NPOWER SCAMS featured on WATCHDOG 10/03/08, Email watchdog with complaints

Options
1234568»

Comments

• RM5_2
    RM5_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    For more information regarding the nPower gas sculpting scam, see this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=822299
  • ryuhiko
    ryuhiko Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Ok. I work for a company that represents Npower and all the bad press they seem to be getting is rediculous. They have an award for the BEST customer service of all the energy companies (admittedly being best of the energy companies isn't saying much). Npower got bought out a few years ago and had a lot to fix. Npower has the best fixed rate, best discount, never has standing charges and provides a no tie in. Before complaining about Npower, look at the other companies. BG especially charges you £65 for coming off of thier fixed rate. Npower raised thier prices and all of you were going "oh, that's outragous" then a couple of months late every other company raises thier prices by twice as much and that's fine? Stop being so hypocritical. I wouldn't be working for them if Npower wasn't the best in the market. I will answer questions people have in regard to working out rate etc. I will also point out to NEVER buy over the phone and when a door to door salesman comes ask him to present his energy sure badge (energy sure being the national database of credited energy suppliers). That badge means anything he tells you has to be true to the best of his knowledge. Funnily enough, the guy for which this website is made, said we were the best and yet your posting on the site saying how bad Npower is? I know, it's a terrible scam to actually charge you for what you use. You'll also find that 90% of BG, Scottish, Southern, Atlantic and EDF customers have yet to be informed of thier price rises, some of which are already being charged at a higher rate. BG is by far the worst at the moment. Until recently Npower and EON (powergen) were both competing for the best prices however EON has recently raised thier prices and Npower will not until July. I will also point out that unlike other companies, Npower has actually brought in even stricter regulations in regard to sales, unlike BG who are signing up those that can't speak English or struggle to understand what is going on, Npower ensure that they have things explained and then DO NOT sign them over as they are unable to comprehend. Again, I will answer questions about the exact practices allowed and how to work out your bills.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ryuhiko wrote: »
    Ok. I work for a company that represents Npower and all the bad press they seem to be getting is rediculous. They have an award for the BEST customer service of all the energy companies (admittedly being best of the energy companies isn't saying much). Npower got bought out a few years ago and had a lot to fix. Npower has the best fixed rate, best discount, never has standing charges and provides a no tie in. Before complaining about Npower, look at the other companies. BG especially charges you £65 for coming off of thier fixed rate. Npower raised thier prices and all of you were going "oh, that's outragous" then a couple of months late every other company raises thier prices by twice as much and that's fine? Stop being so hypocritical. I wouldn't be working for them if Npower wasn't the best in the market. I will answer questions people have in regard to working out rate etc. I will also point out to NEVER buy over the phone and when a door to door salesman comes ask him to present his energy sure badge (energy sure being the national database of credited energy suppliers). That badge means anything he tells you has to be true to the best of his knowledge. Funnily enough, the guy for which this website is made, said we were the best and yet your posting on the site saying how bad Npower is? I know, it's a terrible scam to actually charge you for what you use. You'll also find that 90% of BG, Scottish, Southern, Atlantic and EDF customers have yet to be informed of thier price rises, some of which are already being charged at a higher rate. BG is by far the worst at the moment. Until recently Npower and EON (powergen) were both competing for the best prices however EON has recently raised thier prices and Npower will not until July. I will also point out that unlike other companies, Npower has actually brought in even stricter regulations in regard to sales, unlike BG who are signing up those that can't speak English or struggle to understand what is going on, Npower ensure that they have things explained and then DO NOT sign them over as they are unable to comprehend. Again, I will answer questions about the exact practices allowed and how to work out your bills.
    You can answer one question that will satisfy a lot of people.

Why is it that npower state in T&C's that they willcharge 4572 units per year at the higher rate, but in practice have charged all customers a much higher figure than that. In my case the year ending Dec 2007 had 5905 units charged at the high rate which is approximately an overcharge of £30+.

If you look at the "gas sculpting" thread you will see the size of the scam.

Just noticed, are you saying that npower are raising prices in July?
  • c0113tt3
    c0113tt3 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    to ryuhiko,

no disrespect m8, but you are blind !!

All the facts have been presented to the public (for those who persisted enough) about npower, the public are outraged, the information has been sent to energy watch, they asked npower to stop said practices as they did not accept them as fair practices, npower refused. energy watch have then submitted it to ofgem, who again may not agree / agree with such practices (although from my conversations with ofgem was more to they dont agree), but at least are investigating it thoroughly and accumulating evidence and then will come to a decision.

and how the hell can anyone defend a tariff year !!! which began dec 06, then may 07 , then nov 07, then again jan 08, and then would be again in july 08 !! (if they increase the price), all documentation and terms and conditions refers to 4572 max a year, not a tariff year which is what npower practises, which equates to max of 4572 per few to several months, which ultimately can happen a few times in a real year. also any comparison sites will compare energy companies and npower based on 4572 per real year, which of course isnt the case, and is an unfair and misleading practice against consumers and false comparisons / practices against other energy companies. i.e. they may appear cheaper than some, but in reality with tariff years they are not cheaper. Also due to this fact with a tariff year you do pay more than 4572 per real year can not be interpreted into comparison sites, and thus gives npower an unfair advantage by appearing cheaper, when it actually is not in practice.

as for eon, my father in law is disgusted at his npower bill for the quarter, as his mum used 1000 kwh gas more than himself and his bill was £7 more expensive than his mums who had used 1000 kwh more!!. go figure....

also every bit of info in this thread and the other is 100 percent factual, as several of us have investigated thoroughly and have it in writing from npower.

also i have proven the fact at an executive level that i have been over charged, and they didnt compensate me with lower tier 2 units, yet they chose to not refund it as with many others. again go figure. npower also admit this over charge !!

btw, you state npower is best for customer service recognition, lmao, that actually is with southern !!

you also state that door to door sales man with a badge, are truthful to the best of their knowledge, lmao that fact has already been proven by energy watch, that quite a lot who are widespread throughout the country say anything to get you to switch. oh, didnt npower state 2 weeks prior to this that, it was only an isolated incident and was dealt with, then 2 weeks later, its found to be widespread as reported on bbc news with energy watch present.

also for a bit of general info, npower were spanked by the asa in oct 07 for the statements made against british gas in april 07, cheaper "still".

as for your offer to work out bills, hmm i hope you have the time to write 3 sides of a4 typed calculations, we already have them !!

you also state npower and the company that took them over had a lot of problems to fix, yeah 2 billing systems, to converge them, and npower admit they over charged us during may 07 to oct 07 (in writing from them to converge and been overcharged) and to compensate they lowered tier 2 charges, which of course did not compensate at all.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    GLEKA wrote: »
    try www.complaintcommunity.com for NPower complaints.

Let me know how you get on with it. :cool:

Whats wrong with Energywatch ?

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/help_and_advice/how_we_can_help/how_to_complain/index.asp
  • colonelhall
    colonelhall Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Right on, c0113tt3 !

I've been checking and contributing to the "gas sculpting" thread for some time now, but I cannot seem to access it.

The last information that I had was that The Times were going to look into the matter. The facts are clear. You don't even need to check your bills. Just get Npower's document that shows how they calculate their bills and you will see that they charged 138% of the contracted 4572 during 2007.

I want my money back!
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    GLEKA wrote: »
    try www.complaintcommunity.com for NPower complaints.

Let me know how you get on with it. :cool:

Try spamming everywhere and let me know how you get on with it?
  • c0113tt3
    c0113tt3 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    With thanks to DirectDebacle:
    in the npower gas sculpting thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=822299

npower in the news http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3994954.ece

and here http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3992766.ece

and here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3994897.ece

THE TIMES NEWSPAPER 24/05/08

Regulator investigates £50m gas overcharging claims against npower
    Mark Atherton

Millions of consumers may have been overcharged by at least £25 on their gas bills by one of the biggest energy companies, The Times has learnt.

Ofgem, the energy regulator, is investigating claims that up to 2.2 million customers of npower may have been billed too much for gas usage. Energywatch, the energy watchdog, believes that excess charges could total more than £50 million.

The problem has come to light after readers of The Times uncovered apparent flaws in npower’s billing systems and alerted the watchdog, which referred the matter to Ofgem.

Energywatch is urging all npower’s gas customers to check their bills for the past 12 months. A spokesman said: “We think up to 2.2 million npower customers could have suffered from the same problem that Times readers have identified. If we are proved correct we want to know what the company will be doing to compensate those who have lost out.”
    Related Links

The problem centres on how many units of gas npower is entitled to charge customers each year at the higher of its two rates. In literature and on its website, the company states that the higher charge applies to a maximum of 4,572 units per annum — after which customers pay at a lower rate.

However, the company claims this figure refers to a “tariff year”, not a calendar year. In 2007, npower’s “tariff year” lasted only seven months — from April to November, when the tariff was altered — meaning that many customers ended up paying significantly more than 4,572 units at the higher rate over the course of the year.

Consumers are already facing sharply higher energy costs. Since January 2006 the average annual household energy bill has risen from £735 to £1,048, according to uSwitch, the price-comparison website. The increase for npower customers has been even steeper, from £671 to £1,056.

Since the start of 2006 npower’s gas customers have suffered no fewer than four price increases. In January 2006 npower put up prices by 13.7 per cent, and followed this up with further rises of 15 per cent in March and 17.2 per cent in October.

There was a 16 per cent cut in 2007 but this was more than wiped out by a further 17.2 per cent rise in January 2008. A typical npower gas customer now faces an annual bill of £631, compared with £466 at the start of 2006.

Domestic energy bills could rise by a further 25 per cent this year as the wholesale cost of gas surges higher.

MPs on the Business and Enterprise Select Committee have been investigating competition in the UK power market. On Tuesday, in evidence to the committee, Allan Asher, the chief executive of Energywatch, accused the big six energy suppliers of being bloated, inefficient, and leaving consumers to “get it in the neck”.

The allegation of overcharging also follows accusations against npower of mis-selling. This month, it dismissed six employees after revelations that its door-to-door sales staff were lying to customers to gain new business.

The customers who approached The Times to complain of being overcharged say that a year should mean a year. David White, 67, of Maidenhead, Berkshire, said: “My contract, which I took out in January 2007, stated I would be charged 4,572 units a year at the higher price and the rest at the lower rate. But after 11 months I had been charged 5,939 units at the higher rate, meaning that I was overcharged by £41.

Andrew Beck, of Teignmouth, Devon, said that he had decided to take legal action against the company. Mr Beck, 55, said: “I have filed papers with my local court alleging breach of contract by npower. In the 12 months to April 2008 I was charged in excess of 6,500 units at the higher rate, resulting in an estimated overcharge of £120. I suspect that many of npower’s customers will have suffered from the same problem. If each annual bill was just £50 too high and npower had two million gas customers, that would be a total overcharge of £100 million.”

An npower spokesman said: “What we promise is that we won’t charge gas customers more than 4,572 units at the higher rate in a tariff year, which is not always the same as a calendar year. In our short tariff year of seven months from April to November 2007 we didn’t charge anyone more than 4,572 units at the higher price, but over a full 12 months, we did.

“This was a one-off situation — between April and November 2007 we changed our normal billing method as we brought different sets of customers on to one system. We suspended our seasonal weighting, which charges more units at the higher rate in the winter and fewer in the summer. This resulted in a number of people being charged more than 4,572 units at the higher rate in the year April 2007 to April 2008 but they should take into account that we reduced our gas prices by 20 per cent in April 2007.”

An Ofgem spokesman said: “We are asking npower questions relating to suspected inaccurate billing.” If Ofgem found that npower had breached the terms of its supply licence it could impose a fine of up to 10 per cent of the relevant subsidiary’s turnover and require it to amend its behaviour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure