PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use Northwood Lettings

Options
Has anyone had any dealings with Northwood Lettings? They are advertising heavily on the radio around here, Milton Keynes/Bedford (although they are all over England) as they do a guaranteed rental income scheme.

I recently signed up for this and have been bitterly disappointed with the reality. I have been mis-informed twice, they put me on the wrong scheme and then blamed my partner getting involved for the problems even though he has never spoken to him!

Just wondering if anyone else has had any good or bad experiences with them?

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bump

hubby having ..let's say 'issues' with them.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • pancreas
    pancreas Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Slow and in-efficient in my opinion!
  • fflsh
    fflsh Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also interested in any opinions as I'm about to look for a letting agent to let a house. It's actually the fact that they say they do guaranteed monthly income that puts me off, it gets me thinking there's a catch somewhere!
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They take your place on for 12 months but they have a get out clause at 9 months if the place is not rented or you refuse to sign a new term - you do not have any get out clause if you need / want out before 12 months you have to pay them.

They don't pay you for 6 weeks and then they pay by BACS so it's 2 to 3 days after you expect the money.

They will take your place on in December but be very careful as they consider something like 19th Dec to 10th Jan non marketable times and so don't pay for them.

I found that the details changed depending on who you spoke to and never did get a straight answer, even in writing, about who paid the bills if the property was empty, it finally worked out to be Northwood. I had only approached them as I wanted a stress free year and could cope with the low monthly rent in return for no hassle - what a idealist view that was!

Glad to be shot of them, only good thing was my place stayed empty the full 6 months they had it (yes I did get out early) so it was in excately the same condition when I got it back.

This business is franchised and so I'm sure it will vary countrywide. The idea is good and if you take your time get answers to your questions in writing (always go direct to the manager) I'm sure it can work - many other agents now do guaranteed schemes so the princple must work.

I would be interest to know others experiences and what other issues there are.
  • hellokitty08
    hellokitty08 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi, I used to work for a branch of this company. You can always take your complaints to the head office, I think you might be able to get their details on the website.

As for the guranteed income, that worked like this, the property to rent would take lets say £650 a month on the market, Northwood would offer you £500 a month guraenteed, so regardless of whether the property was empty or not you would always get £500 a month. (this is a rough estimate)

As far as i know lots of other companies that offer guarented rentals do so through insurance schemes, or thats how it used to be anyway, so everytime the property is empty you claim on an insurance policy.
    Debt free since July 2013! Woo hoo! The bank actually laughed when I said I have come in to cancel my overdraft.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    legal advice being sought!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Glaswegian
    Options
    At my wits end with these folk.

Tell lies on the phone. Staff are rude. Don't reply to phonecalls. Maintenance is diabolical.

There's no telephone number for head office. Have no idea how a company can get away with being so bad.
  • adg1
    adg1 Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    If northwood take the tenancy in their name they can put any tenant in there they like as you'd have no control at all. They could use it for office parties without you knowing at all!

Also, if they pay you a guaranteed rent as HelloKitty08 puts it above (seems to tie in with their website) they can offer you way below market value for a year of peace, get a tenant paying market value to them, take a hefty cut and hence cover the costs of most void periods as well as making a profit.

They are operating heavily in this area with colourful cars, signboards but don't have many 'Let By' boards up.

Most other agents that offer rent guarantees do so via an insurance policy they employ.
  • Veda
    Veda Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Northwood took 6 weeks to replace a cracked bath after I'd instructed them to proceed, so the tenant was without a bath all this time because it was leaking into the flat below. The quality of workmanship was appalling, they'd cracked the wall tiles, the sealant was a mess, the bath panel didn't fit, they even managed to crack the new bath! Then to cap it all, they re-used the old taps and these later seized up so the water had to be turned off at the mains. It took them a further 7 months to rectify this. Their excuse? Landlords want cheap jobs not quality. I was fumin'. That's why I sacked them.
  • TwistedPsycho
    Options
    WoW!

These guys sound like they should go into business with IRD Homes and Mr S Dhown!

Oh blast, I feel another retraction thread coming on.
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure