Ebay Challenge for March

Comments

• Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi PandaPaws. Thanks for your post, it will help alot. How do you get proof of posting from the post office without recorded delivery?
    Just ask for it, they either fill in a form (which you can ask for a stash of) or they write it on the receipt when you pay.

It just proof that you posted it, from where and when.
  • Welshlassie
    Regarding Recorded delivery and Paypal, not trying to scare anyone, but if the buyer says they haven't received an item and claim from you through Paypal, they will find in favour of the buyer and refund them from your account if you can not prove that the item was delivered, eg Recorded Delivery slip.

I have been caught out by this twice in the last month and will now be sending everything however small recorded delivery. These are the first times I've been done in the 5 years I have been selling on ebay, but it has shaken me.
  • Thats good to know about the delivery. Never happened to me before but I will take note and do that to everything in the future!!

Also, do you have any advice on length of Auction??? I normally do it for 10 days but is 7 just as good? If anyone has any ideas please let me know ;)
    Debts at LBM -November 2006 - £81,582.34 :eek:
    Debts Current - £24,000.00
    DFD - Was January 2015, Then - January 2014
    DFD - Now - October 2013 :D
    Proud To Be Dealing With Our Debts :beer:
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    I usually go for 10 days, just because it gives people more of a chance to see and bid up your item but I don't think it makes a huge difference. I used to try and end items on a Sunday as that's when most people are on Ebay, but I think most sellers have cottoned onto that, so I go for midweek evenings instead now.

Welshlassie - very true about the recorded delivery and Paypal - I should have said that. However I've never had a Paypal claim against me as if anyone says they haven't received, then I just refund and claim from Royal Mail so there's no need for a dispute to be opened. I also found in the past that things were more likely to go missing if sent recorded, as they can't just be shoved through the letterbox, so they're at the mercy of the non-card-leaving postie and the pile of junk in the sorting office! When you're sending low value items, it's often worth making the claim yourself anyway as you can claim £34 from the proof of posting (provided obviously your item was worth that! ;) - wouldn't want to rip off Royal Mail!), while refunding the buyer just the amount that they paid.

Another slight thing is that if the address the buyer has given isn't the one their credit card is registered to, and you've sent it to the therefore unverified address, then Paypal blame you for sending it to the wrong address, even though you didn't have any choice! You can't win with Paypal, so I'd say best never to get involved in anything like that - just refund the buyer, claim from the PO and chalk it up to experience!
  • lots of questions about selling on ebay, is everyone aware of a sub board dedicated to ebay on this forum? might be worth checking that out as im sure it has loads of great information
    :j Debt-Free-Wannabe! :j
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
  • Welshlassie
    lots of questions about selling on ebay, is everyone aware of a sub board dedicated to ebay on this forum? might be worth checking that out as im sure it has loads of great information

Yeap http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=40

Here it is!!
  • Count me in please - have a brownies uniform to sell, did have a massive bag of shoes/boots but OH threw them out!:mad: Sure I can find more things as well. If I make £50 in march then I will be one happy bunny :EasterBun Good luck everyone.
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    I shall have a go, will aim for £100 :) Just remind me, cos I cant fit any more text in my sig :(
  • LilDevil
    LilDevil Posts: 684 Forumite
    I've been caught out recently too, from now on it's recorded or special delivery - if anyone wants 1st/2nd, then they can ask and I will tell them that it is at buyers risk (I send everything through work, so can't get proof of postage unless it is RD/SD).

Anyway, can I join this as well, got a load finishing on Sunday, which I'm hoping to get about £100 from (hopefully more, but depends on the market!).
  • LilDevil
    LilDevil Posts: 684 Forumite
    Should also add that I have loads of stuff to sell, so hoping to make about £250 (at least) in total!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure