Sainsbury's Basics good/bad items

Options

Comments

• Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have to agree that the Basics bag of frozen chicken pieces are amazing. i always peep in the bag to make sure there aren't too many legs in there. I prefer the thighs. The last bag I bought had huge thighs in it.
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone....I am fairly to new budget shopping and have started shopping in Aldi but have of course bought Sainsburys Basics which I like.
    Sooo.....are we saying that SB is all round better value than Aldi and Lidl?
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • dasophster
    Options
    Not food items but the disinfectant 30p and stretch bandage 28p are great. Disinfectant has much nicer pine fragrance than dettol and is just as good. The bandage is great for when the kids have sprained ankles/wrists etc and they are like proper hospital bandages. xx
  • dasophster
    Options
    Bublin1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone....I am fairly to new budget shopping and have started shopping in Aldi but have of course bought Sainsburys Basics which I like.
    Sooo.....are we saying that SB is all round better value than Aldi and Lidl?

In my opinion yes the quality is better and prices similar xx
  • spammy29
    spammy29 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    My husband went to buy some Basics noodles from Sainsburys today and was told that they have been discontinued, the next cheapest noodles being 74p! I loved the Basics noodles despite the price creeping up, they were great for a quick snack at work and for hungry teenagers. Why have they done this? Or is it part of a trend by all the supermarkets to get rid of the cheapest lines that some of us really depend on?
  • dasophster
    dasophster Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    There have been quite a few basics items over the years that have been discontinued, sometimes for up to 2 years and they have then suddenly reappeared again. Hopefully that is the case here. It could be a supply issue perhaps they just cannot source that product cheaply enough for the time being? I have also noticed that any new items in the range tend to be geared towards healthy eating and cooking from scratch as opposed to convenience or junk foods. Xx
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    value carrots bought yesterday a load of rubbish - all wet inside the bag and half of them were either tiny pieces or had black mouldy bits!! well in date too, now if they had been 10p it might have been a different story!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Had their basics scotch egg yesterday for lunch and it quite tasty! It's not the perfect round shape. Intact I think you get more for your money!

Their mini egg bites 12 for 83p are good as well.
  • dasophster
    dasophster Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Dared to try the basics cola as was flat out broke this week. I normally avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague but don't mind sucralose (in moderation) which is what this cola has. Have to say wasn't as bad as I thought, for a start the cola flavouring in the basics cola is exactly the same as that in the regular own brand Sainsbury's cola (not the classic one), same strength too, the only negative is it has a slightly bicarb-y aftertaste but it's not terrible and certainly tastes better than real diet coke IMHO! Xx
  • lovingtescoforever
    Options
    spammy29 wrote: »
    My husband went to buy some Basics noodles from Sainsburys today and was told that they have been discontinued, the next cheapest noodles being 74p! I loved the Basics noodles despite the price creeping up, they were great for a quick snack at work and for hungry teenagers. Why have they done this? Or is it part of a trend by all the supermarkets to get rid of the cheapest lines that some of us really depend on?

Issue with the product the last time I remember seeing a sign displaying that. So might be back! Worth emailing Sainsburys or contacting them on facebook with a query if you have time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure