Edit: It was:-

1 onion gently fried

then added:
    3 large parsnips peeled and chopped fairly small (as OH likes it blended later)
    2 potatoes chopped
    some thyme
    some curry powder to taste
    2 pints of water

Boiled till veg was really soft then mashed it (as I was too lazy to wash the blender!!)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure