PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a lovely site :) I'll copy it into the Cooking Section of the MEGA Index right away.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Hey, you remember that Nigel Slater book that I wasn't even go to go and look at ;) ... well it just arrived on my doorstep about an hour ago! :whistle: :p :dance:

Only had a quick flick through so far but it certainly looks good, and at less than half price you can't grumble :D

Yes, that's the one I managed to resist! :) (so far!) Is it all in diary format or is it laid out like a normal cookbook?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's the one I managed to resist! :) (so far!) Is it all in diary format or is it laid out like a normal cookbook?

It's in full diary format with meal suggestions for every day of the year and a selection of recipes for each month written out in full, with accompanying colour photos! :)

It's a pretty substantial book with around 400 pages so very good value for money at the reduced price! :money:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm just about to go and hunt my jar of split peas out as I bought an organic gammon hock at the farmers market :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just made the Italian Tomato Soup from the soupsong website posted a little while ago.

I didn't blitz it because I wasn't about to try skinning and de-seeding the whole load of tiny cherry tomatoes I had, so once the cooking period was done I just pressed it through a seive with the back of a soup ladle.

The sad news is that I may never be able to eat shop bought tomato soup again because this was absolutely delicious!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • dbilsborough
    Options
    I make soup all the time usually from random ingredients bought from the reduced section of our local supermarkets. The local Asda sells off everything at 1p later at night, and the local Tesco's prices seem to vary. I also buy a lot of veg from the local greengrocer

Last week I made some lovely soup from:

Chicken stock from a stock cube
    a bag of curly kale
    a leek
    a celeriac
    a carrot
    an onion
    a bag of organic rocket

total cost was about £2 and it made enough for 3 meals

I never really follow recipes, just bung it in a pan, cook it, blend it and eat it :)

I have been shopping tonight and have a couple of pak choi and 2 bags of baby carrots all for just 42p (the full price was £3.80) and they are in perfect condition.

It's a bit of fun trying the different combinations of vegetables, but I have never had a bad soup yet.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh, soup!
    Just about to put some stock on for tonight's soup for dinner.
    I have never used a recipe for soup, just bung in whatever's to hand (within reason!)
    Tonight's will be mostly tomato soup, as we still have sooooo many tomatoes left in the garden & greenhouse.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just made split pea and ham using the organic gammon hock that I got from the market. I've never been overly fond of home made soups but when I put my spoon in to taste if it needed any more seasoning I found my spoon going back for a taste test another 3 times :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • almacmil
    almacmil Posts: 4,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DW makes some wonderful (IMHO) soups. I'm trying to get her on this site so some recipes may appear sometime.

One of the best is made in conjunction with boiled chicken. Stock, root veg, herbs, seasoning and chicken in a pot, boil and simmer till the chicken is cooked then serve, maybe using the "soup" base as gravy. Whatever is left of the chicken meal (potatoes, veg etc excluding bones!!) is then put back in the pot and you have chicken and veg soup! Very tasty, very efficient and means you've got lots left to freeze.
    Apparently, if you lose one sense, others senses are enhanced. That's why those who have no sense of humour have an enlarged sense of self-importance.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made a pot of soup today, as soup made on Thursday was finished sooner than planned! Just made up with what I had - carrots, celery, onion, veg stock cubes - raked in freezer, found frozen spinach which went in too, used pressure cooker. Cooked split peas separately in bowl in microwave, blitzed them when cooked and added to soup.
    DD moans like mad when I add lentils, split peas etc to soup, so have to cook separately, blitz and she is none the wiser. Would be more economical to cook all at once and blitz, but she likes the veggies to be chunky, so will carry on with my deception.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport