PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a great thickener for soups (pinched from the scots mince recipe) you can add a couple of tablespoons of ready break right at the start. (or very well whizzed porridge oats).

If you overdo it, just add a little water towards the end, if you think it's still too thin - just leave the lid off for a while.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • gnome_3
    gnome_3 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    You can add a floury potato to the soup, this will break up and thicken it
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    I have a big bag of chard left over from the last veg box (nearly two weeks ago, so lasting well!). I don't fancy anything with it at the moment other than soup. I'm probably going to pop an onion, potato and veg stock in, and a little bit of carrot I have left, then the chard, seasoning, and whizz it away...

Unless anyone knows better?...I can't see a chard soup recipe in the index, but if anyone has a tried and tested, I'd be glad of it!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ahhhhh it was chard that I sliced up to go in my veggie soup! Very yummy it was too :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Not tried it yet, but I came across this one when I was looking for some ideas to use up some Pearl barley:

Vegetable and Barley Soup
    Chunky meal of a soup
    http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/barley.htm
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And again - no direct help on soup but the links in the post below might inspire you :)

Chard
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you people, I've Googled it, too, and I think I'm going to make it up as I go along, with some green lentils. I'll be blitzing it before serving...should be good. And my latest bread rolls are TO DIE FOR!!!!!! I'm on a real white bread kick at the moment, and I know it's not as good for us, but doesn't it go so well with butter and soup?!...
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Cullen Skink (traditional Scottish fish soup):
    http://www.polkadotmittens.co.uk/recipes/soups/cullen.html

Also:
    * sweet potato, bacon & lentil soup
    * french onion soup
    * parsnip, mustard and cheese soup (celeriac)
    * broccolli, stilton and bacon soup
    * Chickpea soup with yogurt and hummous
    * Cullen Skink
    * pea and garlic soup
    http://www.polkadotmittens.co.uk/recipes/soups/soups.html

Bouillabaisse (traditional Marseille French fish soup):
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cuisine.provencale/bouillabais.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey, you remember that Nigel Slater book that I wasn't even go to go and look at ;) ... well it just arrived on my doorstep about an hour ago! :whistle: :p :dance:

Only had a quick flick through so far but it certainly looks good, and at less than half price you can't grumble :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    There was a soup website on radio 2 yesterday.

www.soupsong.com

There are loads of different recipies on there :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family