NPOWER SCAMS featured on WATCHDOG 10/03/08, Email watchdog with complaints

Options

Comments

• c0113tt3
    c0113tt3 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    Right here it is confirmed from an executive level, and what causes myself to pay more tier 1 than 4572 kwh per year as per contract.

Depending on what billing system you are on (there are 2), the sculpting is put on and then off, then might be changed and put back on again. For example on the billing system I am on the gas sculpting went like, Nov 06 stopped, Dec 06 started, April 07 stopped, and then Dec 07 started.

EVERYTIME the sculpting changes IT RESETS the amount of tier 1 paid to ZERO !!
    This is what causes myself to pay more tier 1 than 4572 kwh a year as per contract, and in fact this worked out to be 800 kwh more at tier 1, others have been less fortunate as per other gas sculpting thread, some have paid 2500 kwh tier 1 more than they should. The billing system is not at fault in any way, the bills are correct as per their sculpting. When asked, why have they not informed myself of the impact on tier 1 units paid or about previous gas sculpting periods, the reply was they only have to inform me of price changes / rises, the gas sculpt on / off and the higher number of tier 1 paid does not constitute a price change / rise. Obviously for myself it does constitute more money paid unjustly, as I am contracted to 4572 kwh tier 1, but to them it does not constitute anything.

So thats the explanation I recieved, and in my view its the biggest scam i have ever known and I can pay any amount above 4572 kwh tier 1 anytime they wish to change the gas sculpt without even notifying me. They did say they have no plans over the next 12 months to change the sculpting, so hopefully it may result in being just 4572 tier 1 paid, but, if they change their mind, they dont inform me about it anyway, and will result in more tier 1 paid than I should.
  • epsilondraconis
    epsilondraconis Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    That's shocking. I'm an NPower customer too and so will be checking my bills. However, based upon your response c0113tt3 I'm wondering what on earth I can do about it (assuming the rogues have conned me too).

Grrr!!!
  • c0113tt3
    Options
    The only thing that can be done, is enough people complaining to energy watch / ofgem in hope they do something about it.
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We secured our switch to Eon from Npower recently and have just received our final NPower Bill - it's absolutely incredible!! They've charged us £214.58 for the period 04/01/08 to 26/03/08 so less than three months worth!!
    We hvnt looked closely at how they got this figure as yet as we are still in a state of shock. I hope it's a mistake but I fear that it's probably a result of their new tariff fix and the fact that we are leaving during the peak winter period? :mad:
    It's an absolute disgrace so we will be investigating for sure and if necessary taking it to BBC Watchdog and/or ombudsman....
    Incidently, they also sent us a very patronising letter along with this bill to say "We are really sorry your leaving us" and "We really enjoyed having you as our customer...." blah blah blah
    Also, apparently thousands of customers choose to come back to them every week as they "realise what thay could be missing out on" That's got to be a joke hasn't it? :confused:

John
  • JohnG
    Options
    And another thing.....
    We've got to pay by 9th April 2008 - a week!? :mad:

At least they can't cut us off.

John
  • JohnG
    Options
    Have just called Npower Customer services (7.30pm) and by the third dept I had to speak to, they conveniently tell me their system was down (Oh what a surprise - Not). They will call back by the end of the week but there is no guarantees. We will however be able to delay payment in view of the "Outage" hmmm.
    One bloke (second dept) seemed to think the figure was probaly correct (prior to the system outage) based on our reading that we supplied thru Eon so doesnt seem like it will be a mistake - just daylight robbery by the looks of it!

Will have to lie down now before my blood pressure gets any worse.

John
  • c0113tt3
    Options
    Anyway just wanted to further add to my post above, and copied below.

The price rises have no effect on the sculpting. The only thing that effects how many tier 1 units you over pay is if they change it (gas sculpting), turn it off, turn it back on at a whim, if they should wish so, without having the need to notify anyone. As for any documentation that was sent out to the public in regard to the gas sculpting nov 07, and price rises jan 08, both of those state blah no need to worry, you will only pay upto 4572 kwh tier 1 regardless, which is kind of false, because they can switch it off, change it, put it back on when they like without informing which resets it to zero !!! So you start a fresh again. The result is you never should pay more than 4572 kwh tier 1 per every gas sculpt being enabled and left for 12 months, but they have proven to not leave it alone, hence you pay more than 4572 in total, but per new / changed gas sculpt you pay a max of 4572.

For every tier 1 kwh that is scammed out of us / me costs approx 4 pence. So far this scam has cost me a total of 1000 kwh over payment on tier 1, which equates to approx £40 scammed out of me. Some people have posted they have paid an extra 2500 kwh at tier 1 over the 4572 in a year, which equates to approx £100 scammed. They have several million customers on gas, work it out... Npower say it is completely correct and in order to over pay tier 1 due to the gas sculpting system being stopped / started / changed at different periods and being reset to 0. Complain like hell to watchdog, energy watch, and ofgem !!!

Right here it is confirmed from an executive level, and what causes myself to pay more tier 1 than 4572 kwh per year as per contract.

Depending on what billing system you are on (there are 2), the sculpting is put on and then off, then might be changed and put back on again. For example on the billing system I am on the gas sculpting went like, Nov 06 stopped, Dec 06 started, April 07 stopped, and then Dec 07 started.

EVERYTIME the sculpting changes IT RESETS the amount of tier 1 paid to ZERO !!
    This is what causes myself to pay more tier 1 than 4572 kwh a year as per contract, and in fact this worked out to be 800 kwh more at tier 1, others have been less fortunate as per other gas sculpting thread, some have paid 2500 kwh tier 1 more than they should. The billing system is not at fault in any way, the bills are correct as per their sculpting. When asked, why have they not informed myself of the impact on tier 1 units paid or about previous gas sculpting periods, the reply was they only have to inform me of price changes / rises, the gas sculpt on / off and the higher number of tier 1 paid does not constitute a price change / rise. Obviously for myself it does constitute more money paid unjustly, as I am contracted to 4572 kwh tier 1, but to them it does not constitute anything.

So thats the explanation I recieved, and in my view its the biggest scam i have ever known and I can pay any amount above 4572 kwh tier 1 anytime they wish to change the gas sculpt without even notifying me. They did say they have no plans over the next 12 months to change the sculpting, so hopefully it may result in being just 4572 tier 1 paid, but, if they change their mind, they dont inform me about it anyway, and will result in more tier 1 paid than I should.
  • JohnG
    Options
    Having looked more closely at our bill it seems we will probably just have to grin and bare it as we can't see where there might be a mistake - it's seems it's likely to be a combination of a slightly higher usage, on a much higher tariff, over a slightly longer period than the usual quarter (As it's a final bill).

Comparing it to last years corresponding quarter the cost it was £136.49 based on 41 kwh per day over 92 days.
    This lastest final bill is £214.58 based on 44.57 kwh per day over 101 days.

Apart from it looking a lot of money to pay, it was totally unexpected as we/I naively thought, because we were already paying their new higher monthly premium (£34 per month),it would cover most if not all the recent usage.

Of course, in fact the £34 monthly premiums is the average spread over the year and so this last quarter would obviously have the highest usage.

Even so, it is still a shock to the system but thankfully we should be able to cover it, mainly because our mortgage is relatively small but I honestly fear for anyone who is already struggling to make ends meet as monthly costs such as these are truly going through the roof.....:eek:

John - Slightly calmer now but still smarting somewhat.
  • colonelhall
    colonelhall Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    I have made many posts on another forum, but find myself here because I am trying to spread the word about Npower's practices. I am writing in frustration, because in spite of phoning everyday for the last week, I have not had the call-back that I have been promised.

Everybody should check the number of tier 1 units ( higher rate ) that they are charged. It is supposed to be 4572, but this figure is shared out unevenly through the year: From reading these posts, I think that this is the percentage each month for 2007 and 2008:
    2007 2008
    13.80 19.30
    13.60 19.30
    12.20 5.94
    12.20 5.93
    8.33 1.00
    8.33 1.00
    8.33 1.00
    8.33 1.00
    8.33 1.00
    8.33 5.93
    19.30 19.30
    19.30 19.30
    Total%
    140.40 100.00

As you can see, they changed the system for six months during the Summer of 2007 resulting in a yearly total of 140% of 4572, which is 6400 units.

Each time they change the system, the year starts afresh. If these figures are correct, it would explain my annual summary , starting in February totalling 6,800 tier-one units.

Energywatch seems to think that they can do this. If so, what is to stop them changing the system during the 1% months? If you read this and can dispute my findings, please let me know. If not, please shout from the highest rooftop. People must know what is happening.
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Colonel, I thin the other poster needs to send that letter they have to Ofgem. I can't see how this would legal as they could change it constantly as they say.

The letter concerning the tariff year is incorrect anyway as they have never reset it in their previous elec systems.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure