PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• cymro1170
    cymro1170 Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In Wales we have what is known as "Cawl"

There are hundreds of variations to it, but they're all basically the same.
    It's delicious, and will warm and fill you up a treat - tastes even better on the second day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/ilovewales/sections/food/cawl.shtml
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made a lovely veggie soup the other day using leeks, celery, parsnip and carrots, along with a handful of pearl barley, but this time I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of tomato puree to give that orangey appearance of a Heinz veggie soup. I also shredded some leaves (can't remember their damn name - like kale but not kale) and some fresh parsley which I stirred through for the last 5 minutes and it was really lovely!

The boys ate two huge bowlfuls each so it must have been good! :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Hi CQ - did you get your soup book from amazon yet? I got Jamies Italy today, only had time for a brief browse, but it looks really good, looking forward to the TV prog (Starts Ch4 19th Oct I think?)

Hugh Fernely Whittingstall (spelling?!) will be on Richard and Judy today (Friday 07 October) 5:00pm - 6:00pm Channel 4 talking about his new cookbook for families discovering the fun of cooking together, and everyone who enjoys simple home-cooked food.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I did! They arrived on Monday (Soup book and Jamie's Italy) but I've only had a quick flick through so far but they look great and I'm looking forward to trying out some new recipes :D

Very disappointed in BOL though as I've still not received anything and they took payment on the day I ordered, which must have been around 3 weeks ago now! I think I should email them and find out where my books are!

I'll try to catch HFW on tv later, thanks! That's one of the books I still have on order which us due out next week I think.
    ~

• competitionscafe
    Options
    Yes, I am also still waiting for my Rick Stein from bol, I knew they were slow but 3 and a half weeks is a bit much! :( I didn't get the soup book in the end (amazon dropped the price then raised it again), was waiting to see if bol stocked it (they haven't yet) but at the rate they deliver I would probably have to wait until Christmas for it to turn up!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I had a bit of an argument with Amazon over that as I spotted it for around £8 at the weekend, but then they put the price back up to £10.79 on Monday before answering my email! They'd also reduced Jamie's book too which they did refund me the difference for, over £2, so at least I got something back.

It's worth bearing in mind and checking any books you buy from Amazon as they have a policy of refunding the difference if you spot a price reduction within 30 days of buying ;)
    ~

• kirstyreanne
    Options
    I made a lovely microwave chicken & sweetcorn soup on Tuesday.

Mix 50g Flour with 50g of melted butter, then gradually add a mixture of 1/4 pint chicken stock & 3/4 pint milk & season to taste. Heat on full for approx 7 minutes, stirring every minute or so to take out any lumps.
    The recipe said to just add sweetcoen & chicken but what I did to make it even tastier is blended some chicken & sweetcorn into a puree with a bit of the mixture & then mixed it into the soup. Add the whole sweetcorn and pieces of chicken & away to go.

I've been having it for dinner in work & it's been scrummy!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I am also still waiting for my Rick Stein from bol, I knew they were slow but 3 and a half weeks is a bit much! :( I didn't get the soup book in the end (amazon dropped the price then raised it again), was waiting to see if bol stocked it (they haven't yet) but at the rate they deliver I would probably have to wait until Christmas for it to turn up!

Talk of the devil, I've just received my books this afternoon! :j

I didn't think HFW's book was due out for another week or so yet, but it's arrived today! I have to say, on just having a quick flick through it, this is one book that is a "must have" in the kitchen of every OS'er! :D
    ~

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hey

OH bought a huge bag of Leeks on tuesday and need using up. Also have available: carrots, chick peas, tinned sweetcorn, bacon, some other bits and bobs. Dont want a creamy soup but something more like I can sip through the day so a general soup IYKWIM. Also, something I can freeze-and can make a large soup as I have the 6.5ltr SC.

Any ideas??? As basic as possible please, oh and I dont have any stock-but do have stock cubes :confused: Would like texture to be thickish but not proping your spoon up in it..lol

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey

OH bought a huge bag of Leeks on tuesday and need using up. Also have available: carrots, chick peas, tinned sweetcorn, bacon, some other bits and bobs. Dont want a creamy soup but something more like I can sip through the day so a general soup IYKWIM. Also, something I can freeze-and can make a large soup as I have the 6.5ltr SC.

Any ideas??? As basic as possible please, oh and I dont have any stock-but do have stock cubes :confused: Would like texture to be thickish but not proping your spoon up in it..lol

PP
    xx

If you have any tinned tomatoes and pasta shapes, you could make a minestrone of sorts.

Fry bacon and a some onion in a little olive oil and butter.
    Add some garlic, basil and black pepper.
    Add chopped carrots and tinned tomatoes and allow to sweat for 15 mins.
    Then add stock made from the stock cubes.
    Add leeks and sweetcorn and simmer for 20 mins.
    Finally add pasta.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family