PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use Northwood Lettings

Options

Comments

• which_witch
    Options
    It has taken me almost twelve months of dealing with the ombudsman after the dreadful experience of letting my house through Northwood Wrexham. They are a totally incompetent company headed by a man who tells lies and makes false promises. My house was a ruin after two and a half years and they refused to accept any responsibility. They maintained they had done nothing wrong, whilst they had actually done NOTHING at all. Except take their fee every month. If you do have the misfortune to deal with them I strongly advise you to make sure you have every little last detail in writing, no matter how trivial it may seem. My only mistake was in trusting them and accepting their word. I was therefore unable to prove many things to the ombudsman which meant that he was unable to find in my favour.
  • I would not recommend Northwood Wrexham if they were the last letting agents in town. My property has not been looked after during the time I have entrusted them and literally anyone has been dumped in my house in desperate attempts to earn money. Ask for them to ring you and they'll hide. I'm just coming out of the guaranteed scheme and it looks like I'll have to engage legal advice to get them to pay up what they owe me. Someone needs to tell these people that a local business succeeds on a good reputation, but that's the problem they don't know what one is!
  • Laurence_WMF
    Options
    I was going to ask about Northwood, having received a leaflet through my door guaranteeing rent from them, even if the property is empty, if you (a landlord) use them as letting agents.

But I did a search for them on the MSE search facility first. It brought me here.

So reading this thread with a consensus that they are dire has been really helpful. Shows the value of this forum, and of doing a search before posting.

Thanks to MSE, this forum and all contributors to this thread.

Cheers,
    Laurence
  • which_witch
    Options
    I am well rid of them now, but I went through their complaints procedure finishing with the ombudsman. This involved a great deal of time in copy, ing and sending every e.mail that had passed between us and reporting every conversation we had had when they had said how they would look after things. The outcome was £150 awarded to me. The conclusion I came to was that I was too trusting and believed all they told me. My advise is if you are dealing with NORTHWOOD make sure you get everything they tell you in writing. Don't trust them.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Worth noting that they are franchises, so you can get good as well as bad. Make sure you read everything, make sure everything s in writing!
  • which_witch
    Options
    The NORTHWOOD agency I dealt with was in Wrexham just like the previous post from wrexhamresident.
  • Douglas_Small
    Options
    Won't go into too many details but as a tenant our experience with Northwood South Manchester (Sale) has been very poor from the start of the tenancy all the way through.

I would not recommend anyone using them as a tenant as they show absolutely no interest in tenants' issues or problems. Once the deal is done they just want the rent to roll in.
  • Bosco13
    Options
    I am currently renting my house out through north woods guaranteed rental scheme as I have gone overseas. Since the day tenants moved in my neighbours have been contacting to say they are awful and the house is being trashed! Funnily enough when north wood said they done an inspection they said the house is fine and there is no damage.

Can anyone give some advice as to when you contacted north wood to terminate the contract?! It says in my contract I need to give two months notice if I don't want to extend the contract, but wanted to know if anyone had bad experiences with only giving two months?
  • Carrot3
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend rented off them for over a year and when we moved out they was a nightmare with the deposit! One week they said we would get the full amount the nect it was £30 less. After an amount was settled they told us that they would send it via cheque in the post. 2 weeks went and buy and still no sign of the cheque so I rang and enquired about it. The woman was very helpful and sympathetic in the phone and told me that it hadn't even been authorised so had to wait a further 8 days until it was credited into our account. So all in all it took 5 weeks to get the deposit back! Was not happy at all!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Bosco13 wrote: »
    I am currently renting my house out through north woods guaranteed rental scheme as I have gone overseas. Since the day tenants moved in my neighbours have been contacting to say they are awful and the house is being trashed! Funnily enough when north wood said they done an inspection they said the house is fine and there is no damage.

Can anyone give some advice as to when you contacted north wood to terminate the contract?! It says in my contract I need to give two months notice if I don't want to extend the contract, but wanted to know if anyone had bad experiences with only giving two months?

Not to criticise too much, but even with a basic knowledge of their system, and having never seen the contract; you realise northwood are your tenants? You can't cancel the contract, you must wait for the 6 or 12 months and serve notice. Even then their tenants may not leave. It could be another 6 months before you see your property.

Did you do an inventory?

They rent out to anyone when your on that scheme. Chances are the first people who came along. They even prefer benefits clients.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback