PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Soup recipes

Options

Comments

• tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Our favourite soup is leek and lentil

Chop an onion and a large leek into slices, saute off in a frying pan with a little oil or butter, herbs de provance, pepper, a couple of crushed cloves of garlic,when the onions and leeks are soft put into the slow cooker and add 2 chicken stock cubes , a good half tablespoon of tomato puree and about a litre of water, half a cup of lentils, cook on low for about 5 hours, stir it occasionally, if the lentils are not quite cooked leave it for another hour or so.

Serve with chunks of garlic bread.... if I have some streaky bacon I cook it until crisp and crumble it into the soup when serving............

I store it in the fridge, it can thicken and the flavour is better on the second day, if needs be add a little water when reheating, it seperates so stir well before tipping into a saucepan before reheating.

It is delicious made with the liquor from a boiled bacon joint, beef it up a bit with a lamb stock cube.........or make it with lamb stock slightly different taste but equally good. Do not add extra salt is using stock cubes there is enough salt in the cubes.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • tootles_2
    Options
    Celeric is delicious either cooked or raw, in france they grate it and serve it stirred into mayonnaise, not easy to peel though..... a sharp knife is needed. You can steam it and mash with butter and little cream and a small amount of grated nutmeg. Use instead of spuds, or sitr it into mashed spuds.

Total so far £14.00!!
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ems*Honie wrote:
    Just saw your sig line!! Well done,,!! Enjoy being debt free xxxQUOTE]

Thank you. I shall do. (although I wont want to spend my money now!) :0)

xx
  • ms_london
    ms_london Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Leek & Lentil sounds nice.....yummm!!!

I dont have a slow cooker though. I wonder how many points are in lentils - it does sound very hearty though.

Leek & Potato is another favourite. MmMMMmmm!!

xx
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a pumpkin/squash novice, but I thought that you roast it in two halves and then scoop out the stuff to use when cooked in lots of recipes, so you don't necessarily need to peel it for all recipes.

I did find this site with instructions for dealing with squashes and pumpkins though:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/greenline/98v6/gl9812.09.html
  • Ems*Honie
    Ems*Honie Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so no good for stews or soup then :( the bloomin thing is huge too,, lol might mash it and pop it onto the top of the cas tonight,, convince the kids it cottage pie ;)
  • emmarooney
    Options
    I adore home made soup - do it most weeks and take it to work for lunch.

Current favourites are Leek and Butterbean - a couple of leeks, a small tin of butterbeans, a clove of garlic, stock or water to cover and a stock cube, cook till it's all soft, whizz, season if you need, done! I added a small peeled and diced potato last week, but it isn't necessary.

Sweet potato and sweet corn soup - 1 sweet potato, 1 small tin of corn, a chopped onion, a garlic clove, stock or water and stock cube, cook for about 20 minutes and blitz. This then needs a tiny bit of cayenne or chilli powder to make it really work, it's great!

And to take them to work safely with no spills I use a Rachel's Dairy yoghurt pot or a Sainsbury jar from their ready made soup range (because their Thai chicken soup is gorgeous and worth the money every so often) - both have really well fitting lids, are fine in the micro and washable for re-use.

Cost pennies, kitchen gods completely satisfied and home-cooking-o-meter well into the black!
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Ems*Honie - we were in France in the summer and they do a celeriac version of coleslaw.

Just tried google and found a celeriac soup recipe, so you can use it to make a soup:
    http://www.jackbuck.co.uk/celeriac_recipe9.htm The site also had some other celeriac recipes.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    exlibris wrote:
    I do the same. And I also freeze curry sauce. I've never had a problem. As you say, the stock is thoroughly boiled when making the soup so I've never worried about it. I'm not going to start worrying now either

Thanks Squeaky I am glad the fount of all knowledge agrees with me. I won't worry either
    LOL :)

That's my own opinion not a quote from some authoritative website - so it's only as safe as I am :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tootles_2
    Options
    You do not need a slow cooker to make leek and lentil soup, just use a large saucepan on a low light and stir occasionally to stop the lentils from burning on the bottom, will take about an hour on a low light on the hotplate. You can also make it in pressure cooker, cook for about 15 minutes on high, if the lentils stick to the bottom, just turn the heat off and leave for 15 minutes then stir, the gunk at the bottom will then stir off.

Total so far £14.00!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills