March 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 118

New Post Advanced Search

March 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.3K replies 107.5K views

Replies

• MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I am really pleased that I managed to achieve seven whole NSDs in a row. I didn't buy any food or household items from last Thursday until today when I did my usual main shop at Sainsbury's. Managed to spend under £40 on food, leaving around £60 for next week's last shop of the month. This should be do-able as I bought a lovely big leg of NZ lamb in Sainsbury's on special offer today to put in the freezer for Easter.

Today we had a sausage casserole at lunch time (I am at work at the moment until 9 pm!) and I cooked the veg gratin for tomorrow night's supper so that I can just crash when I get in from work! I made the gratin using up leftover cauli and broccoli which was on its last legs in the fridge and a carrot and one leek which I bought today.

DH had the day off to install the worktop for my office desk but I don't think he's finished yet! I am getting a bit anxious as at the moment the office is 'camping' in the dining room and I need the space when we have visitors at Easter! I am sure it will be all right in the end though.

Will update my signature when I get home (I need to check my receipts to get the exact figure). BTW I usually cook rice in the microwave: Cover the rice with boiling water and the cover the dish with cling film, venting to let the steam escape - cook for about 15 minutes - I usually do 10 mins and stir then another 3-5 mins. Drain the rice in a colander and then rinse with boiling water if using straight away or cold water if cooking for a dish that you are going to eat later.

Moniker
  • curly_cabbagecurly_cabbage Forumite
    456 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    4 NSD in a row today, not planning to go near the shops tomorrow so i'm feeling pretty good. Having a baking day tomorrow, might try the milionair shortbread that sounds really yummy Thanks anglenikki. Mrs Mc i had your bagels that i made yesterday for lunch today they are great too. Since i have been following this thread i have been bake so much more home made food which has got to better for us than thr processed stuff and the daving is pretty good on the purse too.

CC
  • icandream wrote: »
    Can anybody help: I've looked on the indexed collections, but can't see it?

Been at work all day, don't know if this has already been posted:

MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD

Base

175g plain flour
    125g butter cut into small pieces
    50g soft brown sugar

Topping

50g butter
    50g soft brown sugar
    400g can condensed milk
    150g milk chocolate
    • Grease a 23cm square cake tin/pan
    • Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
    • Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared tin and !!!!! with a fork.
    • Bake in a preheated oven 190 oC/375oF/gas mark 5 for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
    • To make the topping, place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil.
    • Reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the caramel is pale golden and thick and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Pour the topping over the shortbread base and leave to cool.
    • When the caramel topping is firm, melt the chocolate. Spread the melted chocolate over the topping, leave to set in a cool place, then cut the shortbread into squares or fingers to serve.

WARNING – THIS RECIPE COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WAISTLINE!
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    icandream wrote: »
    Yum - thanks, Nikki. I'll make this one in a few days, after the one Rosieben led me too, and see which comes up best. Both sound rather good, but it's great to have a recommended recipe. Can't wait.

Ooh I'm nervous now! I hope you like it! I bet you're gonna be popular though if you're making two lots in one week!
    Nikki
    x
    :A
  • angelnikki wrote: »
    This is the recipe I use for millionaire’s shortbread

Millionaire’s Shortbread

Ingredients

175g/6 oz plain flour
    125g/4 ½ oz butter cut into small pieces
    50g/1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar sieved
    Topping
    50g/1 ¾ oz butter
    50g/ 1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar
    400g/14oz can condensed milk
    150g/5 ½ oz milk chocolate

1. Grease a 23cm/9inch square cake tin.
    2. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
    3. Press the dough into the prepared tin and pr1ck with a fork.
    4. Bake in a preheated oven 190c/ 375f/ gas5 for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
    5. To make the topping place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil.
    6. Reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the caramel is pale golden and thick and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Pour the topping over the shortbread base and leave to cool.
    7. When the caramel topping is firm, melt the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate over the topping leave to set in a cool place then cut the shortbread into squares or fingers to serve.

Nikki
    x

Oops! Looks like we've got the same cookery book :rotfl:

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • angelnikkiangelnikki Forumite
    892 posts
    Been at work all day, don't know if this has already been posted:

MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD

That's the same as mine!
    :A
  • angelnikki wrote: »
    That's the same as mine!

I bought a 50p cookery book from our local charity shop, it's got some great baking ideas - but this millionaire's shortbread is going to be my downfall.

FFM :)
  • shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    whoooops!Not organised,no batch cooking days so far this month and we were out late tonight,dentist and clubs.I bought takeaway:o .Feeling guilty and am £20 poorer.It will not happen again.I must pre-prepare dinner for late nights.Still within target despite takeaway.
    Good luck with your own targets everyone:D .
    I am off to update my sig now.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Quick update
    We spent £2.00 on milk bringing our March total to £55.44 (including long term monthly payment). Very pleased with ourselves, can't wait until we can add final amount to our C.American savings.
    As for April's budget-bought some non-perishable items off the list in order to use a voucher. Planned all the meals-off school for 3 weeks (I usually eat my main meal there-great perk) and want to batch cook cheap (ish) non-meat meals that we'll both eat. Poor OB is a little sad that its Fish or Vegetarian all the way.
    Keep up the good work everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 posts
    Evening everyone.

Not much of our budget left now as I went on a spendathon and managed to get everything we need for meals up to the 31st (except a chicken which I need to buy nearer Easter weekend). I visited Somerfield where I picked up some reduced diced turkey and mince, Co-op where I got some reduced WW bread, then went to Lidl where I got the rest. If we are sensible then all we should need to buy between now and the end of the month will be milk, bread, fruit and veg. I've got £35 left so should manage it I THINK!:confused: I've hidden some stuff in the garage so DD and DS don't eat too many crisps and snacks thinking they've got an endless suppy! The oven will be on tomorrow evening when I try to make the Jamie Oliver Mozzarella pasta bake that he's been doing on the advert lately, so I'm going to make some more cakes.

How can you tell if someone is online? Someone mentioned a green light?

Good luck everyone. Half way through the month now!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500