PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone use Northwood Lettings

Options

Comments

• AndyHolden
    Options
    I let my flat out through Northwood but when it was returned it was in a terrible state - carpet burnt with cigarettes event thought it was supposed to be let to non smokers, leaking tap in the kitchen not repaired for months ruining the cupboard beneath and making the floor saoking wet, garden fence burned down, whole place really filthy.

Basically they guarantee rent by letting it to whoever - maninly seems to be DSS in spite of any promises otherwise.

I am now trying to sell my property but have just had the power cut off by bailiffs as the tenant didn't pay the bills.

If you have a property to let use anyone but northwood!
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glaswegian wrote: »
    At my wits end with these folk.

Tell lies on the phone. Staff are rude. Don't reply to phonecalls. Maintenance is diabolical.

There's no telephone number for head office. Have no idea how a company can get away with being so bad.

I vaugely remember the printed folder that comes with the agreement and promotion stuff had an address for HQ. Pretty sure a compliants procedure should be in the contract.
  • mlz1413
    Options
    AndyHolden wrote: »
    I let my flat out through Northwood but when it was returned it was in a terrible state - carpet burnt with cigarettes event thought it was supposed to be let to non smokers, leaking tap in the kitchen not repaired for months ruining the cupboard beneath and making the floor saoking wet, garden fence burned down, whole place really filthy.

Basically they guarantee rent by letting it to whoever - maninly seems to be DSS in spite of any promises otherwise.

I am now trying to sell my property but have just had the power cut off by bailiffs as the tenant didn't pay the bills.

If you have a property to let use anyone but northwood!

That's terrible, didn't you get photos of the property with an inventory when it rented out?

Are northwood denying responsiblity?
    I'd get a free 1/2 hr with a local solicitor and get legal advise on sueing them if they are.
  • Suzanne_Louise
    Options
    I've just completed my case with the Property Ombudsman after using them. They were constantly late in paying the rent to me, and didn't even know they'd not paid it. Didn't receive statements for 2 months. Ignored solicitors letters. Didn't protect the deposit unti 10 month after the tenant moved in. Head Office offered me £50 compensation. TPO rewarded me £100 compensation. I'm still out of pocket, and would NEVER recommend them to anyone!
  • GillsMan7
    Options
    Just to say, that we were tenants through them last year in Crawley and found them to be a breath of fresh air. Maybe it just varies from branch to branch?

Certainly better than our current agents. :mad:
  • UnionGirl
    UnionGirl Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I use Northwood Lettings and having entrusted them to rent out my 2 bed-roomed flat to either a couple or two professionals (what Northwood told me), I since discovered there were at least 8 different people living in it!!

I phoned Northwood to let them know this and they basically didn't believe me and wouldn't enter my flat unannounced. Now, do the police phone and warn you if you are going to get raided? I think therefore that Northwood shouldn't have given prior warning as (surprise, surprise) there was no quilts, mattresses and bedding all over my livingroom when Northwood visited.

I signed up for a contract for 12mths with Northwood (9 months left), but Northwood have agreed to give me my flat back 3 months from now. What I really want to know is have I any legal comeback to get my guaranteed rental scheme money from Northwood for the full 12 months, instead of just 6?

Anybody help please?

I know in the contract that it says that 'Northwood will endeavour to stop any behaviour that is a nuisance or frustrating to the landlord'. The contract I've got is as tight as a duck's bottom - but all on Northwood's side!!
    As my Mum always said "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
  • mlz1413
    Options
    LL and their agents have to give notice to visit / inspect and I doubt they could legally 'raid' a rented property.

They could have done inspections more regularly but would have probably had to have found some reason upon inspection to do this. ie 8 toothbrushes, bundles of bedding etc.

I think if you get your flat back clean and without damage you just have to accept this can happen to any LL and LA, from the stories I have read when this happens the couple that view, sign the contracts and pay the deposit/rent are very respectable.

Not sure what compension could be due or what you are after?
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What happens about damages and deposits? Who protects deposits and pays for it?

Who pays bills (council tax, standing charges) if property is vacant?
  • ellies_angel
    Options
    I use Northwood in Aberdeen as my letting agents for my house. They have been my agents now for 14 months. I went for the guarenteed income which means I pay a hefty % but get my rent regardless of tennants. A price I'm willing to pay.

I have found them to be very proffessional, helpful and on the ball. They arranged building and contents insurance for me (cheaper than I could and with better cover) they inspect my property quarterly and let me know if the tennants have any problems and deal with them straight away.

It is a francise (spelt wrong I know) and think I have been lucky that the guy who has the Aberdeen branch cares very much that he is providing a good service. I have no complaints.
    :rotfl: l love this site!! :rotfl:
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work out they charge about 25% of rental for their service.

Standard letting agent charges about 15% (including VAT). Add on the £300 for tenant rent and legal insurance, 1 months void period and you come to around 35% or rental.

So not too bad a deal
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure