PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use Northwood Lettings

Options

Comments

• theartfullodger
    Options

The Guaranteed Rent scheme takes over 35% of the rent earned on the property ....................

Blimey!

And I suggest you check the paperwork as last time I communicated with these wonderful people they confirmed to me that the guarantee is only from that particular franchise and not from the group as a whole. If you search companies house you'll find quite a few have closed down.
  • johnjoesmith73
    Options
    Yep, I know this. Each shop has its own agreements set in place, which I've been through with a fine toothcomb but it's only 13 pages long and doesn't cover too much. So I was hoping for some advice regarding laws they have to abide by that aren't openly declared.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Don't do these guaranteed rent schemes/scams
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if anyone could offer a little advice?

I've been using Northwood Guaranteed Rent for over 5 years now but the 12 months contract I had with them has spilt into the 2-month rolling contract they offer for the last couple of years now.

They recently got in touch to say that the tenant they have in is being very unresponsive with them and hasn't kept the upkeep to the garden. The lean-to conservatory also shows signs of age and wood rot, so I've said I'm happy to sort a UPVC refurb as this was something I knew would need doing sooner or later anyway.

They've since said I need to serve 2 months notice to the tenant as she's being unaccommodating and would need to evict her before I would be able to get this work done. They've also said my payments would be suspended until the work was finished and the property tenanted again.

The Guaranteed Rent scheme takes over 35% of the rent earned on the property so I would have thought I'd be covered in such circumstances. Does anyone know what my rights are in this situation?!? Any advice with regards to this particular scheme would be very gratefully received!

I thought that with this guaranteed rent scheme Northwood were your tenant and they then sublet the property. Is that not the case?

Does your contract with Northwood say anything about the circumstances in which they can suspend your payments? I also don't understand why the (sub)tenant needs to be removed before the repairs can be carried out. Have Northwood given a reason?
  • johnjoesmith73
    Options
    That's correct, they are considered the tenant and the actual tenant, a sub-tenant.

The only policy wording I could find about them suspending payment was if the property was considered uninhabitable. The reasons they have given is that they have had trouble with the sub-tenant responding to them for inspection and looking after the garden etc. The sub-tenant also has an anxious timid dog, which they have listed as a reason for her being unaccommodating around having this work done.

Also, due to the tired condition of the conservatory, they would have problems renting the property out until sorted as it's very much an eye-sore at the moment. I've also learnt recently that she in some arrears with them (which doesn't affect my guaranteed rent), so I think this is another reason why they want her evicted.

I personally have no issues with the sub-tenant and have no intention of serving notice (especially over the festive season)! But this work will need to be carried out quite soon, so I could really do with knowing what my rights are in this kind of situation?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The sub tenant is not your tenant so I don't think you can evict her. It's down to Northwood to evict her as she is their tenant. What kind of tenancy do you have with Northwood, I know it won't be an AST?
  • johnjoesmith73
    Options
    That's worrying as the new person I'm dealing with at Northwood has asked that I serve notice, as I think this is their "get out of jail" card. Meaning I pay all bills etc. until the property is attractive for new tenants and they take back over soon as it's ready to rent again.

To the best of my knowledge, it is considered an AST, but that's between myself and Northwood who act as my tenant.
  • johnjoesmith73
    Options
    Here's a quote from the Northwood's FAQ's website page:

"We effectively become your tenant, guaranteeing you a fixed rental income and then sub-let the property on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). You will continue to receive the agreed rent regardless of whether the property is empty or the tenant stops paying rent, unless rendered uninhabitable. As such, it is in our interests to find the best possible tenant. We will even deal with damages at the end of the tenancy, subject to a maximum value equivalent to 6 weeks rent. Additionally, our in house legal team will deal with any breaches of the AST at no cost to you."
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Here's a quote from the Northwood's FAQ's website page:

"We effectively become your tenant, guaranteeing you a fixed rental income and then sub-let the property on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). You will continue to receive the agreed rent regardless of whether the property is empty or the tenant stops paying rent, unless rendered uninhabitable. As such, it is in our interests to find the best possible tenant. We will even deal with damages at the end of the tenancy, subject to a maximum value equivalent to 6 weeks rent. Additionally, our in house legal team will deal with any breaches of the AST at no cost to you."

Aye, and some people believe in unicorns also..

And the "we" here is almost certainly that office..only, not the group. So if that office goes bust you're stuffed...
  • Jockandaj
    Jockandaj Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 May 2020 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Not at all impressed with the service or the guaranteed rent scheme. Regardless of the state Northwood (the tenant) hands you back your property in, the maximum damages they will pay you is £1300 (as per the small print).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure