Tuna
    Ketchup
    Cheese
    Tomatoes in season
    Honey

Bad
    Tomatoes out of season

I'm excited to try the rice pudding!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Patr100 wrote: »
    Tried their Basics Meatballs in tomato sauce.
    Not recommended - hardly any sauce - you could add your own but I would have thought that would have been a cheap filler.

Well four years later (!) I just today accidentally bought another tin of their meatballs, it was hidden among the baked beans which is what I intended to buy.
    Anyway , there seemed to be plenty of sauce with them now. Although not very thick. Not something I buy normally but not as bad as they could have been, As I said before, maybe a cheap filler with or without extras, if you normally like that sort of thing.
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsbury's Basics frozen New Zealand lamb chops - not fed on GM feed, grass-pastured and tasty. I'd say better for lamb stew type meal than grilled lamb chops though.
  • samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2014 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Sainsbury's Basics frozen New Zealand lamb chops - not fed on GM feed, grass-pastured and tasty. I'd say better for lamb stew type meal than grilled lamb chops though.

Took the words out of my mouth there Edwardia. I make them into a curry which feeds four or more for a fiver.

The frozen fish (Pollack at the moment) @ £1.68 is good. I fry it in homemade batter but don't try that without this: once defrosted the fillets will start to separate - it's the way they are cut - simply slice the fillets into three pieces - two long ones and a smaller but thicker piece. If you try frying them whole you will end up with a mess.
  • JamesCR
    JamesCR Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    The 22p pittas are excellent to use as pizza bases for a very quick snack. It isn't basic but the Sainsburys 90p pizza topping is brilliant.

The 33p milk and dark chocolate are both very good.

Finally, the 50p tomato pasta sauce is fantastic. To think I have been paying £3 for two jars of Dolmio for so long is really bad. It just proves if you can leave your snobbery at the door you can find some real bargains.
  • cambridge5000
    Options
    I wasn't so impressed with the vegetable soup, even at a low 24p. The soup was watery, and the veg was hard and dry.

I think I would sooner wait until regular own brand are on offer at 2 for a £1 and stock up that way. The salt content is lower, the veg content is higher. Also you can have a wider range of flavours.

The basics wasn't BAD, and maybe could be thickened if you had time, or could fling in some leftover veg - but cost vs. effort comes into play here for me :)
  • Summer69
    Options
    Glad to see this thread :) Have just started to switch to Sainsburys basics so I will be having a good read through the posts here.

I don't think I have seen some of the basics you have listed in my local store though or maybe I have not been looking closely enough!

So far I have only switched to basics fruit and veg items and no issues so far. They have recently (in my store anyway) started doing basics mushrooms. A big punnet for 99p. As a mushroom fan this pleased me no end!

Has anyone tried the basics ready cooked chicken chunks?
  • sillyme673
    Options
    Use cooked chicken for my DD packed lunches and no complaints, and she is fussy. I love the teabags, drink my tea black , very nice and coffee. I have lovely jar already.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • bagpussbear
    Options
    We like the Basics Lasagne which is 75p (each pack serves 1 person)

It's fairly nice and we have some chips and salad or garlic bread with it.

Never had any 'bad' beef like gristle in it, and it's only around 279 calories which is good for those calorie counting like me.
  • Summer69
    Options
    sillyme673 wrote: »
    Use cooked chicken for my DD packed lunches and no complaints, and she is fussy. I love the teabags, drink my tea black , very nice and coffee. I have lovely jar already.

Ah fab thank you. Will give that a try next time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure