PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use Northwood Lettings

Options

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In 2009 we rented our house out through the Wrexham branch and the tenant stayed for eighteen months. During this time Northwood did only two maintenance checks and although they found faults and said that the tenants had been told to do something about them - mainly the garden, nothing was ever done.
    When we signed a new agreement in June 2011 we said it would be the last time as we wished to sell the house in 1012. When the tenant heard of this they moved out in Oct.2011 leaving a further 6 months left on the agreement. Northwood found a tenant [single mother with two young children] for six months, but told her it would be long term. In May 2012 they told her she would have to leave. She had nowhere to live and when she did not vacate they took her to court and applied for an eviction notice, at a cost of £175. She did not go at the alloted time so they took her to court again at a cost of a further £175. They told us that it had cost them {Northwood} £1,000. We have since discovered that they kept the tenant's deposit of £525, telling her it was to cover the court costs. This meant that since the tenant then had no deposit for any other rental accommodation she was left destitute with two children. We were both victims of Northwood, and we wouldn't trust them with a Dolls' House.
    There is a lot of damage and the garden is a wreck, much of it was done before the last tenant moved in, though some vandalism occurred whist a friend of hers was staying in the property. Northwood have offered us £50 towards repairs, which have cost us over £200 already an still more to add.
    We are following the complaints procedure as stated on their Website. We have written to the Wrexham branch but did not receive any reply. We have now written to the Complaints Officer, Northwood in Fareham if we don't get satisfaction we will be contacting the Obudsman. We have photographs and all the necessary documentation.
    We are determined notto let them get away with this.

Welcome! :) Are Northwood just your agents and you are the landlord? If so you are legally responsible for properly lodging and returning the tenants deposit. If Northwood were your tenants take them to court for the damage caused by anyone they sublet to. Sorry but you seem to have a very poor grasp of the legislation and your rights and responsibilities as a landlord. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=41160642&postcount=12
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • which_witch
    Options
    Yes Northwood were our tenants and they sub letted the property to another tenant. They are saying that the internal damages were all caused by wear and tear and they don't seem to want to accept any responsibility for the garden and the shed door which was off it's hinges or the wrought iron garden gate which was also off it's hinges. The broken coping stones along the dwarf wall around the conservatory. They even claim that the broken conservatory window catch and the door stop in the sliding conservatory door was due to wear and tear. I have before and after pictures of the garden and it breaks our heart to look at it now. Twelve month ago they organised a gardener with whom we made a list of things to do. He said he would see to them but we never saw him again, they don't know what happened to him, but they never sent anyone else.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Northwood were our tenants and they sub letted the property to another tenant. They are saying that the internal damages were all caused by wear and tear and they don't seem to want to accept any responsibility for the garden and the shed door which was off it's hinges or the wrought iron garden gate which was also off it's hinges. The broken coping stones along the dwarf wall around the conservatory. They even claim that the broken conservatory window catch and the door stop in the sliding conservatory door was due to wear and tear. I have before and after pictures of the garden and it breaks our heart to look at it now. Twelve month ago they organised a gardener with whom we made a list of things to do. He said he would see to them but we never saw him again, they don't know what happened to him, but they never sent anyone else.

What deposit did you take from Northwood? Have you got a proper dual signed before and after inventory with dated photos, either done by an independent company or with newspapers in some of the images? If you have proof get quotes for repairing all the damage and take Northwood to the county court, small claims action. This is a business, don't be emotionally involved, don't let it break your heart, deal with this in a proactive professional manner. I don't really see what the ombudsman has to do with it.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Gonzo33
    Gonzo33 Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    I had my place on with the Southampton branch until early this year. They were rubbish at arranging maintenance (I lived overseas and was on the guaranteed income scheme) but other than that were ok.

When it came to sell my place, they were horrendous. If I am honest I would not touch them with a barge pole.
    Grab life by the balls before it grabs you by the neck.
  • detorres
    Options
    yes and i am not happy
  • detorres
    Options
    i agree the tenant north wood have put in to my property have trashed it can anyone tell me how i can get out of the agreement
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 February 2013 at 11:18AM
    Options
    Do you mean get out of the agreement with the tenant, or the agreement with Northwoods - or both?

You may be better re-posting as a new thread, giving much more information (not personal stuff about the tenant), things like date tenancy began, any deposit taken, when fixed term ends, what sort of damage etc. There are plenty of members who can help and advise you, but maybe not the best place to ask by tagging on the end of this old and longwinded thread!
  • beckyjayden
    Options
    The house i am living in was taken over by Northwood last year and i have had nothing but problems with them. They are terrible at sorting any maintenance issues, left me for 2 weeks over xmas with no heating or hot water with a small baby, took months to get a new boiler and am currently trying to get them to fix my cooker, again! Would not recommend them to anyone ever they are awful theyre communication skills are terrible and the manager is so rude.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Their advertising is IMHO fraudulent - "risk free" - and they have been reported to trading standards.

Wouldn't do business with these cowboys if you paid me.

Others may hold alternative views...

Cheers!
  • UnionGirl
    UnionGirl Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I posted about Northwood Aberdeen a couple of years ago.

As an update, the Property Ombudsman agreed with my complaint and Northwood had to pay in full (with a little bit extra) for the damage caused by tenants to my flat.

The only reason I got out of their 12 month contract 6 months early is because I became the proverbial pain in the butt to them. They had let my flat out to unsuitable tenants without gaining adequte references and then had the cheek to try and absolve themselves of paying for the damage caused by these tenants.

I notice there is 1 good review for Northwood Aberdeen here. However, I would recommend all landlords and tenants not to take the risk. You might (if you're lucky) receive a good service, on the other hand you might get treated like I was and have to fight to recover for damages caused by unsuitable tenants.
    As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback